I withdraw my support for RPS and eat a large slice of humble pie

Started by Huw the Poo, August 23, 2014, 03:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 25, 2014, 10:31:31 AM
There should be some serious law enforcement attention on this digital hooliganism. Releasing private information and threats of rape and mass murder might seem like mean but harmless fun to the perpetrators but there need to be some lines that bring consequences when crossed.  >:(

Agreed. I haven't seen the direct quotes, but from what I've read there has been some serious crossing-of-the-line that ought to bring legal repercussions.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Huw the Poo

It happens to prominent Gamergaters too.  You don't see those reported in mainstream media, of course.

GDS_Starfury

if Gus was ever unwilling we would all be in a bit of trouble.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 25, 2014, 10:31:31 AM
There should be some serious law enforcement attention on this digital hooliganism. Releasing private information and threats of rape and mass murder might seem like mean but harmless fun to the perpetrators but there need to be some lines that bring consequences when crossed.  >:(


I see these punk kids on most large game chat systems (check out the main chat in free games like WT or WOT on a regular basis).  There is often one or a few hanging around spouting foul-mouthed comments (usually racist ones) and slinging threats at people.  The vast majority are full of shit and of no consequence.

They're just stupid man-children with tantrum & attention issues who just want to piss in other people's fun.   Probably the same type of shitheads who turn into school shooters at the most extreme end of the sprectrum.

Bison

It's a draw back of the internet.  People will often say things that they'd lack the courage to say to someone in person.  Hence the reason I turn off general chat chants 99% of the time when I play an MMO.

Staggerwing

I don't accept "It's just the internet" as an excuse. If someone baselessly calls someone else a thief in print or on TV there are legal consequences. Why should someone get a pass if they threaten mass murder instead?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 25, 2014, 11:22:16 AM
It happens to prominent Gamergaters too.  You don't see those reported in mainstream media, of course.

to be honest, I haven't seen it reported anywhere. & I have been monitoring a lot of message traffic on this issue.I have seen accusations a personal information being released, but I have not seen or seen any reports of rats against personal property by anyone on the anti gamergate side.
if it is happening, it is incredibly well buried. And certainly has not risen to the point where law enforcement is getting involved because of mortal threats against public speakers


even more telling, it is virtually impossible to find any public statement on the pro gamergate side from anyone willing to use their real name. It is almost as if they are afraid of the scrutiny that might come with it. they realize that there is no way to publicly defend rats that have been made against women on the Internet. So there is no chance that they will try to go and attempt to defend the behavior.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Huw the Poo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 25, 2014, 01:21:05 PM
I have not seen or seen any reports of rats against personal property by anyone on the anti gamergate side.
if it is happening, it is incredibly well buried.

Just monitor #gamergate on Twitter, or /r/Kotakuinaction.  Mainstream media won't report on it because it doesn't suit their agenda, but it's happening all the same.  As I said upthread, anti-Gamergaters even threatened a 10-year-old boy.

Quoteeven more telling, it is virtually impossible to find any public statement on the pro gamergate side from anyone willing to use their real name. It is almost as if they are afraid of the scrutiny that might come with it. they realize that there is no way to publicly defend rats that have been made against women on the Internet. So there is no chance that they will try to go and attempt to defend the behavior.

And therein lies the problem.  If you speak in favour of Gamergate you're immediately (mis)labeled a misogynist (I don't think many people in the debate understand what that word actually means).  It's easy to publically deride Gamergate because that makes you look - to the ignorant - like someone who "just wants equality" or whatever, whereas if you publically laud Gamergate you must be a woman-hating troll.  This is precisely the root of the problem, as I have been saying in this very thread for months now.

Again, you need only to watch #gamergate, /r/kotakuinaction or indeed 8chan.  In fact, some developers and other interested parties - including women, black people and others who the anti-Gamergaters are purportedly "defending" - have publically criticised anti-Gamergaters.  That's how the #notyourshield hashtag was born.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 25, 2014, 06:58:58 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 25, 2014, 01:21:05 PM
I have not seen or seen any reports of rats against personal property by anyone on the anti gamergate side.
if it is happening, it is incredibly well buried.

Just monitor #gamergate on Twitter, or /r/Kotakuinaction.  Mainstream media won't report on it because it doesn't suit their agenda, but it's happening all the same.  As I said upthread, anti-Gamergaters even threatened a 10-year-old boy.

Quoteeven more telling, it is virtually impossible to find any public statement on the pro gamergate side from anyone willing to use their real name. It is almost as if they are afraid of the scrutiny that might come with it. they realize that there is no way to publicly defend rats that have been made against women on the Internet. So there is no chance that they will try to go and attempt to defend the behavior.

And therein lies the problem.  If you speak in favour of Gamergate you're immediately (mis)labeled a misogynist (I don't think many people in the debate understand what that word actually means).  It's easy to publically deride Gamergate because that makes you look - to the ignorant - like someone who "just wants equality" or whatever, whereas if you publically laud Gamergate you must be a woman-hating troll.  This is precisely the root of the problem, as I have been saying in this very thread for months now.

