Main Menu

Invisible, Inc.

Started by RooksBailey, August 19, 2014, 04:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

To what extent is this more of a puzzle game than strategy?

RooksBailey

Quote from: -budd- on August 20, 2014, 10:17:14 AM
Better not talk it up too much or Rooks will fold 8).

LOL!  I do feel my willpower slipping after reading Nefaro's opinion on the game.  It does sound like a worthwhile investment already.   :)

QuoteI also read some complaining of the difficulty on the steam forums, it sounded like they were of the completionist bent. nothing wrong will a little challenge as long as its fair.

The Let's Play I posted above also remarked on the difficulty of the game.  Based on what I saw, I can see where surviving a 10-floor op would be very difficult, something that could make for a frustrating experience if you can never make it to the final floor (this was the concern of the LP narrator above).  Question: does every mission require a 10-floor sweep?  Or are there ops with smaller buildings?

Also, according to the LP I posted, you can drop inventory items and have another character pick them up, Nefaro.  Just FYI. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

-budd-

nothing will make me drop a game quicker then unneeded, unfair difficulty......my gaming life is too short. Unless it hits a decent discount i'll wait.....stay strong Rooks.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on August 20, 2014, 03:34:33 PM
To what extent is this more of a puzzle game than strategy?

It's full-on strategy IMO.  If the mission maps and opposing stuff were all canned, then yeah it would be more puzzle-like.  But they're procedurally generated. 

Also.. there generally isn't any one set path you must travel on the missions.  You are pressed for time, though, so don't expect to explore every nook on most missions.

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on August 20, 2014, 03:57:52 PM
Quote from: -budd- on August 20, 2014, 10:17:14 AM
Better not talk it up too much or Rooks will fold 8).

LOL!  I do feel my willpower slipping after reading Nefaro's opinion on the game.  It does sound like a worthwhile investment already.   :)

QuoteI also read some complaining of the difficulty on the steam forums, it sounded like they were of the completionist bent. nothing wrong will a little challenge as long as its fair.

The Let's Play I posted above also remarked on the difficulty of the game.  Based on what I saw, I can see where surviving a 10-floor op would be very difficult, something that could make for a frustrating experience if you can never make it to the final floor (this was the concern of the LP narrator above).  Question: does every mission require a 10-floor sweep?  Or are there ops with smaller buildings?

All the missions I've done are just a single floor.  Was the LP a much advanced 'Sandbox' campaign?  The one I posted looked like the guy had proceeded far enough to have gained and unlocked a fair bit of goodies.

I just grab whatever loot I can find up until the Alert Level reaches the point where more guards start spawning in.. then I head for the exit.  Hopefully I've found the exit by that point.  I imagine the offices get larger (more floors?) the more amount of missions we get under our belt.

QuoteAlso, according to the LP I posted, you can drop inventory items and have another character pick them up, Nefaro.  Just FYI.

Thanks.  I hadn't tested that theory out yet.

RooksBailey

#20
Quote from: -budd- on August 20, 2014, 05:10:10 PM
nothing will make me drop a game quicker then unneeded, unfair difficulty......my gaming life is too short.

Yeah, that goes for me, too.  But I suspect the significant difficulty seen in this early access build is probably somewhat due to the need for balancing.  The devs have mentioned that they plan to add more gear for your agents to make things easier, so I think it is a safe bet that the difficulty curve will begin to flatten out by release.  Oh, they also mentioned that they are going to include some form of "easy mode" around the time the game releases, too. 

QuoteUnless it hits a decent discount i'll wait.....stay strong Rooks.

I have to say that I do feel my willpower weakening.  The LP Nefaro posted shows a later build than the LP I posted, and the amount of polish added since is really quite nice.  I didn't expect such a big difference between the alpha build and the early access build.  For example, I see that they added some nice deco to the floors which gives them more of a lived-in feeling.  The UI had also been given a lot of attention.  I have to say: this early access game is really impressing me.  It seems to be the exception to the early access shovelware rule. 

Quote from: NefaroAll the missions I've done are just a single floor.  Was the LP a much advanced 'Sandbox' campaign?

I don't know.  I do know that he was using an alpha build that was earlier than the Early Access build your LP was using.  In that earlier LP build, the building had 10 floors, and by the fourth floor the difficulty was getting to be really impossible.  I couldn't imagine anybody making it to the 10th floor without a lot of luck!

BTW: nice sig, Nefaro!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on August 21, 2014, 12:38:49 AM

BTW: nice sig, Nefaro!

PanzersEast made some for the Steelbeasts players here.  They look great, don't they?  8)


As for Invisible, Inc., I've been very satisfied with my game purchase even in it's current Early Access state.  It's quite polished right now, and easily worth the lowly $15.99 it's currently going for.  That they're spending the extra months adding more content and tweaking is just icing.   :)

-budd-

Enjoy the game ....Rooks ;D
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Nefaro

They've added a couple different difficult options, along with some new content.

Still a blast to play if you like Stealth games but something in a turn-based tactical flavor.   O0


Supposed to be finished Early in the coming year, but it's very playable right now.

RooksBailey

The game is out in four days!  Definitely on my list:

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

-budd-

yea i'll probably fold on this one sooner or later......I will probably wait for the early guinea pigs first impressions ;D
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

RooksBailey

Yeah, me too.   ;)

I just wish this game had more of a cyberpunk look and less of a '60s James Bond comic book look.  It really reminds me more of a turn-based Team Fortress than a cyberpunk game.  ;D
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

tgb

Those of us who bought it in Early Access got updated to the release version the other day.  It's a lot of fun and highly polished. Thanks to the comic book art style and turn based play, it reminds me of Shadow Watch.

Nefaro

Quote from: -budd- on May 08, 2015, 10:48:47 PM
yea i'll probably fold on this one sooner or later......I will probably wait for the early guinea pigs first impressions ;D

It's awesome.  Really enjoyable turn-based stealth missions with some procedural generation & campaign options.   O0

And that's just the last time I played it in Early Access months ago.  There has been many additions since then, so I wanted to wait until the release settled down to go full bore.  My only concern is any bugs introduced in the release update, but the early access was pretty solid from my experience so it shouldn't be an issue for long, if at all.

Nef gives it  O0 O0


undercovergeek

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/12/invisible-inc-review/#comments

RPS say the best TBS game to come out in years

a successful Wot i Think with none of the usual in joke shite and bizarre, abstract crap they can come out with - just a straight up good review