Main Menu

Pike and Shot

Started by Rayfer, September 05, 2014, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

panzerde

Quote from: Bison on October 21, 2014, 07:51:26 PM
OK.  I've figured out one of the things that was driving me nuts.  For some reason I had (at least I thought had) detailed information being displayed and was underwhelmed with the information.  However I reset the detail information in the options and restarted the game and the amount of detail is significantly better.  Now the engagements and results actually make much more sense.  I might slowly be being won over by the game now.  :D

That does make a lot of difference. Did you also turn on the detailed combat results? I like those much better.

White Mountain is a bloodbath. I went to the mat with the AI the first time I fought it, and came within 1% of winning - the battle was a draw as both forces had lost more then 60%. Tonight the AI concentrated four tercios and half a dozen kuriasser squadrons on my right and simply steamrolled my flank. What was most impressive is that the AI's attack was en echelon. He hit my left first, then my center, and finally a hammer blow on my right. The bulk of my troops were tied up and couldn't reposition. I could only watch in awe as he punched a huge hole in my line and my troops just shattered like glass. AI loses were only 35% this time.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

While it's based on the same system as FOG, the combat results don't seem to be so widely varied and the AI may be a bit better in P&S.

I wish we had a FOG series from these guys.  Or the original FOG series got that big revision we were hearing about awhile back.  The musket era is great, but a second to playing out classical battles for me.

jomni

Yes.  I'm glad they used this than the FOG engine because the AI there is horrendous!

LongBlade

Clearly, I'm an idiot: how do you end your turn in the tutorial?

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Philippe

There's a little metal-colored arrow that's kind of hard to see in the middle of the portrait of your commander (middle of bottom of screen).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.


History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.


Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

LongBlade

Quote from: Philippe on October 22, 2014, 10:36:07 AM
There's a little metal-colored arrow that's kind of hard to see in the middle of the portrait of your commander (middle of bottom of screen).

Ha! I knew it would be obvious.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

PAK

Quote from: LongBlade on October 22, 2014, 10:21:27 AM
Clearly, I'm an idiot: how do you end your turn in the tutorial?

Don't worry, it took me some 5 minutes to locate this damned  arrow :-)

LongBlade

Quote from: PAK on October 22, 2014, 11:30:23 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 22, 2014, 10:21:27 AM
Clearly, I'm an idiot: how do you end your turn in the tutorial?

Don't worry, it took me some 5 minutes to locate this damned  arrow :-)

I never did find it, though I did do a word search in the game manual for "turn." Didn't find it there, either.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jack Nastyface

FWIW...I've been playing lots of English Civil War skirmish games, and I can't believe how much of an impact 80 or 90 extra force points can make to an open battle.  I have been soundly trounced by the blasted Royalists in 5 out of 6 game, and only managed a win on the one game due to the convenient location of a small wood that protected two muskateer units.   Once I manually changed the points-per-side to about equal, victory was much more accessible.
Otherwise a good game, though I do agree that terrain doesn't appear to make a huge difference.  I recently Flank Charged a Pike and shot unit that was positioned in square with a stream, and they held fast.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

LongBlade

Ah.

A much improved gaming experience when you can end a turn.

The Battle Academy engine does a surprisingly good job of holding up in the 30 Years War.

A couple of minor quibbles: the first tutorial tells us that we're German Protestants facing German Catholics, but the actual game has Swedes vs Germans.

Also, the introduction from the game manual is deceptively simple. The 30YW is the most complicated piece of history I've yet run across. I get they want to go simple, but still...
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Johnnie

I don't believe how well the game engine translates to the musket and pike period.  I think it would work just as well for battles of the Napoleonic and Civil War eras.  Get to it Slitherine.

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on October 22, 2014, 11:54:06 AM
Quote from: PAK on October 22, 2014, 11:30:23 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 22, 2014, 10:21:27 AM
Clearly, I'm an idiot: how do you end your turn in the tutorial?

Don't worry, it took me some 5 minutes to locate this damned  arrow :-)

I never did find it, though I did do a word search in the game manual for "turn." Didn't find it there, either.


I used the [ENTER] key until I happened to notice it sitting on top of the pic at the bottom center.  ;D

I'm guessing it's placed over the top of it on lower screen resolutions, if there isn't enough space underneath.

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on October 22, 2014, 01:19:30 PM

I used the [ENTER] key until I happened to notice it sitting on top of the pic at the bottom center.  ;D

I'm guessing it's placed over the top of it on lower screen resolutions, if there isn't enough space underneath.

I'm on a laptop. It was (and remains) virtually invisible.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Cyrano

I'm usually the blind guy in the room and compensate with a VERY large monitor.

It is rare that I don't have a visual problem that others do...

Feeling MIGHTY pleased with myself at the moment.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

jomni

Quote from: Johnnie on October 22, 2014, 12:32:23 PM
I don't believe how well the game engine translates to the musket and pike period.  I think it would work just as well for battles of the Napoleonic and Civil War eras.  Get to it Slitherine.

They can even recode ancient warfare Field of Glory into this and dump the old FOG computer game.