Again, you need only to watch #gamergate, /r/kotakuinaction or indeed 8chan.  In fact, some developers and other interested parties - including women, black people and others who the anti-Gamergaters are purportedly "defending" - have publically criticised anti-Gamergaters.  That's how the #notyourshield hashtag was born.

'Mainstream Media' doesn't really report on it, PERIOD (I'm talking games press) because the vast majority of people are barely aware of what really is a tempest in a teapot. There is no vast conspiracy. Rather, there is a complete lack of interest, in part because there is no coherent, cohesive call for anything from the GG side. Instead, it's just a mass of hundreds of voices asking for dozens of things. There is nothing unified for most people to latch a narrative to.

As for fringe people tossing out labels, that exists across the board, and those people are best left ignored as in any other discussion. And for the most part, they are.

Huw the Poo

Well, by mainstream media I meant mainstream games media.  But as someone pointed out earlier, there's a horribly-written Time piece about some of it.

Jarhead0331

So here is a game advertised on Steam called the TesserAct. The quick description of the game is:

QuoteIndie, Puzzle, Female Protagonist

I mean, REALLY? This is what passes for a description now? 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 27, 2014, 06:46:41 PM
So here is a game advertised on Steam called the TesserAct. The quick description of the game is:

QuoteIndie, Puzzle, Female Protagonist

I mean, REALLY? This is what passes for a description now? 

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  They'll release a DLC where you can play her fully-clothed and asexual.

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 27, 2014, 06:46:41 PM
I mean, REALLY? This is what passes for a description now?

Welcome to the Brave New World of tagging. Those aren't "descriptions" meant for people, but for the benefit of search engines (which are keyword based). In particular, you get to see by default the tags the most people has attached to that game. I find it can hardly get more factual than that, and sometimes the combinations have a bit of a haiku like quality. Some other examples

IL-2: Battle Of Stalingrad

Simulation, Flight, World War II, Historical, Action

Civilization V

Turn-Based Strategy, Strategy, Turn-Based, Multiplayer, Historical, 4X, Singleplayer, Hex Grid, Grand Strategy, Co-op, Replay Value, Moddable, Tactical, Great Soundtrack, Touch-Friendly, Simulation, Diplomacy, Economy, Classic, Education

Alien: Isolation

Horror, Survival Horror, Atmospheric, Sci-fi, Aliens, First-Person, Survival, Stealth, Space, Female Protagonist, Singleplayer, Action, Adventure, Movie, FPS, Great Soundtrack, Difficult, Funny, Gore, Shooter

If you search for "rubbish" you get far less results than it was common a couple months back (tags eventually got "moderated")

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_7_7_151_12&term=rubbish

Gotta love the "discovery component" of keyword-based searches. Otherwise I'd have never learnt of the existence of this

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294830/

even funnier is to see Arma III to be in the list of "Related Products"  ;D

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on October 27, 2014, 08:11:42 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 27, 2014, 06:46:41 PM
I mean, REALLY? This is what passes for a description now?

Welcome to the Brave New World of tagging. Those aren't "descriptions" meant for people, but for the benefit of search engines (which are keyword based). In particular, you get to see by default the tags the most people has attached to that game. I find it can hardly get more factual than that, and sometimes the combinations have a bit of a haiku like quality. Some other examples

IL-2: Battle Of Stalingrad

Simulation, Flight, World War II, Historical, Action

Civilization V

Turn-Based Strategy, Strategy, Turn-Based, Multiplayer, Historical, 4X, Singleplayer, Hex Grid, Grand Strategy, Co-op, Replay Value, Moddable, Tactical, Great Soundtrack, Touch-Friendly, Simulation, Diplomacy, Economy, Classic, Education

Alien: Isolation

Horror, Survival Horror, Atmospheric, Sci-fi, Aliens, First-Person, Survival, Stealth, Space, Female Protagonist, Singleplayer, Action, Adventure, Movie, FPS, Great Soundtrack, Difficult, Funny, Gore, Shooter

If you search for "rubbish" you get far less results than it was common a couple months back (tags eventually got "moderated")

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_7_7_151_12&term=rubbish

Gotta love the "discovery component" of keyword-based searches. Otherwise I'd have never learnt of the existence of this

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294830/

even funnier is to see Arma III to be in the list of "Related Products"  ;D

That makes it even more pathetic. There are people out there actually searching for games with a "female protagonist"?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 27, 2014, 09:19:25 PM
That makes it even more pathetic. There are people out there actually searching for games with a "female protagonist"?

There's also people out there search out for "nudity"

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_7_7_151_12&term=nudity

and of course "family friendly"

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_7_7_151_12&term=family+friendly

If coprophagia was socially accepted, probably there would be people searching out that on Steam :)