Main Menu

Sci Fi x4 game?

Started by TacticalWargames, May 01, 2014, 03:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ian C

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 09, 2014, 10:00:26 AM
Ian -- maybe you could start a new thread with that last great post -- just cut and repost it and give it its own thread, if that's allowed.  I think this could be a very interesting discussion but don't want to further derail this thread which should be about space 4x.

(I definitely want to respond in some detail, but at work so probably won't have a chance to do so until later this evening or tomorrow.)

Done - new thread started here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=10066.0

RedArgo

Quote from: Ian C on May 02, 2014, 07:52:38 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2014, 06:10:15 AM
I still say a modded and patched MOO3 is king. It matches all of the criteria noted by the OP and exceeds everything else in executing it. Best ground combat, good ship design, detailed ship combat, etc.

I was about to post the exact same.

I've got the gog version with Vanilla 1.5 installed (the bug fixes, no mod extras) and it's THE best 4x game I've played as yet.
(Windows 7 install info here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=6576.30)

BTW, what other mods are good ones to try?

I got the GOG version of MOO3 installed this weekend with the Tropical mod.  In addition to these instructions, I also had to download MFC71.dll and register it in the syswow64 folder in order to get the MOO3patcher program to work.  This is on a Windows 8 computer.

I just started re-learning the game, so hopefully I will discover the fun you guys are having.

Thanks for the instructions.

Boggit

What about Arcen's AI War? That's pretty good. Also Solar War is quite different - although not really 4X, and no sound! :o You have to stream your own music for that one, but no sound is...weird. Good game though.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

vyshka

Quote from: mikeck on May 03, 2014, 12:10:16 PM
Anyone know of anywhere to get a manual for MOO 3? Or maybe a web site that explains how to play? I watched the "let's play" videos awile ago but still have questions

Also if you have the tropical mod installed, look inside the encyclopedia. There are a bunch of guides from online installed there now.

mikeck

Ok. In game encyclopedia? Or is it saved in a file?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

vyshka

Quote from: mikeck on May 16, 2014, 09:01:18 PM
Ok. In game encyclopedia? Or is it saved in a file?

The in-game encyclopedia:




mikeck

Quote from: vyshka on May 16, 2014, 09:37:31 PM
Quote from: mikeck on May 16, 2014, 09:01:18 PM
Ok. In game encyclopedia? Or is it saved in a file?

The in-game encyclopedia:





Damn...played for 3 hours and never even saw that. Thanks
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson