So, what Matrix games would sell well on Steam?

Started by JasonPratt, May 01, 2014, 11:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on May 02, 2014, 03:51:31 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 02, 2014, 12:23:10 PM
4.) I see your DW and raise you SCOURGE OF FREAKING WAR. Cinematic, deep gameplay, a ton of expansions and mod support.

Yes, also a great suggestion!  I think that game would also sell quite well on Steam.  Easy to play with lots of sandbox goodness!

The multi-player is also a lot of fun, although I've had some experiences with stuttery lag at times.

jomni


Nefaro

That's a rather odd choice.  Since ROP is one of the more difficult AGE games to learn.

I would've chosen AJE & BOR, especially since the whole Rome setting is on people's radar at the moment.  Or even Birth of America 2 since it doesn't require the army command organization either. 

They should definitely put up the Distant Worlds and SOW series, as mentioned.  I can see those as appealing to the widest range of potential casual purchases.  I didn't mention Qvadriga because it has (or is getting) a tablet version so perhaps that shouldn't be a Steam priority over others.

I'm thinking that Slitherine/Matrix is only putting up their older slower selling titles and keeping the newer stuff in-house right now, though.

Martok

Quote from: Nefaro on May 08, 2014, 05:04:34 AM
I'm thinking that Slitherine/Matrix is only putting up their older slower selling titles and keeping the newer stuff in-house right now, though.
I think you've nailed it. 

I'm sure that's why Distant Worlds isn't on there yet as well.  They'll wait til at least a year after the Universe package goes on their own shelves before they put it on Steam. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on May 08, 2014, 05:04:34 AM
That's a rather odd choice.  Since ROP is one of the more difficult AGE games to learn.

I guess their theory is if Pr0n is already on Steam, anything less complex is less complex by comparison? On the other hand, ROP isn't especially an old title compared to other Ageod games, so Slither is showing some range in putting up relatively new titles.

Quote from: Nefaro on May 08, 2014, 05:04:34 AMI would've chosen AJE & BOR, especially since the whole Rome setting is on people's radar at the moment.  Or even Birth of America 2 since it doesn't require the army command organization either.

Very much agreed on both points. For Liberty! would be a good alternate non-AGE system choice.
[/quote]
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Surtur

Hi guys,

The reason we brought Pride of Nations and Rise of Prussia to Steam was because they were already there before under Paradox. We updated and reactivated them more or less.

Other games we currently have on Steam are: Panzer Corps, Battle Academy and Pandora. We are preparing more games for Steam, some of which we probably will announce at Home of Wargamers this week. I can say that it will include some new releases.

"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

Nefaro

Quote from: Surtur on May 12, 2014, 11:08:52 AM
Hi guys,

The reason we brought Pride of Nations and Rise of Prussia to Steam was because they were already there before under Paradox. We updated and reactivated them more or less.

Other games we currently have on Steam are: Panzer Corps, Battle Academy and Pandora. We are preparing more games for Steam, some of which we probably will announce at Home of Wargamers this week. I can say that it will include some new releases.

Thanks for the info.  I stand corrected.

Rayfer

Quote from: Surtur on May 12, 2014, 11:08:52 AM
Hi guys,

The reason we brought Pride of Nations and Rise of Prussia to Steam was because they were already there before under Paradox. We updated and reactivated them more or less.

Other games we currently have on Steam are: Panzer Corps, Battle Academy and Pandora. We are preparing more games for Steam, some of which we probably will announce at Home of Wargamers this week. I can say that it will include some new releases.

Thanks for the clarification. Look forward to seeing both the old and new that you put on Steam.

Surtur

The whole Steam thing will probably also be a topic during the Question Time at Home of Wargamers tomorrow. If you have any specific questions, you can also send them to us (BartS@Slitherine.co.uk) and we will try and fire them at JD.
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

jomni


Rayfer

Quote from: jomni on August 15, 2014, 06:51:12 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen...

Advanced Tactics Gold
http://store.steampowered.com/app/310390/

This is one I've been tempted to try but didn't during the Matrix holiday sales. I wonder what the pricing will be?

JasonPratt

Yeah, I saw that, too, but didn't remember it was from Matrix. Super-astonished.

I'm going to guess that they're floating it as a test for how well a harder-core game would do on Steam, preparatory to opening up the Grigsby Lifestyle Modulation Challenges and things of that ilk.  :D

(Like maybe WW1G, cough cough...  >:D )

Since early May, by the way, when the thread started we've seen Distant Worlds go up (as Distant Worlds Universe); Qvadriga; and the last of the old-engine Close Combat games (Gateway to Caen). Those were recommended upthread.

Also Pandora (which actually hadn't been released yet when Surtur from Slither told us about it); the latest AGEOD game CW2 (and its expansion); and the newly developed multi-platform (PC and pad) Frontline: Road to Moscow.


And now (in about half a day remaining) ATG.

ATG! ATG! Say it quickly now with me!
ATG! ATG! Say it quickly now with me!
ATG! ATG! Say it quickly now with me!
ATG! ATG! Say it quickly now with me!
ATG! ATG! SAY IT QUICKLY NOW WITH ME!

(note: never played ATG. Still kinda pumped about it being there. :) )


Next up, I shall use our reality-bending powers to suggest the Conflict of Heroes games (which I think would make a ton of sense on Steam as colorful as attractive turn-based games with respectful pedigrees, opening up the way for L&L);

Espana 1936 (for the oh-you-like-AGEOD-huh-well-here's-something-you-definitely-aren't-going-to-find-anywhere-else recent release which could stand some extra exposure);

and the Command Ops games (which would be completely insane but what the hell are reality-bending powers for otherwise?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

sandman2575

I think Conflict of Heroes would be awesome on Steam.  (What I really want is Conflict of Heroes on ipad!!! but that's another story).  Fantastic game.

Also hope that the other Viktor Reikjerz titles will be offered now that AT Gold is up:  Decisive Campaigns Warsaw to Paris and Case Blue.  Again, both are absolute gems.

Nefaro

They used Das' LetsPlay for one of the Steam videos.  Which is cool but it's cut off before he actually starts playing the game in earnest.  So you just see him talking about the game setup screens.  ;D

Steelgrave

Quote from: jomni on August 15, 2014, 06:51:12 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen...

Advanced Tactics Gold
http://store.steampowered.com/app/310390/

I was about to fire this one up again for the weekend. Think I'll nab my Steam code while I'm at it.