Hammer of the Scots

Started by DicedT, September 18, 2014, 03:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DicedT

In honor of Scotland's referendum.

Hard as it was, I refrained from using any of the puns from the previous Scottish thread.  http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/09/18/like_stratego_with_more_bagpipes_scotland_independence_referendum_hammer_of_the_scots

Michael

bayonetbrant

we can always go crash the comments and do it for you! ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 18, 2014, 03:42:49 PM
we can always go crash the comments and do it for you! ;)

Great Scot! An excellent idea!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

I've always thought that game looked interesting, but I've never been able to nail down the rules.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on September 18, 2014, 05:14:02 PM
I've always thought that game looked interesting, but I've never been able to nail down the rules.

Am I missing something? I don't see a pun in that reply. The shock almost kilt me.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DicedT

Actually, if you want to leave comments -- from a wargamer's perspective -- on the FP site or on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/foreign.policy.magazine), that would be great. Most people aren't familiar with historical wargames, and someone to guide them would be wonderful.

MacPuns are optional.

Michael

Toonces

Quote from: LongBlade on September 18, 2014, 05:17:32 PM
Quote from: Toonces on September 18, 2014, 05:14:02 PM
I've always thought that game looked interesting, but I've never been able to nail down the rules.

Am I missing something? I don't see a pun in that reply. The shock almost kilt me.

hammer...nail.  Man alive, if I have to explain it it's not funny.   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on September 19, 2014, 12:31:54 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 18, 2014, 05:17:32 PM
Quote from: Toonces on September 18, 2014, 05:14:02 PM
I've always thought that game looked interesting, but I've never been able to nail down the rules.

Am I missing something? I don't see a pun in that reply. The shock almost kilt me.

hammer...nail.  Man alive, if I have to explain it it's not funny.   ::)

Ooohhhhh. Mighty clever of you! I totally missed it.  :uglystupid2:
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

I call it a "stealth pun".  They're the most dangerous kind of all.   >:D
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

The pun equivalent of a Silent but Deadly?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Quote from: Toonces on September 19, 2014, 12:39:52 PM
I call it a "stealth pun".  They're the most dangerous kind of all.   >:D

Awesome. I bow down to a master punster.  O0
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

He did manage to screw that one in without us noticing.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat


mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus