Steel Beasts Pro 64 bit Beta Out

Started by Asid, June 26, 2014, 10:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RyanE

I would upgrade without question except the timed shut down.  The 3.017 patch created a little havoc for me.  Still not sure on the reasons why its timed to shut down.

Asid

#16
Hi Ryan.

This Beta is set to run until end of December 2014. After that you just start the sim with the original executable (3.011).

If you look at the release notes you will see some welcome bug fixes and the ability to download a mission while in multi-player at an increased speed. These are performance increases in my book :). However you will not see a big jump in FPS (if any) or any added eye candy.

Again you make your choice :)

Regards


If anyone wants to have a MP session of SB let me know :)
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

jomni

#17
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 26, 2014, 12:01:15 PM
Whats the purpose though? Seems to only be a server/MP issue. If all I play is SP, will this make a difference?

In a nutshell 64bit will make the software be able to use more memory. 

FSX, since it is 32bit, cannot load a lot of stuff at the same time and has a tendency to crash with today's complex add ons.
X-Plane is 64 bit and it can load a lot of objects on the map without affecting performance. 

So I guess it will just help scenario makers make scenarios larger than what we are used to seeing now.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Asid on June 26, 2014, 02:31:46 PM
Hi Ryan.

This Beta is set to run until end of December 2014. After that you just start the sim with the original executable (3.011).

If you look at the release notes you will see some welcome bug fixes and the ability to download a mission while in multi-player at an increased speed. These are performance increases in my book :). However you will not see a big jump in FPS (if any) or any added eye candy.

Again you make your choice :)

Regards


If anyone wants to have a MP session of SB let me know :)

That is a long beta for something that doesn't appear to add a lot of major features....maybe a lot of its guts replaced behind the scenes......

Asid

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 26, 2014, 06:01:41 PM

That is a long beta for something that doesn't appear to add a lot of major features....maybe a lot of its guts replaced behind the scenes......

The beta license still uses the same "container" method as the other Steel Beasts licenses. The length gives greater flexibility and time for the developers to add/fix issues. When the time expires then you revert back to your original "full" license.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

RyanE

Two bugs I am a little disappointed that don't seem to be prioritized are the ability for AI to see at night in all conditions and AI tank gunnery being fubared.  I would upgrade in a second if those were fixed.  It makes it difficult to have a any type of combat simulation.  Again, the fixes seem heavily skewed to MP play.  Not going to waste effort for SP....eSims's own recommendation.

Yskonyn

Aha! So they expect this beta to last that long eh? Perhaps it might be a good thing to install it then. I can take a bit of hassle if it means getting current until the end of the year.

As for MP; I would LOVE to get into SB multiplayer, but a) I cannot commit to fixed days (making the friday night brawls difficult) and b) most times I am on, there is noone else to be found on the official TS.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Asid

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 27, 2014, 03:25:53 AM

As for MP; I would LOVE to get into SB multiplayer, but a) I cannot commit to fixed days (making the friday night brawls difficult) and b) most times I am on, there is noone else to be found on the official TS.

My username in SB and on TeamSpeak is "Asid".

The official Steel Beasts TeamSpeak is:

Steelbeasts.com Teamspeak Server 2
Address: 216.22.24.158
Port: 9987

What is your username on TS?. Let me know when you will be on :)

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

smithcorp

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 27, 2014, 03:25:53 AM
Aha! So they expect this beta to last that long eh? Perhaps it might be a good thing to install it then. I can take a bit of hassle if it means getting current until the end of the year.

As for MP; I would LOVE to get into SB multiplayer, but a) I cannot commit to fixed days (making the friday night brawls difficult) and b) most times I am on, there is noone else to be found on the official TS.

Very little hassle Yassy. You get a separate exe shortcut on your desktop which you can delete when the beta is over, or they move to a later beta. You can continue to use the original 3.011 shortcut at any time.

JC______

Is it true that you can choose between 3.011 or 3.019 even with 3.019 "installed"?




Asid

Quote from: JC______ on June 27, 2014, 08:22:33 AM
Is it true that you can choose between 3.011 or 3.019 even with 3.019 "installed"?

Yes because the original 3.011 exe is not touched. You can play a game in 3.011 by running the 3.011 exe or the 3.019 beta by choosing that exe. The choice is yours :)

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

JC______


Asid

Quote from: JC______ on June 27, 2014, 08:28:34 AM
Thanks, Asid.

It's a pleasure JC :)

If anyone has some time i am on TS now and will be for a while :)  if only to chat.

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying