Gunship! by Microprose

Started by Great Ajax, July 11, 2014, 12:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bob48

I wonder if they'll re-do M1 tank Platoon.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

panzerde

Quote from: bob48 on July 11, 2014, 04:54:50 PM
I wonder if they'll re-do M1 tank Platoon.

I might not be able to resist that one...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

BanzaiCat

Quote from: panzerde on July 11, 2014, 05:16:48 PM
Quote from: bob48 on July 11, 2014, 04:54:50 PM
I wonder if they'll re-do M1 tank Platoon.

I might not be able to resist that one...

Me, either.

mikeck

Yep. gunship, F-15 strike eagle and F-19 stealth fighter were my commodore  64 staples!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Apocalypse 31

I picked it up.

Looks great for a game this old, but crashes at any normal resolution when I try to bring up the in game map or play the tutorial missions.

No in game map is kind of a deal breaker

Grim.Reaper

Played around with it for awhile in the demo....not as bad as I thought it would be....but will save buying it for another rainy day.  I really do like how you can assign yourself to either the pilot or gunner or pilot+gunner....I usually suck at controlling aircraft, so it was kind of nice just to see in gunners seat and command things and target/fire.  Also, although way too early to talk about AI, the auto pilots seemed to do a decent job....they would hug the earth and navigate between trees, then pop up to attack the enemy.

I would also like to see M1 since I did not get a chance to play the original....

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on July 11, 2014, 05:48:58 PM
I picked it up.

Looks great for a game this old, but crashes at any normal resolution when I try to bring up the in game map or play the tutorial missions.

No in game map is kind of a deal breaker

It has to do with the resolution your at......if you change it to a resolution like 1280x1024x32, it will work fine.....other resolutions, not so much.  I tried this in the demo and it worked.  If I changed to 1920x1080, it crashed.  Other resolutions might work too, you will have to fool around.

Grim.Reaper

Also a site with custom mission and mods......there is a built in battle/mission planner within the game to make your own as well....

http://www.simwarrior.com/gunship/index.html

jomni

#38
I had that game.  But it was a "broken" game.
This project was supposed to be able to play together with the planned M1 Tank Platoon 3 which never materialized (sort of like DCS world).
I believe this had a short shelf life (a lot of people don't know this game existed).  One of the last games of Micropose before they folded.
Development and patching for Gunship wasn't finished. That's why I call it "broken".

jomni

Quote from: bob48 on July 11, 2014, 04:54:50 PM
I wonder if they'll re-do M1 tank Platoon.

M1 Tank Platton 2.  Same graphics level as this Gunship! version.

Gusington

Honestly I think Steam counts on us to rely on emotional nostalgia when they offer these games, even for 7.00. Logic would say that we wouldn't touch them this many years later.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I think it's a simple business decision, If this game weren't available through a legit online service and I really wanted it, I might going looking for it through other sources. If I can add it to my Steam library for a reasonable price and be assured that it will play on my current system, I'm less likely to bother looking elsewhere.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Why would you want it so bad at all? Dated, incomplete, etc.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Quote from: mikeck on July 11, 2014, 05:37:24 PM
Yep. gunship, F-15 strike eagle and F-19 stealth fighter were my commodore  64 staples!

...and don't forget Taskforce 1942.  Wish they'd redo the whole Microprose catalog.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

There was another 1942 game I loved on Amiga...Battlehawks 1942, IIRC? That game had me fall in love with the Japanese Val dive bomber and the zero.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd