Main Menu

Battle Fleet 2

Started by steve58, June 03, 2014, 08:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capitalj

Thanks guys!

Quote from: fabius on July 22, 2014, 07:54:44 PM
1. the AI needs tweaking when attacking Island zones. One battle got boring watching the same ship repeatedly fire into the hills in vain for the gun on the other side

2. Campaign- I really would like to deploy my own formation, not auto deploy haphazardly.

1) good call. Yeah I put in compensation for when AI is firing at ground forces, but when the ground force is on the other side of the island it trips up the AI and they don't realize that there's no way to hit the object from that position. This will take some time to resolve, so probably not in the next update but it's an important issue.

2) Yes, people have mentioned that before so I'll try to work out a system for placing your ships as you choose. It should have been that way all along.

What do you guys think about adding a turn limit to battles? ie: if a battle is not resolved after x turns it ends with a draw.

fabius

Quote from: capitalj on July 22, 2014, 11:43:53 PM
Thanks guys!

1. the AI needs tweaking when attacking Island zones. One battle got boring watching the same ship repeatedly fire into the hills in vain for the gun on the other side

2. Campaign- I really would like to deploy my own formation, not auto deploy haphazardly.

1) good call. Yeah I put in compensation for when AI is firing at ground forces, but when the ground force is on the other side of the island it trips up the AI and they don't realize that there's no way to hit the object from that position. This will take some time to resolve, so probably not in the next update but it's an important issue.

2) Yes, people have mentioned that before so I'll try to work out a system for placing your ships as you choose. It should have been that way all along.

What do you guys think about adding a turn limit to battles? ie: if a battle is not resolved after x turns it ends with a draw.

Thank for your listening to our feedback !!

To be honest so far I've not need a turn time limit. Except that one Island battle  :D I wouldn't be against time limit if it was user choice. To be honest I think that if you put a strict one in you'll get people complaining that they feel rushed. 
Hmm. Turn limit could be good strategically if we then could feed reinforcements into a battle

Talking of Range- I don't know how historical but maybe I'd get more of a duelling tensions sense out of battles if accuracy scaled down at the longer ranges.

tgb

Quote from: capitalj on July 22, 2014, 11:43:53 PM
Thanks guys!

I like the idea of an optional turn limit in battles.  It solves the save problem for people like me who have a limited amount of time for gaming.

steve58

I agree with tgb, optional turn limit in battles  O0

Is there any possibility of adding in some clouds?  Not every naval battle was fought under sunny blue cloudless skies 8)  I'm not necessarily talking weather, just some sporadic cloud cover that ships could duck under to occasionally avoid the enemy...or maybe at least add "steaming into a rain squall to avoid the enemy for 1 turn" as a Strategic Command Card.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

capitalj

Quote from: fabius on July 23, 2014, 02:56:27 AM
Talking of Range- I don't know how historical but maybe I'd get more of a duelling tensions sense out of battles if accuracy scaled down at the longer ranges.

What do you mean "accuracy scaled down"?

Quote from: steve58 on July 23, 2014, 09:02:17 AM
Is there any possibility of adding in some clouds?  Not every naval battle was fought under sunny blue cloudless skies 8)  I'm not necessarily talking weather, just some sporadic cloud cover that ships could duck under to occasionally avoid the enemy...or maybe at least add "steaming into a rain squall to avoid the enemy for 1 turn" as a Strategic Command Card.

Well, clouds could be added but I think it would be more of a visual effect. Except for airstrikes, it could play more of an important role there. I'll look into weather and things like that in the future. It would be good to vary the gameplay by adding different times of day and different weather, but that's all further down the road :)

bobarossa

Picked up the game for my tablet and played one quick battle so far.  Just what I was looking for as I've been trying to get Task Force 1942 running on my PC without success.  I think Fabius was saying that the shots should be less accurate at longer ranges.  You would have to decide whether to waste your ammo at long range looking for a lucky hit or close in for the kill (and risk torpedoes). 

Speaking of Torpedoes, what does the range selection do in this game.  A torpedo should hit anything it runs into.  Shouldn't you always set it to max range? And since the IJN had the best torpedoes in the war (the Long Lance), does this game give them more range than the US?

capitalj

Quote from: bobarossa on July 24, 2014, 02:21:41 PM
Speaking of Torpedoes, what does the range selection do in this game.  A torpedo should hit anything it runs into.  Shouldn't you always set it to max range?

