Next Total War Game - Possible Clue?

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 25, 2014, 06:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on September 26, 2014, 12:52:24 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 26, 2014, 12:01:03 PM
Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2014, 07:34:47 AM
So LB the Armenia campaign calms down after some time, that is good to see.Armenia will definitely be my next foray into Rome 2.

It's hairy from the opening turn. Prepare yourself.

Is it as bad as Epirus?

Haven't played them.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

This one isn't really making me overly excited.

LongBlade

I'll see if I can find Epirus and fire it up to see how it plays.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Ah. Epirus is in the Greek States DLC. Which I don't have.

But at 75% off it's $2. Sold.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

I just had my butt handed to me by Sparta as Epirus.

As Armenia I was on the edge but managed to expand/lose/gain provinces. It was edge-of-your-seat drama.

As Epirus, I was seduced into believing I could easily take Athens. I finally beat them and dismissed a bunch of mercs. Whereupon Sparta promptly pounced. I don't think they could have taken Athens from me if I'd kept some or all of the mercs...but you have to balance on bankruptcy in order to get Athens.

I'd say they are almost equally difficult, but for different reasons. However, I squeaked by with a win in Armenia - I think I may have to restart Epirus. So maybe the edge goes to Epirus as slightly harder than Armenia. Maybe.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on September 26, 2014, 03:33:32 PM
I just had my butt handed to me by Sparta as Epirus.


Epirus always gets dogpiled from the beginning. 

If they AI plays them, they're usually toast in record time.  I've seen craziness like them buckling in 7 turns from the beginning.  Sparta and Athens usually come after them in short order and then the Romans, Illyrians, and Macedonians jump in when they smell blood too.  Brutal.

I'd think that CA would've done a little rebalancing with their starting situation but it's not been touched AFAIK.

Gusington

Anyone win with Epirus?

LB you're 100+turns in or more with Armenia right? What are Armenia's victory conditions?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

I've read elsewhere that you won't actually be able to play as atilla and his armies

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2014, 05:59:10 PM
Anyone win with Epirus?

LB you're 100+turns in or more with Armenia right? What are Armenia's victory conditions?

Not sure. I'd rather play not knowing them.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2014, 05:59:10 PM
Anyone win with Epirus?

Getting my head handed to me so far. But I'll find a way. I think it may require a similar strategy to Armenia.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Probably turtling for as long as you can and finding your weakest enemy. What else could it be?

I read that Attila will also not be playable but I can't see how that will be allowed to happen...how do you name a game after a historical figure and not have him playable?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

#56
Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2014, 06:24:36 PM
Probably turtling for as long as you can and finding your weakest enemy. What else could it be?

I read that Attila will also not be playable but I can't see how that will be allowed to happen...how do you name a game after a historical figure and not have him playable?

Because game starts at 395 and he reigned from 453 to 434?

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2014, 06:24:36 PM
Probably turtling for as long as you can and finding your weakest enemy. What else could it be?

Making an alliance with Macedonia. I wanted to avoid that as they own the third of three cities that would unify my province. However, so far I've had no luck rebuffing them. So it's time to try that tack and see how it goes. Eventually I'll have to conquer them - and I dislike the underhanded tactic. But it seems to be the way the game is pointing.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Jomni - what?

Do you mean 434 - 453? There would definitely be enough turns to cover that either way.

TW games encourage the skullduggery, LB. Embrace your inner backstabber!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2014, 08:03:57 PM
LB. Embrace your inner backstabber!

I'm not naturally that way. My wife tells me I'm too honest. She's probably right.

Anyway, one of the other keys is to bide your time. I started another game and yet again started a battle with Athens and Sparta when I should have not. Then I tried to fight it manually (something I almost never do) and made a complete mess of it. However, I think I'm getting a strategy in place that, with patience, will work.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.