Main Menu

WITP Admirals Edition

Started by magnus, June 02, 2014, 04:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

#75
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 11, 2014, 01:18:16 AM
Yeah the video's are helpful indeed.
What I struggle with is that the manual only explaines what this button and that button does in a technical way. It never discusses the bigger picture of how to combine all those options into a strategy or explain the why of things.

It's like an engineers manual for an aircraft rather than its flight manual for pilots. ;)

I'm generally okay with that since that's what I need - a summation of what each command does.  As long as it's reasonably definitive.

I've also read about some commands that are hidden a few layers down.  For example, the way you reform an air unit is going through about three or four layers to finally get the option of spending political points to do so.  I probably wouldn't have found that for a long time, and only if I had started clicking on all kinds of stuff out of curiosity (after saving).

As for strategies in combining all the disparate parts, that has always been something firmly in the realm of user-created guides, tutorials, and AARs with other games.  It's a rare manual that offers much more than the most basic rules of thumb when it comes to strategies.   I'm just glad a few people have committed some effort to doing so.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Nefaro on June 11, 2014, 07:35:46 AM

As for strategies in combining all the disparate parts, that has always been something firmly in the realm of user-created guides, tutorials, and AARs with other games.  It's a rare manual that offers much more than the most basic rules of thumb when it comes to strategies.   I'm just glad a few people have committed some effort to doing so.

Coming from a simming background I disagree.
Nowadays it seems the case, indeed, but take a look at the manuals of 688i Hunter Killer or even the more recent Dangerous Waters naval sim. Look at many older flight simulators. Most of them were thick and contained a big part about maneuvers, tactics and background stuff. Harpoon 3's manual has a very nice section on tactics as well. I can name others.

With a game as extensive as WitP, I wouldn't have found it very odd to see a big part in the manual about tactics and / or background info about the war itself, its players and the equipment used. But alas. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SgtRock

One has to remember WITP AE was made for and by WITP players, think Grogs remaking a Grog game for other Grogs (it's like inbreeding  ;))!

Yskonyn

Ah right. That makes sense.  C:-)  :smitten:

Do you know if the original WitP had a tutorial or a tactics/background section in the manual or as an addendum? If so, would that still be usable for AE?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 11, 2014, 01:02:50 PM
Ah right. That makes sense.  C:-)  :smitten:

Do you know if the original WitP had a tutorial or a tactics/background section in the manual or as an addendum? If so, would that still be usable for AE?

original did, AE changed the UI and functionality of somethings and it did not apply in AE

best thing i ever did was find a PBEM opponent as soon as i bought the game and we worked it out by trial and error

bbmike

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 11, 2014, 04:08:12 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 11, 2014, 01:02:50 PM
Ah right. That makes sense.  C:-)  :smitten:

Do you know if the original WitP had a tutorial or a tactics/background section in the manual or as an addendum? If so, would that still be usable for AE?

original did, AE changed the UI and functionality of somethings and it did not apply in AE

best thing i ever did was find a PBEM opponent as soon as i bought the game and we worked it out by trial and error

I'm hoping a few trys playing both sides in hotseat mode will also help.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Just keep playing Guadalcanal. I has all the critical elements except Japanese aircraft production and pilot training.

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SgtRock

The best tutorial is reading some the AAR's on the Matrix forums, also reading about what the Japanese & Allies did in the pacific war.

WITP-AE is worst game in the world to try to play hot seat both sides!




MengJiao

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 11, 2014, 04:08:12 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 11, 2014, 01:02:50 PM
Ah right. That makes sense.  C:-)  :smitten:

Do you know if the original WitP had a tutorial or a tactics/background section in the manual or as an addendum? If so, would that still be usable for AE?

original did, AE changed the UI and functionality of somethings and it did not apply in AE

best thing i ever did was find a PBEM opponent as soon as i bought the game and we worked it out by trial and error

Very true.  I have to say, though, in my case I've played all the iterations of this system (Guadalcanal(aka, Uncommon Valor), Witp and WitpAE) so a lot of stuff is second-nature.  I still get crushed regularly in PBEM.

Nefaro

Quote from: SgtRock on June 12, 2014, 09:46:15 AM


WITP-AE is worst game in the world to try to play hot seat both sides!

Sweet baby DaJesus on a stick!  I started the grand campaign (#1) as the allies and it has taken me two to three hours just to get the eastern Pacific forces ordered as I want.  That's just the stuff near Hawaii and the west coast!  I still have everything west of the meridian to do!

It's taking me the most time figuring out where and how strong everything is.  The massive amount of clicking on all the orders options isn't helping either.  Perhaps I should start my first grand campaign as Japan?  ???

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on June 12, 2014, 11:58:50 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on June 12, 2014, 09:46:15 AM


WITP-AE is worst game in the world to try to play hot seat both sides!

Sweet baby DaJesus on a stick!  I started the grand campaign (#1) as the allies and it has taken me two to three hours just to get the eastern Pacific forces ordered as I want.  That's just the stuff near Hawaii and the west coast!  I still have everything west of the meridian to do!

It's taking me the most time figuring out where and how strong everything is.  The massive amount of clicking on all the orders options isn't helping either.  Perhaps I should start my first grand campaign as Japan?  ???

I've found Japan to be much more difficult to play in the early part of the campaign.  Every early move is absolutely crucial for the Japanese.  they have to get to the oil production centers and retool their production while carrying on an offensive with a fairly fragile set of forces.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on June 12, 2014, 11:58:50 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on June 12, 2014, 09:46:15 AM


WITP-AE is worst game in the world to try to play hot seat both sides!

Sweet baby DaJesus on a stick!  I started the grand campaign (#1) as the allies and it has taken me two to three hours just to get the eastern Pacific forces ordered as I want.  That's just the stuff near Hawaii and the west coast!  I still have everything west of the meridian to do!

It's taking me the most time figuring out where and how strong everything is.  The massive amount of clicking on all the orders options isn't helping either.  Perhaps I should start my first grand campaign as Japan?  ???

Lol the opening sequences for Japan are twice as long.... if you play an ahistorical start it can take days to perfect the start

SgtRock

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 12, 2014, 01:58:44 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 12, 2014, 11:58:50 AM
Quote from: SgtRock on June 12, 2014, 09:46:15 AM


WITP-AE is worst game in the world to try to play hot seat both sides!

Sweet baby DaJesus on a stick!  I started the grand campaign (#1) as the allies and it has taken me two to three hours just to get the eastern Pacific forces ordered as I want.  That's just the stuff near Hawaii and the west coast!  I still have everything west of the meridian to do!

It's taking me the most time figuring out where and how strong everything is.  The massive amount of clicking on all the orders options isn't helping either.  Perhaps I should start my first grand campaign as Japan?  ???

Lol the opening sequences for Japan are twice as long.... if you play an ahistorical start it can take days to perfect the start

You have 6 months to capture everything you need as Japan, after that it's dig in and hang on for the next 3-1/3 years. Early carrier battles favor the Japanese the real trick is trying to keep things supplied as allied airpower and subs take their toll on shipping. It is possible to win as Japan if you can win the early carrier battles, I remember one game as Japan, one Japanese sub hit 2 carriers one at night and one the next morning, the next day did the same, sinking 4 allied carriers. After that I ran hit and run raids in the South Pacific and India ocean and destroyed allied shipping at will.





KyzBP

Thanks fellas, way to go. >:(  Because of you guys I fired up WiTP:AE and am going to see if I can get past 1941.  I might as well kiss summer good bye.

I'm tempted to see if anyone here wants to learn this thing together while playing PBEM.