I withdraw my support for RPS and eat a large slice of humble pie

Started by Huw the Poo, August 23, 2014, 03:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Con

Honestly this is too convoluted and basically exhausting for me too care about.  I am glad that people have this passion about arguing for games but to me it sounds too much like the political intrigues/backstabbing/harassment and bullying found in any large corporate organization.  Just with a million monkeys typing about it on the internet.

Con

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Con on August 26, 2014, 04:46:00 PM
Honestly this is too convoluted and basically exhausting for me too care about.  I am glad that people have this passion about arguing for games but to me it sounds too much like the political intrigues/backstabbing/harassment and bullying found in any large corporate organization.  Just with a million monkeys typing about it on the internet.

Con

The harassment and bullying is precisely what I'm opposed to.  I get that feminists and SJW will always be annoyed with certain games and that's fine, if that's all it was.  But lately anyone who dares have any kind of opposing viewpoint is being hounded, and that's what's making me so angry.  I don't care that other people have different opinions to my own, I just want them to keep them to themselves and not try to coerce other people into parroting the same stuff.

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 26, 2014, 04:41:54 PM
You left out Wimminkind.  Sexist pig.

OK that genuinely made me LOL!  Thanks mate!

Boggit

Your post raises some interesting issues about censorship on forums that IanC was talking about - that any dissenting opinion can get you hounded, or even banned from a forum just for being honest in your view. :-X Scary thought if that really was all there was to it. :o

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11017.0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Huw the Poo

Wow, that's quite the story!  I'm amazed I wasn't banned, then, when EU3 was out and I questioned why I should buy the DLC just to make the game playable. :)

panzerde

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 26, 2014, 04:31:27 PM

One part of the fuel for the fire was a video by some feminist called Anita Sarkeesian "explaining" how women are objectified in games and how such games are normalising the objectification of women in real life.


In general I'll just point at Brant's posts and say "what he said" pretty much sums up what I think on the topic. 

I will say stacking Anita Sarkeesian versus the average gaming troll cretin in a discussion is liable to create such a potent singularity of stupid that, well, it's likely to tear the ass-end out of the universe. It's just a bad idea.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Huw the Poo

Quote from: panzerde on August 26, 2014, 06:45:51 PM
I will say stacking Anita Sarkeesian versus the average gaming troll cretin in a discussion is liable to create such a potent singularity of stupid that, well, it's likely to tear the ass-end out of the universe. It's just a bad idea.

Oh she formed a cogent argument, absolutely, and one would at least hope that she frowns on the actions of her legion of followers.  I just happen to think that she's entirely wrong.  I also have more to say about her later, but it's 01:00 here and I'm off to bed for now.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 26, 2014, 04:31:27 PMIf anyone seriously thinks that the objectification of women in games can cause a corresponding increase in the objectification of women in real life, shouldn't we also be agreeing with the time-worn and demonstrably false notion that violence in games can cause an increase in violence in real life?

So if there's no ability to learn from video games then the Marines are wasting a shitload of time and money on Smuck to manage their DVTE suite?

The "learning from video games" crowd has to come to grips with the fact that if there are actual learning effects from games, that some of those effects can be negative.  It's the structure around the learning that reinforces the positive effects while maintaining a control on the negative effects.  But there's no way that you can argue that video games don't have an informal learning effect while trying to simultaneously arguing for the positive effects of video games in a formal learning context.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Father Ted

My view on this topic is that the difficulty I have with all these sort of discussions is that both "sides" expect to be allowed to promote their arguments, yet get annoyed at the other "side" being allowed to promote its argument.  My opinion of someone might be that they're a total f*cking c*nt - do I have an inalienable right to express that  opinion?  If I post that opinion and it's deleted, am I the victim of censorship?

Rest assured I'm posting this in the spirit of a Devil's Advocate, to promote discussion, not start a row.

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 26, 2014, 09:50:16 AM

it sounds a lot like the extremists on both sides or just shouting at each other, and no one is bothering to listen in the middle anywhere


That is as perfect a summation of politics as I have EVER seen!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Toonces

It's probably breast if both sides of the hill just stop juggling these issues and drop it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Boggit

Quote from: Father Ted on August 26, 2014, 07:27:38 PM
My view on this topic is that the difficulty I have with all these sort of discussions is that both "sides" expect to be allowed to promote their arguments, yet get annoyed at the other "side" being allowed to promote its argument.  My opinion of someone might be that they're a total f*cking c*nt - do I have an inalienable right to express that  opinion?  If I post that opinion and it's deleted, am I the victim of censorship?

Rest assured I'm posting this in the spirit of a Devil's Advocate, to promote discussion, not start a row.
Fair enough then - here's an alternate position to discuss -

I suppose it depends how it is done, and also the nature of the audience you address. It's one thing discussing the matter privately with a few mates over a few beers, it's another altogether with a general audience whom you are unlikely to know in entirety. Firstly the language used is inappropriate to factually describe your opinion of the the person. All it does is convey an insult, and reflect on your inability to clearly articulate why you feel that way about them - They are not literally as described.

I think it is a basic line of civility you will have crossed at that point - as much towards the wider audience, as to the subject in question. On that basis censorship is more to do with the nature of the language used for the offense it is likely to convey to the audience, rather than an injunction on your capacity to express an opinion on a person.

Conversely, you could cite evidence as to the behaviour of said person, and say on that basis you question their character res ipso loquitur - that the facts speak for themselves. It's then quite hard for your detractors to rationally argue your opinion other than on the facts. If at that point you are censored for making an argument on the facts then I think you have every right to be upset at censorship - it does depend to some extent on your target audience - but I don't think is a general unalienable right to express any opinion any way you like without drawing, perhaps warranted criticism at the way it's done rather than for the substance of the criticism.

My $0.02, again playing Devil's Advocate in the interest of promoting the discussion. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

GDS_Starfury

its actually the kinda chick I see Mirth banging.   >:D  ^-^  :2funny:  :buck2:  :idiot2:  :smitten:  :uglystupid2:  :tickedoff:  O0

oh, those smileys aren't my commentary.  thats how the date goes.

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Boggit

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 27, 2014, 12:05:33 AM
its actually the kinda chick I see Mirth banging.   >:D  ^-^  :2funny:  :buck2:  :idiot2:  :smitten:  :uglystupid2:  :tickedoff:  O0
Now you're being mean... ::) ;) :2funny:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


bayonetbrant

Back to one of Huw's key points - there's no reason to completely shut down the debate on this, if people can manage to keep it civil.  As long as you're not insulting each other or giving out personal info (aka "doxxing") or otherwise trolling with the sole point of fanning the flames, there's no reason not to just talk about both sides, or all the different sides in this case.

Aside from a few flare-ups in the Combat Mission threads, we've been able to keep things pretty civil around here, and that's one of the things I like most about this place.  I imagine that'll get tougher as we grow, but so far, I'm happy with the level of discussion we tend to have.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers