Main Menu

Invisible, Inc.

Started by RooksBailey, August 19, 2014, 04:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on May 28, 2015, 09:00:55 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 28, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
Sounds enticing.  Last night I gave up on an agency, but the game released two new agents and let me try the base again.  I had been doing well, but drones were slowly closing in and I could not see a way out.  But now I'm re-trying with a new procedurally-generated place to infiltrate.

I haven't been playing it much but the last time I did play I found myself in a tough spot (again, using my own modded rules in the editor).  We had to heist an executive's brain to get  a security code for a later vault heist (I wish the game had more connected missions like this!).  Well, after we got the code, it tripped an alarm, spawning a bunch of security.  Due to the layout of the building, my two man team was basically trapped behind enemy lines.  Fortunately, we had Shalem (sp?), his sniper rifle, and two packs of ammo.   >:D  We tore through the security, leaving bodies as we went, and pinning the security meter at a maxed-out Level 6!  :2funny:  That was epic. 

Afterwards, I realized that that is what Invisible Inc needs more of: combat.  Not saying I want it to become a tactical wargame like Frozen Synapse or Shadowrun, but just that outright combat missions should be part of the available mission selections for those who want to go loud for a change of pace.


Dunno which characters you're using but don't forget their abilities.  The first guy's 1-turn invisibility cloak can be a huge advantage when you're in a bad spot.  Pop the invis, run him past the guards to a nearby door and slam it shut to distract them.  Or tazer/shoot one to open a path for anyone else.  There are often numerous strategies to approach any turn's situation, barring the worst.

I tend to get more conflict with the release version than the older Early Access versions I had previously played.  I enjoy this thing just because it requires very different strategies than all the tactical combat games.  I suppose the focus on being sneaky is the reason some people don't like it so much?


MengJiao

Quote from: RooksBailey on May 28, 2015, 09:00:55 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 28, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
Sounds enticing.  Last night I gave up on an agency, but the game released two new agents and let me try the base again.  I had been doing well, but drones were slowly closing in and I could not see a way out.  But now I'm re-trying with a new procedurally-generated place to infiltrate.

I haven't been playing it much but the last time I did play I found myself in a tough spot (again, using my own modded rules in the editor).  We had to heist an executive's brain to get  a security code for a later vault heist (I wish the game had more connected missions like this!).  Well, after we got the code, it tripped an alarm, spawning a bunch of security.  Due to the layout of the building, my two man team was basically trapped behind enemy lines.  Fortunately, we had Shalem (sp?), his sniper rifle, and two packs of ammo.   >:D  We tore through the security, leaving bodies as we went, and pinning the security meter at a maxed-out Level 6!  :2funny:  That was epic. 

Afterwards, I realized that that is what Invisible Inc needs more of: combat.  Not saying I want it to become a tactical wargame like Frozen Synapse or Shadowrun, but just that outright combat missions should be part of the available mission selections for those who want to go loud for a change of pace.

  Even with just the EMP bomb and the tazers and the tranquilizers, I treat it as a combat game (positioning to ambush guards etc), but my early game gear is pretty poor against drones (just EMP and mainframe overrides).  So I may just get out on this mission rather than battle the drones.

MengJiao

Quote from: -budd- on August 20, 2014, 01:44:28 AM
looking forward to your opinion on the game.

  RPS has it as "Game of the Month"...Last month they had two games of the month: GTAV and something else.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on May 29, 2015, 07:08:16 AM
I tend to get more conflict with the release version than the older Early Access versions I had previously played.  I enjoy this thing just because it requires very different strategies than all the tactical combat games.  I suppose the focus on being sneaky is the reason some people don't like it so much?

  The thinking the game requires can be a bit twisted at times.  You have to have your eyes on 3-4 critical things and 3-4 probably problematic things at once.  Plus the defenders and topologies are not only ever-changing, but change even within a mission (scanners, barriers, demons etc.).  I've learned to be pretty flexible and to just get out fast when things go from chancy to not so good.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on June 08, 2015, 09:44:16 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 29, 2015, 07:08:16 AM
I tend to get more conflict with the release version than the older Early Access versions I had previously played.  I enjoy this thing just because it requires very different strategies than all the tactical combat games.  I suppose the focus on being sneaky is the reason some people don't like it so much?

  The thinking the game requires can be a bit twisted at times.  You have to have your eyes on 3-4 critical things and 3-4 probably problematic things at once.  Plus the defenders and topologies are not only ever-changing, but change even within a mission (scanners, barriers, demons etc.).  I've learned to be pretty flexible and to just get out fast when things go from chancy to not so good.

Yeah.  Get out quick when things turn sour... if you've found the exit!

Still can be very challenging since the more direct conflict you commit, the faster the difficulty ramps up.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on June 08, 2015, 07:04:29 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on June 08, 2015, 09:44:16 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 29, 2015, 07:08:16 AM
I tend to get more conflict with the release version than the older Early Access versions I had previously played.  I enjoy this thing just because it requires very different strategies than all the tactical combat games.  I suppose the focus on being sneaky is the reason some people don't like it so much?

  The thinking the game requires can be a bit twisted at times.  You have to have your eyes on 3-4 critical things and 3-4 probably problematic things at once.  Plus the defenders and topologies are not only ever-changing, but change even within a mission (scanners, barriers, demons etc.).  I've learned to be pretty flexible and to just get out fast when things go from chancy to not so good.

Yeah.  Get out quick when things turn sour... if you've found the exit!

Still can be very challenging since the more direct conflict you commit, the faster the difficulty ramps up.

  I had a great round of the game last night.  It was supposedly pretty routine, but the defenders had a scanner and some events "changed the guard cycle"...I had Internationale with a tranqualizer gun and Smedly (not his real name) with some good stuff, so I wasn't too worried until I had to deal with 3 guards in 2 turns and all the cool-downs were cooling down.  I had to rewind and change my tranq-gun timing etc.  AND then I guard shows up in a geodesic dome and super armor and it was time to run.  I got the goods and some neato stuff and got out.  Very satisfying, though without the rewind, Smedly would have been dead.

RooksBailey

#51
Update today:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/243970/announcements/detail/61148642030933158

QuoteUpdate 11: Fresh Code

The update is live! The official update notes are below. There are a few extra items since the post on the weekend.
 
In order to save the progress of missions in older saves, some of the update features will not apply until after the current mission is complete. Any new mission started after the update will have all the features.
 
Items marked with a * will apply to missions started before the update.
 
New Features
2 new starting programs to unlock.
8 new programs to find and buy at server terminals.
Kevin's expanded agent banter added[forums.kleientertainment.com].
New versions of the location maps:
new Vault
new CEO office
new Detention Center
new Guard Dispatch
new Server Farm
new Nanofab Vestibule
new Cyberlab (special!)
New starting room variations
Open single door hotkey - default is F. *
Armor icon and stat always visible on guards. *
Item requirements always show. *
CTRL click for right click on MAC enabled. *
Tooltip on guards searched and expertly searched by an agent with Anarchy 5. *
Augment grafter panel improved. *
Balance Changes
Felix daemon has been changed. 
Cloak Rig III has been changed.
Bug fixes
Guards insta killing KO agents when they wake up is fixed.
KO resistance will modify all KO effects like shocktaps and flash grenades
Fixed blocked peeking in an obscure case. * 
Blinking rewind button no longer pauses gameplay. *
Time attack mode will now also unlock Expert level achievements. *
Holocircuit Overloaders do not make a noise that will alert guards.
Modded plastech guard spawn rate bug fixed
Endless key card exploit removed
Central can now pick up the final mission item ( for when she starts with a full inventory).*
Anatomy Analysis will not activate on disabled heart monitors.
A Prisoner or Courier can abandon an agent in the field as long as at least one agent has escaped beforehand. *
Items killed while parasited will release the parasite.
Fusion shows the right tooltips and operates as described.
 

Also, Sharp and Prism now have their alternate starting versions like the other agents. Sharp's alt lines up with the other agents as he comes with the standard Neural Disrupter and augment combo. His new augment is similar yet different than his standard one. Prism on the other hand changes the formula up more radically with her Holo Projection Mesh. She doesn't start with a weapon, but this item unique to Prism allows her to put on a guard disguise. As some have suggestion, disguise is a lot like invisibility, but it has it's own brand of perks and drawbacks that make it it's own thing.


That is quite a meaty update!  Nice. 

Also, looks like the DLC plans have been expanded and, hence, delayed:

QuoteDLC News

Previously we had said there would be a small PEIA (Pan Euro Infosec Agency) DLC. It was going be several new agents that Central worked with during her time in that organization. We've been listening to the comments on the forum and on Steam and the overwhelming desire is to see more of the campaign. So we've decided to expand the DLC's scope.
 
Along with the previously mentioned PEIA agents, this new larger "Contingency Plan" DLC will extend the time of the campaign as well as new programs and gear for the agents and new security for the corps. New guards, Daemons and other complications.
 
We will also be looking into the possibility of new game modes as well as extending the life of Endless Mode further than day 10. "Contingency Plan" will be coming out in the Fall.

Sounds good!

I just started a new campaign and had a devil of a mission where my two agents were out to steal a vault keycard.  Even though the map wasn't that big, we had a heck of a time getting out.  Extracting the info from the knocked out exec is a big time sink that really put one of my agents in a tight spot.  There were three guards patrolling the office at one point with my agent hiding behind a sofa!   ;D  Fortunately, the office layout kept the guards looking away from me and the body of the exec.  I should have captured a video of that mission because it was so darn intense.  We didn't exfiltrate until Security Level 6 was reached(!) and there was a virtual army of guards running around.  Without Decker's cloak and newly purchased tranq rifle, the mission probably would have failed.  Somehow we made it out without being caught once!  That was they type of mission that makes me want to watch The Usual Suspects and/or The Asphalt Jungle again.   8)

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro