European Hornets anyone?

Started by steve58, July 23, 2014, 01:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

Anyone had any experience with these buggers?



Seems they found a hole in the mortar on the front of my house and have made a nest behind the brickwork. :tickedoff: I've seen conflicting info about what to do about the nest after treatment.  I'm hoping I can just leave it in place without any negative consequences.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Centurion40

Dr. Dawg will tell ya what to do.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Martok

Normally, I would lend you my anti-spider flamethrower for the job, but there's already been one house burned down for that this week.  ::) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Mr. Bigglesworth

Wood wall with brick veneer? If the nest stays there you will have to expect it will mold over time. Grubs will rot. In high humidity the paper material they make will absorb moisture also adding to rot of the wood.

If it were me I would cut out the gyprock from the inside in a 2x2 square, clean out the whole mess, bleach, rinse, dry the wood. seal it all up again from both sides.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

steve58

Mr. Bigglesworth, I knew someone was going to say that. :(  Well, I was hoping. :'(  On the bright side, I can access the backside of the nest from the interior of the house (well I'm pretty sure) and we've even been planning on painting in that area.  I've got an exterminator coming by tomorrow for a look-see and I'll probably have him treat the nest.  I'm just going to make sure the little (actually these things are huge!) buggers are 100% dead before I open up that wall!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Import some Japanese hornets.  They'll make quick work of those puny European hornets.  They're pure evil....in hornet form.

GDS_Starfury

Not the Swiss f-18 I was expecting.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 23, 2014, 06:33:45 PM
Not the Swiss f-18 I was expecting.

Same here. Multinational SuperHornets would have been nice...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

Steve, if there is a way to get the nest out after they are killed, I would certainly do so for all the reasons Mr. B enumerated.  I'd be interested to know what your pest control guy does to get rid of them.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

steve58

MD -- thx, I'm thinking I'm not going to have much choice other than to try to remove the nest.  I can access the drywall behind the nest, so I think I'll be putting my somewhat limited drywall experience to a test.

The pest control guy should be here sometime today for a look-see and I think I'm going to have him go ahead and treat the nest.  He mentioned using a dust pesticide (Pyrethrin I think).  He said it should expand throughout the nest.  I'm a bit concerned about having it treated mid-day with a lot of the little suckers away from the nest.  Hopefully the dust will get them when they go home.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Windigo

I used a shop vac this spring to clear out several small yellow jacket nests in my shed.... worked like a damn!
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.