Rainbow 6 Siege. House breaching multi-player.

Started by jomni, June 10, 2014, 12:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Great Ajax

I have a dissenting opinion as the terrorist hunt co-op is fantastic.  Me and my cousin have been running through this mode for several days starting with the beta over the weekend and we have had an absolute blast.  The enemy AI is decent and includes patrollers and static defenders along with different kinds of defenses and booby traps.  It is not a run and gun ala Call of Duty and we use a very methodical and measured advance by clearing room by room.  Sometimes this works and sometimes we get overrun.  The different operators provide different styles and gadgets to use and we actually like that.  You can always choose to be a recruit and outfit your generic guy as you see fit.  Different co-op modes include classic terrorist hunt (kill x enemies), hostage rescue (locate the hostage and escort them off the premises), asset protection (defensive siege mode) and bomb hunt.  I can't comment on multiplayer as I absolutely hate playing shooters online and I have no plans to play this mode in the future.  We get a good taste of the siege mode in terrorist hunt and that is enough for us.

Interestingly, we both got Star Wars Battlefront when it released and we just get too frustrated trying to play it for any amount of time.  The random spawns in the middle of firefights, random deaths due to constant grenade spam and the higher ranked players having marked advantages over the newbies is just too much.  It looks and sounds great and the only mode we had fun with was Walker Assault.

Trey       

Skoop

^That's what I got out of the beta, it could be really fun if you coop with buddies and work together in a tactical nature. 

The games going for 32 bucks on instant gaming which is more reasonable, but I'm pretty tied up with fallout 4 at the moment. 

It would have been an instant buy it they brought back the old single player campaigns of rogue spear and raven shield.

jomni


JudgeDredd

Nah. Too I heard the single player is hollow and short and the game is too multiplayer-centric so not something I am interested in
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 09, 2015, 06:56:12 AM
Nah. Too I heard the single player is hollow and short and the game is too multiplayer-centric so not something I am interested in

Although the single player is certainly more of a training component, thought I read in a few places it actually was quite good, for what it is anyway.  I think the toughest part about the single player is it seems like you are a lone wolf taking on a ton of baddies, which makes it pretty hard for tactics and such.  Certainly multi-player is the main focus and the primary reason I won't pick it up until it really hits a low bargain price, even if it is not the most realistic thing in the world.

.....but I could be wrong:)

JudgeDredd

My "hollow" statement may be out there  :-X

As for the lone wolf bit, I didn't ever feel like that in any other Rainbow 6 games
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 09, 2015, 08:14:24 AM
My "hollow" statement may be out there  :-X

As for the lone wolf bit, I didn't ever feel like that in any other Rainbow 6 games

Agreed, and that is what likely makes the single player less attractive.....I believe there is 11 or so single player missions and some seemed very interesting....if the price ever gets in the $15-$20 range, probably can talk myself into being worth $1-$2 per mission to try it out:)

JudgeDredd

^ I could spring that price on the single player element...but not more - I just wouldn't use the multiplayer aspect
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Likely will be awhile before it gets to those prices.....no big deal for me, nothing that I am dying to play anytime soon, so I can wait it out:

JudgeDredd

No - thanks to you I've got a game not even played yet (Just Cause 3)  :2funny:

I started it up, but wanted to "get into the story" and I wasn't paying attention at the time. So this weekend I think.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 09, 2015, 08:30:59 AM
No - thanks to you I've got a game not even played yet (Just Cause 3)  :2funny:

I started it up, but wanted to "get into the story" and I wasn't paying attention at the time. So this weekend I think.

I hate to admit it.....totally in a gaming funk right now and have very little desire to play any games:( in the past I would have jumped on just cause and probably rainbow siege too, but just burnt out.  Although I really like fallout and metal solid, I just fire them up and end up quitting in minutes...nothing wrong with the games, just have the gaming blues at the moment.

