RYSE Son of Rome Coming to PC this Fall

Started by trek, August 09, 2014, 12:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tpek

I've got it and downloaded it via Steam but really haven't found yet the time to play it.

Nefaro

Hrmm.. isn't labelled as RPG.  I'm passing if it's just another console Action game.  :-[

Gusington

Crap that's today?? This may be an expensive weekend. Thanks for the reminder.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

So far...its friggin' awesome! What a pleasant Friday surprise!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

I was gonna say, you Steam guys must be on crack to have not noticed it on there. I saw it a while ago popping up on the Steam merry-go-round and it looked interesting.

Jarhead0331

Its not the most complex game on the planet, but the graphics are excellent, the story is interesting, with a main character I can really identify with, and I just cannot see the executions getting old...they are simply spectacular.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

How far in are you?

On Metacritic its overall score is around 70%.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on October 10, 2014, 10:15:10 AM
How far in are you?

On Metacritic its overall score is around 70%.

I played for just under an hour this morning. So I still have a long way to go. I think I would rate the game a little higher based upon the setting and time period. Sort of like an Alien fan will rate Isolation higher then just a standard player with no particular interest in the fiction.  Like I said, Ryse seems like a fairly simple hack and slasher, but so far its been really fun and I'm trying to plow through some work today so I can go back and play.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


sandman2575

To be stoopid for a moment  :uglystupid2:

Why is it called "RYSE: Son of Rome"?  The character you play is named Marius Titus.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 10, 2014, 10:31:51 AM
To be stoopid for a moment  :uglystupid2:

Why is it called "RYSE: Son of Rome"?  The character you play is named Marius Titus.

I'm not sure why they spell "RYSE" the way they do...however, my best guess is that it has something to do with a legend that is told early on in the campaign about a betrayed Roman General who "rises" from the dead to exact vengeance on those who abandoned him.  In the game, Marius is told of the tale by his father Leontius, a retired legionary, now serving Rome as a Senator and who seems to be seeking to censure Nero, the emperor.  The player's father tells of the legend of "Damocles," who was abandoned to his enemies due to political expediency. With the help of Nemesis, the goddess of revenge, Damocles returned from the underworld to bring vengeance to those who wronged him. The moral of the story is to never be careless with the lives of Roman soldiers.

Anyway, I could be totally wrong, but this feels like it is going to be  major plot element and its the only thing jumping out at me with respect to the title.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JasonPratt

#26
Like God of War but... more realistic/historical, for values of 'historical' that include Boudica besieging Rome on war elephants.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8525-Ryse-Son-of-Rome

Be sure to apply the Yahtzee cynicism filter to neutralize his tone. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

sandman2575

Intriguing.  Not often that you come across AAA games that have a little mystery in the title.

Jarhead0331

Major problem...

My God damn progress isn't being saved. Not sure if the problem is with me, or if this is a bug for the PC version. DAMN IT!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Jarhead0331

It was a cloud bug. They released a quick hotfix. Good sign of strong support.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18