Tomshardware Review of ESO, Ouch!

Started by SgtRock, May 06, 2014, 08:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Yskonyn


I have pointed out my dissent over how this thread started.
And I have illustrated my points about the why.

The arguement was about the negativity (not solely towards ESO, but it happened to be the example) and the rabid copy and paste of arguements and false claims. A trend I find on the internet.

Now I am challenged to write a review. That was not the point.
The other thread might see more impressions from my part, though, so keep an eye on that.

Its not about defending ESO specifically. Its about a common mentality found on the internet at large put to example here when this thread kicked off. That I called out.

If there is interest in a decent discussion about ESO I will be happy to engage in it, but I am not going to waste my time getting lectured, get a condescending tone sent to me or having to keep rephrasing my points in order for someone to understand. I think I have been clear enough.

I am more than happy to disagree.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 08, 2014, 08:16:47 PM

I have pointed out my dissent over how this thread started.
And I have illustrated my points about the why.

The arguement was about the negativity (not solely towards ESO, but it happened to be the example) and the rabid copy and paste of arguements and false claims. A trend I find on the internet.

Now I am challenged to write a review. That was not the point.
The other thread might see more impressions from my part, though, so keep an eye on that.

Its not about defending ESO specifically. Its about a common mentality found on the internet at large put to example here when this thread kicked off. That I called out.

If there is interest in a decent discussion about ESO I will be happy to engage in it, but I am not going to waste my time getting lectured, get a condescending tone sent to me or having to keep rephrasing my points in order for someone to understand. I think I have been clear enough.

I am more than happy to disagree.

Ok, I disagree.

I find announcing that your lectures are sufficient and insistence that anyone who does not agree with them simply doesn't understand you to be very condescending, and I am embarrassed for you that you can feel the need to judge and condemn others for -- guess what? -- judging and condemning. I find meeting negativity with your own negativity is at least as hypocritical as me commenting on it.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Yskonyn

#32
Whatever man. *shrug

Did you even read a word I said other than 'I am happy to disagree' ?
If you found my post to be 'lectures' then clearly frustration got in your way.

I would like to remind you that I have tried to illustrate my points with examples. Just to keep the discussion as clear as possible. If that comes across as lecturing then I am at a loss on how to engage in discussion.

Might I also remind you that I was on the receiving end, if anything. The dictionary reference and your quote about 'bitching on' being Prime examples.
You constantly try to lay words in my mouth by claiming 'I reject this and that because it doesn't conform to my niche view'.

Sidetracking to focus on why ESO is bad or not. That wasn't even the point of the discussion I started; is was about how this thread started off trying to piss on the game using references from sources I found questionable and by people who don't even play. The whole discussion could have easily been going on about a totally different game. ESO is just the example being used here.

But once I come with examples to fund my views and try to explain what caused the discussion in the first place I am lecturing All of a sudden?
Someone's on a high horse here alright, but it sure as hell isn't me.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SgtRock

I don't own ESO but, have played the released version for about 3-4 hrs, never played the beta's.

Good
- Combat, it's more than just spamming the 1 key
- Crafting is well done.
- Voice Acting better than most MMO's
- Story (3-4 hours, isn't long enough to see any??)
- Good Solo play

Bad
- Still Buggy
- Grouping outside of PVP is just bad/total crap design
- Big world but a lot looks the same
- Cost/Pricing - total money grab
- Loot VS. Cost of things like Mounts (rip-off) most FTP have free mounts
- Bots/campers - in the little I played I saw a lot of characters just camping on top of areas where enemies/bosses respawn
- Cookie cutter design, most dungeons are the same (first 10 ten, 71% total in game)
- UI could be better, provide more info

Bottom Line
- It's just not worth the cost
- There are better Free to play MMO's
- I didn't see anything New, that isn't in existing MMO's
- Story/ES Lore just don't out weigh game play for me.








GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 09, 2014, 04:58:01 AM
Whatever man. *shrug

Did you even read a word I said other than 'I am happy to disagree' ?
If you found my post to be 'lectures' then clearly frustration got in your way.

I would like to remind you that I have tried to illustrate my points with examples. Just to keep the discussion as clear as possible. If that comes across as lecturing then I am at a loss on how to engage in discussion.

Might I also remind you that I was on the receiving end, if anything. The dictionary reference and your quote about 'bitching on' being Prime examples.
You constantly try to lay words in my mouth by claiming 'I reject this and that because it doesn't conform to my niche view'.

