Main Menu

X-Rebirth

Started by JudgeDredd, May 17, 2014, 12:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 22, 2014, 11:49:33 AM
I didn't have an issue with performance in general. It still suffers from loading textures though...so when you dock and walk off the ship, the textures load piecemeal and characters shapes appear piecemeal. But it was like that before. I haven't noticed any slow down and I haven't noticed any speed up because it wasn't slow for me before...sorry

I'm still holding out hope that they implement an option to avoid walking around on stations in first-person mode completely, in some future patch.  What a useless waste of resources that was.

Let me know if they ever do.

mikeck

The last patch allows you to do just that. Talk to people without docking at the station. If you repairs or to add something onto your ships (like new guns), you have to dock
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on May 24, 2014, 08:31:56 PM
The last patch allows you to do just that. Talk to people without docking at the station. If you repairs or to add something onto your ships (like new guns), you have to dock

Yes, I read that.  I would like to skip all of it, but I'll take what I can get.

Yskonyn

After six months I think its a good sign and pretty impressive what the devs have done to Rebirth. Eventhough they kept telling us that Rebirth is X4, it does seem like they are willing to glide a bit more towards the traditional X gameplay afterall.

Once fleet command and control gets a further overhaul (assuming that is on the shortlist) I think we will be headed in the right direction quite a bit.

I am not sure if I want to spend a lot of free time with 2.0 already or wait and see until the game has matured a bit more, though.
Lots of other games to play and with Distant Worlds Universe being released I have a good 'empire building' fix. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

RooksBailey

Sorry to necro this, but I didn't see the point of starting a new thread.

So, while I eagerly await Elite: Dangerous 1.3, I was checking out some other space games to keep me distracted.  I happened across the X:Rebirth site and saw that that game is now at version 3.5.  Anybody have any opinions on its current state?  Is the train wreck cleaned up yet?  I have to admit this Let's Play makes it seem more palatable now:

Seeing how you can get a copy for $13 on Amazon, is it worth the price?  I would never give Egosoft full price after what they pulled, but I think I could swallow that price. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Jarhead0331

Yeah...that's a good let's play. Makes me want to jump back in and give it a shot.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

I've read about people enjoying it much more after all the updates.  I'm sure it still doesn't have the depth of the previous X3 series, but maybe it's in decent shape. 

Despite having all three, I've not really played X-Rebirth, Elite: Dangerous, or Starpoint Gemini 2.  Thought I was in a space mercenary mood when I got them but that hasn't been the case yet. 

I've heard good stuff about Starpoint Gemini 2, but when I checked it out in early access, the environment felt rather dead to me.  Maybe that was just the noob zone?  I thought the first SpG had a lot of potential, especially since it's combat was inspired by Starfleet Command 2/3 but they changed that in the sequel.  X-Rebirth did feel like you were flying around in active populated areas IMO, so hopefully some of the other complaints have been addressed since then.  I really need to give each of these some time, once I'm in the mood for some Space Truckin'.

mikeck

I can't get it to play nice with my Sidewinder stick. Goes nuts. I've tried everything. its in good condition now but I have to shelve it until I get a new controller
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

RooksBailey

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I was perusing the official forums and reading some threads on the state of the game.  The consensus seems to be that the current state is very playable, and even enjoyable, but some more work needs to be done, particularly on AI (station managers in particular) and end game gameplay (once you build a station or two, most players seem to think that there isn't much left to do at that point).  In general, XR players feel another DLC or expansion is required for XR to be as good as it can be. 

I am disappointed to hear that the upgrade path for your one and only ship is still very limited.  That, more than anything, is what is now keeping me from getting the game.  I don't mind being limited to one ship, but you better give me a lot to do with that one ship when it comes to expanding its capabilities and looks.  I recall Egosoft initially saying that the Skunk was fully upgradeable, but as with a lot about XR, that never was the case.  If they ever release DLC that addresses this, then I might give the game a try. 

BTW: interesting tidbit: a few weeks ago one of the Egosoft devs let it be known that they are working on improving the XR engine for another game in the series.  To be honest, I'd thought EG would be out of business by now.   >:D

Quote from: Nefaro on May 10, 2015, 08:59:43 AM
I've read about people enjoying it much more after all the updates.  I'm sure it still doesn't have the depth of the previous X3 series, but maybe it's in decent shape. 

I've heard good stuff about Starpoint Gemini 2, but when I checked it out in early access, the environment felt rather dead to me.  Maybe that was just the noob zone?  I thought the first SpG had a lot of potential, especially since it's combat was inspired by Starfleet Command 2/3 but they changed that in the sequel.

I have Starpoint Gemini 2 and the DLC but have only put six hours into it so far. What I have experienced I really liked.  Really, but for Elite Dangerous releasing at almost the same time, I probably would have played SG2 much more.  The only thing I feel SG2 is lacking is more of a strategy element where you can control space and build stations (as in X3).  The devs are going to put that into an expansion, but that isn't expected to arrive until "Winter 2015."  Good news, though: another bit of DLC is expected "Summer 2015" and will be priced the same as the previous DLC at $5!  Looking forward to it.

I think I will boot up SG2 while I await ED 1.3. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Yskonyn

Patch 4.0 is out along with another DLC pack called Home of Light.

You still can't fly other ships, but the empire building and management aspects of the game have vast improved and Expanded upon .
Many old players who are fan of X3 but disliked Rebirth are poking their heads back in on the forums and actually seem pleased with where the game now stands .

Perhaps a great time to revisit Rebirth with a fresh second look.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

^ Colour me interested - I'll have a look as one of those "X-Reunion was great - what's this shite?" people  O0
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

I've played around with it for an hour or so and the game has come a long way in terms of UI streamlining and controller support.
I was able to setup and configure my HOTAS and pedals in a same manner of control scheme as I use in Elite in a few seconds and the UI in general seems vastly improved.

Character models are still quite bad, but the ships, stations and world is absolutely gorgeous still.

Nothing to report on actual gameplay yet, but this return is a friendly one so far at least, regarding controls and UI. That used to be a big frustrating experience in this game, so if the gameplay has been expanded on just as nicely I think I might have found me a winner here.
Will report more later.

solops

Got it for $10. We'll see...
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Staggerwing

Intrigued, I went to the Steam page to check out the sale. Guess what I found?

QuoteX Rebirth is already in your Steam library

D'oh!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

solops

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 27, 2016, 03:29:21 PM
Intrigued, I went to the Steam page to check out the sale. Guess what I found?

QuoteX Rebirth is already in your Steam library

D'oh!

<Snicker> I bet it happens to Jarhead all the time (Mr. 600+ Steam games...)
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin