One reason amongst many why i'm here and not there

Started by undercovergeek, July 13, 2014, 05:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

PC has gotten so out of hand that people are looking for something to complain about by default.  I can understand even poor attempts at un-PC humor, but the Thought Police are constantly trying to crush any sense of it. 

I'm a Libertarian first and foremost, so having other people attempting to impose their narrow beliefs and exaggerated dramas on everyone else in their society is a big red flag.  It's censorship & mental servitude in it's worst form; a modern version of the Inquisition.


MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 10:01:30 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2014, 09:55:51 AM
I think in part because the 'bikini' factor is in their faces much more in their daily lives than a genocide that happened 2 generations ago.

I'm not saying that's the proper perspective.  I'm just hypothesizing why it might be.

...and that is a big part of what is wrong with the world and why history will continue to repeat itself.  It may also be part of the reason why the world is supporting Hamas over the State of Israel in the latest round of battle over there. People in the West are so concerned about feeling good about themselves, that they have forgotten, or simply do not care about why the State of Israel exists in the first place.

  Oddly enough, this sounds just as twisted to me as any PC analysis, but let's look at the pieces:

1) Yes, the world has a lot of things wrong with it, but the repetitious nature of history is neither here nor there
2) Yes, most of the Palestinians don't even support Hamas so why should anyone support Hamas?
3) Feeling good, again not exactly anywhere near the problem of Hamas or Israel
4) Israel exists because the Yishuv (ie the Jews in Palestine) was able to survive despite Palestinian attacks from 1929 on...well before the Holocaust.  I'm not sure how the Holocaust fits in, but Zionists were moving to Israel from the 1890s on and of course there had been Jews in Palestine since the dawn of time.

Jack Nastyface

Two points:
1) perhaps we should move this to R&P?
2) IMHO, I run hot and cold with the whole "politically correct" thing.  There are times when I "checking my assumptions and attitudes" has been helpful, but there are other times when I have stood my ground in regards to personal beliefs or ideas...EVEN if they are cultural-centric.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MengJiao on July 14, 2014, 01:11:50 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 10:01:30 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2014, 09:55:51 AM
I think in part because the 'bikini' factor is in their faces much more in their daily lives than a genocide that happened 2 generations ago.

I'm not saying that's the proper perspective.  I'm just hypothesizing why it might be.

...and that is a big part of what is wrong with the world and why history will continue to repeat itself.  It may also be part of the reason why the world is supporting Hamas over the State of Israel in the latest round of battle over there. People in the West are so concerned about feeling good about themselves, that they have forgotten, or simply do not care about why the State of Israel exists in the first place.

  Oddly enough, this sounds just as twisted to me as any PC analysis, but let's look at the pieces:

1) Yes, the world has a lot of things wrong with it, but the repetitious nature of history is neither here nor there
2) Yes, most of the Palestinians don't even support Hamas so why should anyone support Hamas?
3) Feeling good, again not exactly anywhere near the problem of Hamas or Israel
4) Israel exists because the Yishuv (ie the Jews in Palestine) was able to survive despite Palestinian attacks from 1929 on...well before the Holocaust.  I'm not sure how the Holocaust fits in, but Zionists were moving to Israel from the 1890s on and of course there had been Jews in Palestine since the dawn of time.

So basically what you're saying is that you're a terrorist sympathizer and neo-nazi?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 01:53:21 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 14, 2014, 01:11:50 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 10:01:30 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2014, 09:55:51 AM
I think in part because the 'bikini' factor is in their faces much more in their daily lives than a genocide that happened 2 generations ago.

I'm not saying that's the proper perspective.  I'm just hypothesizing why it might be.

...and that is a big part of what is wrong with the world and why history will continue to repeat itself.  It may also be part of the reason why the world is supporting Hamas over the State of Israel in the latest round of battle over there. People in the West are so concerned about feeling good about themselves, that they have forgotten, or simply do not care about why the State of Israel exists in the first place.

  Oddly enough, this sounds just as twisted to me as any PC analysis, but let's look at the pieces:

1) Yes, the world has a lot of things wrong with it, but the repetitious nature of history is neither here nor there
2) Yes, most of the Palestinians don't even support Hamas so why should anyone support Hamas?
3) Feeling good, again not exactly anywhere near the problem of Hamas or Israel
4) Israel exists because the Yishuv (ie the Jews in Palestine) was able to survive despite Palestinian attacks from 1929 on...well before the Holocaust.  I'm not sure how the Holocaust fits in, but Zionists were moving to Israel from the 1890s on and of course there had been Jews in Palestine since the dawn of time.

So basically what you're saying is that you're a terrorist sympathizer and neo-nazi?

  No, I'm saying the Zionists and the Yishuv deserve credit for creating Israel, not the good feelings of the rest of the world.

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 01:53:21 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 14, 2014, 01:11:50 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 10:01:30 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2014, 09:55:51 AM
I think in part because the 'bikini' factor is in their faces much more in their daily lives than a genocide that happened 2 generations ago.

I'm not saying that's the proper perspective.  I'm just hypothesizing why it might be.

...and that is a big part of what is wrong with the world and why history will continue to repeat itself.  It may also be part of the reason why the world is supporting Hamas over the State of Israel in the latest round of battle over there. People in the West are so concerned about feeling good about themselves, that they have forgotten, or simply do not care about why the State of Israel exists in the first place.