Sidetracking to focus on why ESO is bad or not. That wasn't even the point of the discussion I started; is was about how this thread started off trying to piss on the game using references from sources I found questionable and by people who don't even play. The whole discussion could have easily been going on about a totally different game. ESO is just the example being used here.

But once I come with examples to fund my views and try to explain what caused the discussion in the first place I am lecturing All of a sudden?
Someone's on a high horse here alright, but it sure as hell isn't me.

You have some mighty powerful protection from irony panties there. What are they? +5? +11? Vorpal protection from irony panties?

You did get one thing right. You don't know how to discuss.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: SgtRock on May 09, 2014, 10:15:23 AM
I don't own ESO but, have played the released version for about 3-4 hrs, never played the beta's.

Good
- Combat, it's more than just spamming the 1 key
- Crafting is well done.
- Voice Acting better than most MMO's
- Story (3-4 hours, isn't long enough to see any??)
- Good Solo play

Bad
- Still Buggy
- Grouping outside of PVP is just bad/total crap design
- Big world but a lot looks the same
- Cost/Pricing - total money grab
- Loot VS. Cost of things like Mounts (rip-off) most FTP have free mounts
- Bots/campers - in the little I played I saw a lot of characters just camping on top of areas where enemies/bosses respawn
- Cookie cutter design, most dungeons are the same (first 10 ten, 71% total in game)
- UI could be better, provide more info

Bottom Line
- It's just not worth the cost
- There are better Free to play MMO's
- I didn't see anything New, that isn't in existing MMO's
- Story/ES Lore just don't out weigh game play for me.

Wow. A review shockingly close to the evil satanspawn that is Toms Hardware. I hope Sgt Rock can withstand Yskonyn's contempt.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

bayonetbrant

just a reminder to please keep the discussion focused on the game, or reviews of the game, and not on each other.

thanks!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

There's only one answer to this impass:

Thunderdome!


:P

SgtRock

It's the ES lore that attracts players to ESO, to me it's just not enough for others it is. I've played GW2 for almost 2 yrs now, I couldn't tell you what the story is, I play because I like the game play. Each month I set my own goals in the game, this month it's to reach 600 gold (595 so far), complete Leather Working (crafting) to 500 (done!) and complete my first full set of Ascended Armor (2 more pieces to go, looks like 2 more weeks of farming).




Yskonyn

Quote from: SgtRock on May 09, 2014, 11:42:43 AM
It's the ES lore that attracts players to ESO, to me it's just not enough for others it is. I've played GW2 for almost 2 yrs now, I couldn't tell you what the story is, I play because I like the game play. Each month I set my own goals in the game, this month it's to reach 600 gold (595 so far), complete Leather Working (crafting) to 500 (done!) and complete my first full set of Ascended Armor (2 more pieces to go, looks like 2 more weeks of farming).

Yes I think so too.
And with sites like The Imperial Library with its immense display of TES lore there is a lot to digest for those who are into it! :)

I can see where players like yourself would find the experience in ESO not to your liking at all.
In the end most quests still are of the classic Fed-ex, Kill X, etc flavour. If you don't care for the lore you wil often miss the abundant references to it in the NPC conversations.
In this sense it probably caters more to the singleplayer RPG crowd who takes their time to get immersed into the gameworld much more than the modern MMO player who is more about progression, gear and raids than about story and lore.

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

Yassy,
Can you (or anyone else) link to a good Youtube video showing gameplay?  I've tried searching a few times, but I hate, HATE, videos with dudes talking during the video about what they're doing, critiquing the game, etc. 

I just want to get a sense of what unedited, unnarrated gameplay looks like.  I can't believe how hard that has been to find...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

Those are indeed hard to find...

Your YouTube search will be as good as mine I am afraid. :(

I only know of either teaser trailers, presentations (QuakeCon, etc) or Let's Play's.
But those don't qualify, I would say...

We're going on a holiday for two weeks and will have no internet, so I am sorry I can't be of any more help.

Perhaps others can link something you're looking for?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

I found a few videos- you have to Youtube search for "Elder Scrolls Online No Commentary"

I have to say that I'm seriously thinking about jumping on this bandwagon.  It's not like $60 is going to prevent me from retiring a year earlier or anything...   :o



"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tpek

I'm actually getting a bit bored with the game, so if any of you guys on the American servers care to guild-up, it'd be nice.