Main Menu

Pike and Shot

Started by Rayfer, September 05, 2014, 09:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

#270
Quote from: panzerde on April 26, 2015, 10:23:03 AM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on April 25, 2015, 09:29:03 PM
On a related note to P&S...has anyone tried the new content, tercio and salvo?

I have it, but haven't played many of the scenarios yet. Jomni is right on; it looks like more of the same with different armies and time periods. That's a good thing, IMHO.

I've actually spent more time with the recently released Community Scenarios that can be downloaded from within the game. The ones I've played so far are definitely superior to any included in the game, with better maps and more historical OOBs.

Here's a list of community scenarios for those who have and don't have Pike and Shot:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=299&t=55562

jomni


jomni

I can't believe I missed this.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=299&t=65198&p=557481#p557481

Key words: persistent campaign, strategic map, resources, sieges.

Sir Slash

My loins are moistening at the thought.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on June 24, 2015, 03:12:11 AM
I can't believe I missed this.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=299&t=65198&p=557481#p557481

Key words: persistent campaign, strategic map, resources, sieges.


Quote..Beta of Pike and Shot Gold..


Gold?

I suppose we'll be buying a full version once again? 

jomni

#275
Quote from: Nefaro on June 24, 2015, 10:59:42 AM
Quote from: jomni on June 24, 2015, 03:12:11 AM
I can't believe I missed this.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=299&t=65198&p=557481#p557481

Key words: persistent campaign, strategic map, resources, sieges.


Quote..Beta of Pike and Shot Gold..


Gold?

I suppose we'll be buying a full version once again?

Beats me.  But they said the new features will not make its way to the iPad version.  Since Apple will stop accepting 32bit programs.
So it seems to be a separate product.  Hope there's an upgrade path.

steve58

#276
Pike and Shot: Campaigns announced

Quote
Pike and Shot: Campaigns is a brand new all-in-one package. It includes the Pike and Shot base game and the Tercio to Salvo expansion, plus 21 new skirmish army lists for the rest of Europe during the period of the Italian Wars (1494-1559) covering the armies of England, Scotland, Denmark, Sweden, German States, Austria, Hungary, Transylvania, the Ottoman Empire, Poland-Lithuania and Russia!

But the main new feature is the strategic map system, implemented to allow you to lead your armies to victory over an entire theatre of operations, taking into account strategic considerations such as terrain, available manpower, supply, attrition, sieges and economic damage.

Pike and Shot: Campaigns includes 4 campaigns:

  • Gustavus Adolphus, set in the "Swedish phase" of the Thirty Years War, allows you to play as Swedes or Imperialists.
  • English Civil War allows you to play as Royalists or Parliamentarians.
  • Great Turkish War, set in the period of the famous Siege and Battle of Vienna in 1683, allows you to play as Austria and Poland or as the Ottoman Empire.
  • Pike and Shot allows you to match any two armies from 1494 to 1648 in a struggle for dominance.

If you already own Pike and Shot and Tercio to Salvo, prepare for a great promotion. The game launches on August 13th!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Boggit

What with AGEOD's Thirty Years War in development, and this coming out soon, I'm in renaissance heaven. :smitten:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

Here's Pike and Shot Campaigns in action.

panzerde

I have to say, as much as I love the era I think I'm giving this a miss. The campaign layer is far too coarse with the focus being on regions and not cities/towns. There's not really much there. It also looks like there's no attempt at historical units in the campaigns. When I see stuff like "Royalist 4th Pike & Shot" as a unit name that sucks an awful lot of the enjoyment out of the game for me.

So, since this looks to be a pretty simplistic campaign layer that doesn't have much relationship to the realities of campaigning in the era, I'll stick with the original game. I'm hoping the new AGEOD title will be more historical.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

Basically, the campaign is a just a way to tie together the skirmish battles.
You can't have historical unit names when the units are actually raised by the player "skirmish style".
But if you raise units from a fixed set of OOB, then that can be done in a historical way.
Agree, that the "4th" naming convention is quite funny and off-era.

tgb

The lack of a cohesive campaign was the only thing keeping me from getting the original.  I've got my eye on this one.

jomni

My campaign AAR has been published by Slitherine.  Hope you get a picture of how the campaign works.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=299&t=66598&sid=b829655e168003b9f3a7f1de6e3fe0a0

Sir Slash

I'm liking what I'm seeing here. Is this the only area of the campaign, central Germany?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

glen55

I've been on the verge of buying this game for a while.  If the campaign layer adds anything at all, I am going to finally take the plunge.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower