WH40K game ripe for conversion? Any Ideas?

Started by TacticalWargames, July 17, 2014, 10:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TacticalWargames

I'm going through an obsession with WH40K after getting into the Omnibus novels. So I've been wracking my brain for a wargame  that could be converted to a WH40K version. The one that is is fore front in my mind is Squad Battles, though I have to find out if it's possible to mod it that extensively and then I wondered if 50m hex was abit small for a  Space Marine squad. Maybe a 100m would be better.

The beauty  of finding a top down wargame would be the ease of counter making. Counters could say have the marines emblem or a Space Marines head like the soldiers heads at the moment.

Bletchley_Geek

What about CMx2?

Nah, I'm kidding.


I'd look at something like Advanced Tactics, to be very honest. It is kind of difficult to wrap your head around the editor, but I think it's the one that will allow you change things most easily.

Jarhead0331

#2
I'm with Bletchley...something like this has  Advanced Tactics Gold written all over it.

Good luck though...something's tells me anything released on the internet using GW IP will result in a cease and desist, once they find out about it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bayonetbrant

You might want a slightly more descriptive subject line that indicates you're talking WH40K.  Otherwise, you're going to get people who might have a suggestion skipping right over this thread b/c they don't know what you're looking for from its title.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Tinkershuffle

Considering the melee combat in 40k universe, I don't think 50m hexes are too small at all. How would you deal with the use of magic?

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2014, 04:51:04 AM

Good luck though...something's tells me anything released on the internet using GW IP will result in a cease and desist, once they find out about it.

Yeah, if it gets a lot of attention anyway.

Remember when that free remake of the old Space Hulk came out with heavy references to 40K?  They sent the lawyers out.

Gusington

The lawyers are deployed to cleanse the unclean. Burn the heretics!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

A whiff of Xenos and the GWinquisitors are there!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

reapagan

Try Chaos Gate, it uses the same basic engine as the old Soldiers At War, both from Strategic Simulations. Runs on Win 7.  Also Final Liberation was pretty good, both games, especially Chaos Gate are the closest thing to the miniatures game it gets.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: reapagan on July 18, 2014, 08:00:45 PM
Try Chaos Gate, it uses the same basic engine as the old Soldiers At War, both from Strategic Simulations. Runs on Win 7.  Also Final Liberation was pretty good, both games, especially Chaos Gate are the closest thing to the miniatures game it gets.

Since when does Chaos Gate run on windows 7?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

#10
Quote from: reapagan on July 18, 2014, 08:00:45 PM
Try Chaos Gate, it uses the same basic engine as the old Soldiers At War, both from Strategic Simulations. Runs on Win 7.  Also Final Liberation was pretty good, both games, especially Chaos Gate are the closest thing to the miniatures game it gets.

I loved Chaos Gate, despite the bugs. 

Even though it will start up on Win7 (didn't on XP), I wouldn't say it will necessarily "Run".  I tried a couple years ago on Win7, after hearing that it will start on it, and there were some nasty Audio issues and graphics artifacting that stil made it pretty much unplayable for me.  :(


The audio would make crackling and screeching noises for many of the sounds and the game menu graphics, such as squad selection and arming screens, would flip out back & forth and screw up the display so much I couldn't make it out anymore.

Grim.Reaper

I know nothing about this game, but did see this posted in a place that discussed how to get it running in Windows 7...no idea if it really works.

"After installing the game, download and install the 1.2 patch. Run the game with compatibility mode on and set to windows service pack 2."

Jarhead0331

Yeah. I saw that too. It's three years old and it doesn't work.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


TacticalWargames

I have Chaos gate working on Win 7 64bit..but it wont work if you install the 1.2 patch.

Nefaro

#14
Quote from: TacticalWargames on July 19, 2014, 01:48:55 PM
I have Chaos gate working on Win 7 64bit..but it wont work if you install the 1.2 patch.

IIRC, the patch for Chaos Gate fixed some annoying bugs too.   ???

As for when I tried it on Win7, I think I tried both versions with negative results.  The biggest problem was the gfx artifacting left over on the screen when I moved or changed the view, blocking what I should be able to see.  May have just been the gfx card/drivers I was using at the time so others may have more luck.