Thanks, glad to hear you like the game. Yes, torpedoes will hit anything in their path, but sometimes if an enemy ship is steaming directly at you there won't be much of a profile to hit so it's possible the torpedo will miss at long range. In those cases if you set the distance and the torpedo explodes next to the enemy ship it can still do some damage. Of course, that's risky because you might set the wrong range :) However if the enemy is exposing their full profile or broadside, then yeah, hit em with max power.

The guns are actually less accurate at longer ranges, so if you fire a gun at max range you will see that the individual shells will spread out somewhat. The red hit circle will also be bigger to show you how much of a spread there is at that point. Perhaps it's not enough of a spread range if it's not obvious, and still too easy to hit at max range... What do you guys think? should guns accuracy be reduced even further at long range to encourage ships to move in closer?

DennisS

Quote from: capitalj on July 24, 2014, 01:57:55 PM
Quote from: fabius on July 23, 2014, 02:56:27 AM

What do you mean "accuracy scaled down"?

Quote from: steve58 on July 23, 2014, 09:02:17 AM

Well, clouds could be added but I think it would be more of a visual effect. Except for airstrikes, it could play more of an important role there. I'll look into weather and things like that in the future. It would be good to vary the gameplay by adding different times of day and different weather, but that's all further down the road :)

Currently, with the range rings, accuracy is reasonably easy. I would like to see fewer range rings, then the accuracy would be much less.

For those ships with radar, then give them more rings.

For those ships with better crews/Captains, then give them more rings.

This game has the potential to be great. Very cool game.

fabius

Yes, I think it's worth trying just a little less accuracy across the whole range spectrum- but more so at top end of range per gun.

QuoteThis game has the potential to be great. Very cool game.
Would agree with DennisS  :)

capitalj

Quote from: DennisS on July 24, 2014, 03:22:39 PM
Currently, with the range rings, accuracy is reasonably easy. I would like to see fewer range rings, then the accuracy would be much less.

If you play on Captain difficulty there is only 1 ring at 1000m, so it makes the first few shots a lot harder. I'm also going to add an Admiral difficulty level that will have no rings and maybe even no aiming line (hardcore mode) :)

I'll play with the accuracy to try and tweak that a bit. I think it makes sense to reduce it at long range even more.

DennisS

Quote from: capitalj on July 24, 2014, 07:11:01 PM
Quote from: DennisS on July 24, 2014, 03:22:39 PM

If you play on Captain difficulty there is only 1 ring at 1000m, so it makes the first few shots a lot harder. I'm also going to add an Admiral difficulty level that will have no rings and maybe even no aiming line (hardcore mode) :)

I'll play with the accuracy to try and tweak that a bit. I think it makes sense to reduce it at long range even more.

No help at all? Yikes! I can see a ruler being used on my computer screen!

I did just end up buying this, and almost finished the campaign, in about three hours. Admittedly, it is on easy, but it is a nice game, good graphics, and pretty solid gameplay.

To those on the fence, just pay the man the ten dollars, and have a little fun. There just aren't enough naval games out there, and this one is pretty good.

fabius

I'm playing on middle difficulty, which has one ring at 2000m or yrds. Can be tricky sometimes.

Tanks for looking at tweaking the accuracy.

If I was going nit-pick I'd also ask for just a little more zoom. When plotting air strikes I want to aim for those AA guns first.  :)

RedArgo

Looks good, so I picked this up for $3 on Google Play for my tablet last night.  Hopefully, I'll get a chance to play this weekend.

capitalj

Quote from: DennisS on July 24, 2014, 11:26:16 PM
I did just end up buying this, and almost finished the campaign, in about three hours. Admittedly, it is on easy, but it is a nice game, good graphics, and pretty solid gameplay.

The Japanese campaign is also pretty interesting and can be more challenging because of their starting territories. Let me know if you think they are too easy on higher difficulty levels if you get a chance.

Quote from: fabius on July 25, 2014, 03:05:35 AM
If I was going nit-pick I'd also ask for just a little more zoom. When plotting air strikes I want to aim for those AA guns first.  :)

That's an easy thing to add in, I'll increase the max zoom in level a bit in the next update.