DVG Games

Started by JudgeDredd, September 22, 2014, 03:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Quote from: Gator Skin on September 22, 2014, 07:26:59 PM
SO tempted by Nimitz. I'm not even sure that board will fit on my table! Haven't seen a solitaire game that size since Where There Is Discord.

Aye, its a fair old size, innit. However, the solo aspect makes it very tempting.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

I've just been notified that my Fleet Commander Nimitz is now shipping. Unfortunately, the accompanying free mounted boards have got lost in transit. So I have to wait on those.
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 08, 2015, 09:19:21 AM
I've just been notified that my Fleet Commander Nimitz is now shipping. Unfortunately, the accompanying free mounted boards have got lost in transit. So I have to wait on those.

I want to order that game so bad but I have absolutely nowhere to set up a board of that size. I've investigated ideas on mounting it to a wall but haven't seen any really good ways to do it. Plus I have no idea what the wife would say about it.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

mmm...I didn't check the size of the board!  ::)
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

From the website:

Quote1 Super-sized Full Color Mounted Map (25.5" x 22") - 6 panels!
1 Full Color Battle Map Board (11" x 17")

The Campaign Map really isn't that big when you fold it out. You'll need a decently wide space to put it and the Battle Map board next to each other, unless you have some other place you can put the Battle Map.

JudgeDredd

The size isn't times 6 is it? I read that as roughly 2ftx2ft made up of 6 panels....it's not 2ftx2ft x 6??
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

No no, the total size is 25.5" x 22", and it is made up of six panels.

Check out my unboxing article - the Campaign Map is in there somewhere. You'll get a good look at it there as it's fresh out of the box and not lying quite flat yet.

http://grogheads.com/?p=6955

JudgeDredd

wow! That's alot of counters! I have absolutely no idea where I'm going to store those!

Oh - and I did read your article previously (I think I commented) and it was a good one...I'd just forgot  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Ha, no worries about forgetting. I do that all the time.

As for the counters - yeah, prepare yourself. If you get the counter tray it will not store everything in the box (not even close), but you can use it to store the 'data' counters (airfields, markers, supply counters, etcetera).

For now, I'm using Ziploc sandwich bags to store the US and Japanese counters. I divided them up so one bag has US forces for '42, one for US forces in '43, etc....so that makes eight Ziploc bags total. Kinda busy but it's really easy to set up that way.

Also was working on a sheet to help organize counters in order to set them up. I created a thread here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12276.0

PanzersEast

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 09, 2015, 11:08:27 AM
wow! That's alot of counters! I have absolutely no idea where I'm going to store those!

Oh - and I did read your article previously (I think I commented) and it was a good one...I'd just forgot  :idiot2:

Wait until you get them on the board and move them around......   :D

PE

BanzaiCat

It CAN be exhausting to roll many times for a large Japanese stack. I played one turn two nights ago and took a break! We had a Battle of the Solomons where I had two carriers, three cruiser counters, one DD counter, and one SS counter, while the Japanese had a battleship five cruiser counters...but I wiped them all out thanks to a 4-turn-long battle.

While logistically this game can be tiring, the rewards make up for that investment of effort. The above battle went down to the wire; I sank the last Japanese ships on turn 3 of the battle, so by the last battle they had already landed their infantry (a battalion and a division). Thankfully I had bought a Marine division and shipped it there...the Americans just managed to hold on by the end of the last battle turn. However, the Japanese have a ton of CVs that moved to Iwo Jima, so the next few turns should be interesting.

By the time I was done with that Solomons battle, I didn't feel like pulling the single US battalion guarding Borneo to the Battle Board to be swarmed by a dozen Japanese units, lol. Nor the New Guinea battle which has two Allied air units and several Japanese opposing them. I'll get to that tonight I think.