My name is Flick and i'm a Game'a'holic

Started by FlickJax, June 25, 2014, 03:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FlickJax

It all start when I was given a VIC 20 for my Christmas present when i was 13 and it has never stopped..... I can't help but buy games, especially in the damn sales. I have over 160 games on steam alone which i have played about half, on Gamersgate i have probably played less than a 5th of the games i own, Gog over half and even Matrixgames I have not played all I own.

I need help!!!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: FlickJax on June 25, 2014, 03:15:57 AM
It all start when I was given a VIC 20 for my Christmas present when i was 13 and it has never stopped..... I can't help but buy games, especially in the damn sales. I have over 160 games on steam alone which i have played about half, on Gamersgate i have probably played less than a 5th of the games i own, Gog over half and even Matrixgames I have not played all I own.

I need help!!!

The Vic 20 was my first starting point in computers as well:). Who knew where it would lead....

bbmike

Me too! I spent many hours on it. 3k of RAM! I remember typing in what I thought at the time were long programs to run very simple games.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Shelldrake

I started gaming with a Commodore 64 and tape drive (I hated that thing!). As I recall I had an unplayed library of games even then.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

FlickJax

game loading times on 64 were immense, and then you would get a syntax error at the end arrrggghh

Gusington

I also started on Commodore machnes. I miss the smell of my local game store back then.

JH is our very own game purchase addiction specialist. Talk to him for 5 minutes or view his Steam profile and you will feel better.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TacticalWargames

BBC B 32k for me when I was 12. It was my dads:) I then saved my paper round money a couple of years later and bought an Amstrad 464CPC with green screen monitor:) Haven't been without a computer of some sort since.


Greybriar

I started on an IBM clone, an 8088, in 1989. I played mostly Shareware titles until I splurged and bought SSI's Pool of Radiance. It was then that I was hooked and the dam burst--I began buying games from SSG, MicroProse, and many other companies that were in their heyday back then and a large number of others that have since come into being.

Now it seems I mostly buy PC games (I have 262 titles in my GOG account alone!) but I don't have the time or inclination to play all of them.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I lost my virginity with the Mattel Intellivision in the early 80's--- gaming virginity that is. Then the Commodore 128 and the Amiga. And I'm still gonna get around to finishing those games one day. I guess if we lived in North Korea, there would be no new games until EVERYONE finished old one first. After Hurricane Charlie in 2004, we had no power for 2 weeks. I just sat in front of my blank computer screen and pretended like I was playing Combat Mission Total War in the Forgotten Realms except in this game I would win... sometimes. I don't consider it an addiction. I consider it a denial of an addiction. :uglystupid2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

It's like you're in my head...are you?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MikeGER

#11
Quote from: Shelldrake on June 25, 2014, 05:46:22 AM
I started gaming with a Commodore 64 ...
+1 
...and a diskdrive 1541

that was the time were a 'pirate'  O:-) needed to show up physically at a friend's place who run some spooky nibble copy program 45 minutes a disk or so with lots of diskswaps  IIRC 
also the 1541 got very hot so that disks formated then were not readable, so that guy (today we would call him a C64-super-nerd) operated it without its housing...
     
also i remember to have paid 114 DM for 10 empty floppy disks from 'Scotch' or so  ...and found that a bargain  ::)       

is there a C64 emulator and some down the memory lane games  for Android ? 

fabius

Quote from: Shelldrake on June 25, 2014, 05:46:22 AM
I started gaming with a Commodore 64 and tape drive (I hated that thing!). As I recall I had an unplayed library of games even then.

Nato Commander for the 64 was awesome.

MikeGER

Kampfgruppe ! by SSI  ...my first real computer enhanced wargame. and i never left the hobby since  8)

Ian C

Atari ST.

F-117 Stealth Fighter, North & South, Tank Platoon.

Then it was an Amiga and Universal Military Simulator II...

And the rest, as they say, is misery.