Metal Gear Solid PC and Steam

Started by jomni, August 13, 2014, 07:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

#135
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 23, 2015, 04:07:08 PM
Don't forget you can move whilst you have grabbed an enemy...so you might grab a guy who is in a light and doesn't move...but when you grab him, you can pull him out the light and then question/kill/stun him

And you can draw your side arm and shoot people while grappling.

You can also sneak on a guy and point your gun.  Then he will drop his gun and raise his arms.

Cyrano

#136
So, do you all recommend mouse-and-keyboard or controller for optimal play?

(Yeah, hey, who am I to resist Kojima's magnum opus?)

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

sandman2575


JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

sandman2575


undercovergeek


JasonPratt

Lord Above, I cannot wait to get out of this nasty user interface mess with MGS1, to games where it's possible to use a controller in a shooter with any kind of consistency.

My hatred for MGS1 is pure and undefiled. But I shall persevere, so that I can say I've played it and can experience the whole story.

(That's the sequel to the game y'all are currently playing, btw.  >:D Well, not the direct sequel, more like the sequel to the sequel to the sequel of the game you're playing. Like hell am I playing the sequel to MGSV, or the sequel's sequel. I am not insane.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 25, 2015, 02:46:45 PM
Lord Above, I cannot wait to get out of this nasty user interface mess with MGS1, to games where it's possible to use a controller in a shooter with any kind of consistency.

My hatred for MGS1 is pure and undefiled. But I shall persevere, so that I can say I've played it and can experience the whole story.

(That's the sequel to the game y'all are currently playing, btw.  >:D Well, not the direct sequel, more like the sequel to the sequel to the sequel of the game you're playing. Like hell am I playing the sequel to MGSV, or the sequel's sequel. I am not insane.)

After playing MGSIV, MGSV and everything in between, I could never go back to the earlier titles. I always struggled with the controls on those games and as a result, I never stuck with them for more than a few minutes. MGSIV redefined the control mechanics and revolutionized the series in my opinion. Not sure why you're forcing yourself to suffer...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Skoop

You guys realize you can mod weapons and almost create new ones ?  I just got the legendary weapons specialist and now I can customize weapons.  It now makes sense to start developing multiple weapons in the same class cause you can mix and match parts to make an improved weapon.  It's really cool and yet another layer to this surprisingly great game.

endfire79

"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Skoop on September 25, 2015, 06:38:42 PM
You guys realize you can mod weapons and almost create new ones ?  I just got the legendary weapons specialist and now I can customize weapons.  It now makes sense to start developing multiple weapons in the same class cause you can mix and match parts to make an improved weapon.  It's really cool and yet another layer to this surprisingly great game.

I only wish I had more than 3 slots per weapon. I have a .308 semi auto sniper rifle that has at least 300 kills.

JasonPratt

Out of curiosity, is Quiet a Kurd? Does she call or think of Snake as Saladin?

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2015, 04:27:49 PMNot sure why you're forcing yourself to suffer...

For the story, and for the experience of having the battle scars of a longtime MGS player.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

endfire79

I haven't been on the Metal Gear boat since the NES releases.  It's nice to see a franchise just get better and better throughout the ages.
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 25, 2015, 07:27:48 PM
Out of curiosity, is Quiet a Kurd? Does she call or think of Snake as Saladin?

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 25, 2015, 04:27:49 PMNot sure why you're forcing yourself to suffer...

For the story, and for the experience of having the battle scars of a longtime MGS player.
I thought this was the "prequel"? I thought this edition starts before the other MGS stories?

I don't know...but yes Skoop - I had seen that on a video and good find endifre79
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JasonPratt

#149
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 26, 2015, 02:12:45 AM
I thought this was the "prequel"? I thought this edition starts before the other MGS stories?

It's about halfway through the (current) canonical story; I figured I would play them in production order so as to get the effect of story revelations as the author (Hideo Kojima) intended, although I know the broad story outline already and some of the specifics.


Current story order, not counting non-canon games.


Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (also called Subsistence) -- 5th game made. Introduces the guy you're playing as in MGSV, called Naked Snake at the time. He'll be the main character up through V. Set early in the Vietnam War, 1964.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops -- 6th game made, set in 1970. Only available on the Playstation Portable. Plot is basically the same as V but set in South America. Not actually made by Kojima, and almost entirely ignored, but still technically considered canon (by Kojima himself) although it could be dropped at any time. Snake is making his mercenary group and fighting for territory.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker -- 8th game made, set in Costa Rica 1974. Originally made for PSP, released with an HD upgrade later for PS3 and XB306. Written by Kojima to be MGS 5, and still kind-of regarded as 5 -- this game is why the current game uses V instead of 5 in its title! (Also because Snake is first called Victory Snake here if I recall correctly.) Loosely remakes, updates, and mostly replaces Portable Ops.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain -- 10th game made. GZ is set in 1975, and TPP is set in 1984. Loosely remakes and updates PW, although PW is still explicitly canon.

Metal Gear -- 1st game made, set in Outer Heaven Africa in 1995. TPP is meant to be the final prequel to this game, which is why Kojima has been saying TPP will be his final MG game since all the story blocks are now filled in. Can be found on the HD Metal Gear trilogy pack (as part of MGS3) for PS3. The next generation takes over the storyline from this point.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake -- 2nd game made, set in Zanzibar Africa 1999. (Actually there had been another 2nd game made first, but this one replaces it in canon.) Also playable from MGS3 in the HD collection.

Metal Gear Solid: Integral (also known as The Twin Snakes for its much superior Gamecube re-release) -- 3rd game made, but the series softly reboots its numbering here due to the shift to 3D action (sort of) from the two (actually 3) previous 2D games. Features enough of a plot recap of prior two (canonical) games to give the player an idea what's going on and why it's important. Set in Alaska, 2005 (or 2006 depending on which version is being played).

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (also known as Substance) -- 4th game made, mostly about introducing the hero Raiden but also where Kojima started heavily working on the backplot before Metal Gear. (Heavily-working-on-the-backplot is also why he next went with a deep prequel for MGS3.) Set on a tanker in 2007, and in Manhattan 2009.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots -- 7th game made, and generally regarded as the end of the main storyline. Set in 2014.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance -- 9th game made, an epilogue of sorts and/or the start of a new storyline, focusing on Raiden again. Set in 2018 (although it was originally intended to be set between MGS2 and 4.)


This does not count various non-canon games, the most notable being the two Metal Gear Solid: Ac!d games for the PSP, which use a very interesting turn-based card-playing mechanic to simulate the standard series gameplay on the usual 3D maps.


Annnnnnnd.... now you are insane. Sorry.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!