But I will still make you aware of good deals so that I can live through you until back on the horse and playing again:)

JudgeDredd

lol - feel free to do so. I'll make my decisions "in the moment"  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

spelk

I'm a bit disappointed with the game to be honest. If you managed to play the Beta test, you've more or less seen all that there is.

The single player "situations" are really just one off tutorial missions with different classes. Some are interesting enough and can prove difficult when you're learning that class/character. But I would contest they comprise of a "single player game".

The multiplayer seems very limited at the minute. WIth only an assault/defend hostage mode that alternates between teams of 5 vs 5. From what I've played of that, especially with publics, is that half of them will kill you off to get on the ladder you're climbing up. Once dead in a round, you have to wait till its over.. so that becomes old very fast.

The best part of the game seems to be the Terrorist Hunt co-op, which when played with friend(s) can be very entertaining and challenging depending upon how many of you there are. However this is piss-all content really.

The classes and characters are made a big deal of, but they have really limited and similar options. Some are so general that almost all classes have the breach charge/stun grenade option. Some are so specific that unless you know the map you're going into you probably wouldn't use them, like the guy who can disable electronics/bots. Shield guys are limited to pistol and board, which doesn't give you much tactical options when you're playing with only two of you.

Ultimately, the breaking down walls, breaching, disarming charges, room by room take-downs are quite entertaining, and the suicide bomber(s) will surprise you at some point, if you're not cautious and methodical about your coverage and intel gathering. But the fun wears off after a while, because all the unlocks don't seem worth it. Each class you buy with your hard earned XP, gets more and more expensive. So choose the ones you really want to begin with, otherwise you'll be grinding XP later on. Theres only a real need for a few of the classes anyway, the others are often very circumstantial in their use.

The majority of weapon unlocks are unnecessary too. You need a good medium range weapon, and a good CQB one, and thats your lot. Budding snipers need not apply.

Perhaps the game will evolve further with DLC packs or what not, but they've already stacked the monetisation shop full of tat, not worth buying, and theres little content or real longevity to even get that obsessed with the game and its progression.

Anyway, just my humble opinion. It's fun, co-operatively, for a while. But you'll probably get sick of the limited tactical options in the classes way before you get all of them ublocked, and want to put a pink zebra skin on your weapon for real cash.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: spelk on December 09, 2015, 08:44:26 AM
...and want to put a pink zebra skin on your weapon for real cash.
lol

I've read enough of your blogs to put a considerable amount of weight on your opinions of games you've played.

I know your saying "imo", but i hold your opinion in high regard.  :coolsmiley:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

spelk

Thanks for the kind words JD.

It could be that I haven't explored all the Multiplayer modes, but I couldn't recommend the limited one I've played, and then have subsequently dropped from because of team-killing behaviour that seemed to be rife amongst the public knob-heads I was playing with.

I was stoked about the title, because of my beta play. Like a taste of what there is, but hopefully a lot more to come in the full product. But from what I've played there isn't that much more in the full product. A few more classes to unlock. A few more weapons to unlock. And a single player set of tutorials (10 or so?, I think). But the meat and two veg of this game, seems to have been dished out mostly, with only the "pay for tat" packs being a big addition to the mix.

It's tactical "left 4 dead" in the grounds of a small suburban house/warehouse, with free-to-play monetisation thrown in, on a full price title.

No doubt a few more hours might be purloined from it, on terrorist hunt, but it starts to get old real quick.  The terrorist hunts have slightly different objectives, like kill all terrorists, or protect the hostage, or rescue the hostage, or defuse the bombs (real troublesome with only 2 of you) but ultimately you're doing the same sort of thing 1) scan for charges, neutrilise, 2) scan for the suicide bombers, neutrilise, 3) scan for other terrorists, neutrilise them (using wall breaches, wall hammers, or c4 - pop, pop, pop move on to next room, level.

I'm a little bitter. As you can no doubt tell. :)