  Oddly enough, this sounds just as twisted to me as any PC analysis, but let's look at the pieces:

1) Yes, the world has a lot of things wrong with it, but the repetitious nature of history is neither here nor there
2) Yes, most of the Palestinians don't even support Hamas so why should anyone support Hamas?
3) Feeling good, again not exactly anywhere near the problem of Hamas or Israel
4) Israel exists because the Yishuv (ie the Jews in Palestine) was able to survive despite Palestinian attacks from 1929 on...well before the Holocaust.  I'm not sure how the Holocaust fits in, but Zionists were moving to Israel from the 1890s on and of course there had been Jews in Palestine since the dawn of time.

So basically what you're saying is that you're a terrorist sympathizer and neo-nazi?


Some history (note: may not be very repetitive):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yishuv

Jarhead0331

^Are you really having this discussion? Do you really think I need educating on the Sate of Israel and its history?  You have completely missed my point, and for that matter, my humor.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2014, 02:08:37 PM
^Are you really having this discussion? Do you really think I need educating on the Sate of Israel and its history?  You have completely missed my point, and for that matter, my humor.

  Sorry if I misunderstood you, but I often find that people (not necessarily you) have no idea of what is up with Israel or Zionism or the Palestinians.  Hence my very non-PC attempts to point out how messy but informative any little bit of history can be.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Gusington on July 14, 2014, 07:29:01 AM
FWIW there are a couple of.women on the RPS staff.

Interesting.  When did that happen?  When I was reading RPS, it was just Rossignol, Meer,  Adam Smith, and two other fellas.  Looks like somebody pointed out their hypocrisy to them and they decided to put on a fig leaf.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Gusington

There's Philippa Warr and Alice O'Connor...both have been there for a few months, I think. But their styles of writing are similar to the otber guys that they all blend into one.voice for RPS, which I generally like.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

theres a few others now too - one mistakenly posted a picture of herself a couple of months back and my god if the walls didnt come crumbling down underneath hundreds of vitriolic comments because one guy said she looked pretty - that was the first time i saw it get out of hand, it led to a post from the staff with comments blocked, this also caused forum armageddon and its just gone on from there - whenever a game comes out with selectable characters the 'why cant i play as a woman' crowd come out to play and then the 'white knight' abusers come out and on a tiny island in the middle of it are just a few gamers shaking their heads muttering 'who gives a fk, i just want to play my game'

Huw the Poo

Alice is a much more recent addition actually, but I really like her - I like her sense of humour.

Geek: I'm firmly in that latter category.  I don't mind when RPS discusses things in the wider realm of the industry - it's one of the reasons I read RPS to begin with - but the Walker-led feminist stuff is really off-putting.  The readership is as much to blame, though.  I remember Alec berated me once for calling Tim Langdell a bellend...he said words to the effect of our readers are a bit classier than that.  I laughed at him and said give it a few posts...sure enough, a perfectly reasonable piece was trampled on by the commenters a couple of days later.

Gusington

I remember that whole scene with the pretty writer. It was ridiculous.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bletchley_Geek

Just one recent example that might illustrate what's the point of the "feminist" stuff on RPS.

In order to get over the rude shock of waking up on Mondays at 6.30 AM I like to put together a little clownish act to have my partner laugh and cheer up before getting the show on the road. This week the theme I chose was inspired by one of the lines - "Woe is me!" - of an NPC central to an early side quest in Divinity: Original Sin. She found that hilarious and asked me where I had got that from. I promised her to show what was that about in the evening.

So after work, I fired up Divinity to show her what was that "Woe is me" thing about, started a new game and as soon as the character creation screen showed up, and we got to see the default avatars she quickly and acidly observed that the female character was right out of the wettest nerd dream: a buxom red-head, well fitting into the "Tits & Ass" paradigm. To be honest, I hadn't even noticed the size of the tits of Scarlett, but man, she was quite right. I don't know if anyone here had one of those "No Fat Chicks in My Car" bumper stickers at some point on their car, but let's be honest, "No Fat Chicks in My Game" is the Law in video games today. There was some joking on RPS about "how long until the naked avatar mods", but I'd bet good money that nobody would ever think of a "Fat Chicks Mod" for Divinity or any other RPG.

Indeed, video games are about escapism. But the themes explored by that "escapism"  - or even more interestingly, what they don't explore at all - do tell a lot about the real life, prejudices, dreams and ideology of the people who craft those games. And they can be made of gold, but sometimes, some parts of them, can be crusted with dog sh*t.

Being the father-in-waiting of soon to be due baby girl, I can't other than take these things more seriously: I will be responsible of educating a young girl into become a woman, and of course I want the best for her. And the "best" hasn't anything to do with burkas, her becoming a devoted 1950's housewife, and heavens forbid, the plaything of some dumb stoned surfers or middle-class white kids playing GTA gansta wannabees. I will make sure she can call bullsh*t when she sees some.


MetalDog

A couple of ladies with a sense of humor.  The pic in the link is in response to a Ubisoft muckety muck claiming that women characters could not be included in Assassin's Creed because they would be too difficult to render.


http://www.gamespot.com/articles/cosplayers-poke-fun-at-the-idea-that-women-are-too/1100-6421099/
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob