Blue Angels from the front yard!

Started by Toonces, September 27, 2014, 11:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

The last couple of days the Blue Angels have been practicing for their air show right over my house.  Today was the first show....we're going to the show tomorrow (Sunday).

But the flight path for many of the maneuvers took them right over our roof.  Way awesome!























"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Gives me the chills every time.  Fantastic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


bbmike

I grew up in Pensacola and when we would go the beach you see them practice sometimes. Awesome stuff!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Quote from: bbmike on September 28, 2014, 07:50:42 AM
I grew up in Pensacola and when we would go the beach you see them practice sometimes. Awesome stuff!

My folks winter slightly north of Key West and they have sometimes seen the Angels practicing down there as well, presumably out of Boca Chica.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

Quote from: mirth on September 28, 2014, 10:12:21 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 28, 2014, 09:12:25 AM
that's pretty damn cool

+1 Nothing like your own personal airshow.

I know, RIGHT? My daughter and I saw them at Offutt AFB this summer. That and the F-22 demo team made my day.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Toonces

#8
Alright so we went to the airshow at Hickam yesterday and saw the Blues up close.  My wife bought us box seats and we were, literally, front row about 50 yards from Blue Angel #6.  You want to talk about totally freaking epic!  They taxied right past us and when they turned onto the taxiway the exhaust was blowing right on us...that close!

My favorite part was the very beginning.  They all get in their cockpits, snap the canopies down in unison and then Ted Nugent's Stranglehold comes on just blasting through the loudspeakers and then they kick on their jet engines...it was just completely visceral.  I thought my wife got video of it, but sadly she didn't which bums me out.  Worst airshow ever, but the Blue Angels were epic.











"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

its a sad thing to acknowledge that air shows across the board have been getting worse and worse over the last decade.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Toonces


I haven't been to that many as an adult, but when I think of them as a kid I remember there being lots of airplanes to walk around and see, and it was pretty much non-stop flying the whole show.

The Kaneohe airshow 3 years ago was ok.  But this one on Hickam was horrible.  First, it occurs to me that you can't exactly fly out a WW2 fighter from the mainland to Hawaii, so whatever you have on island is pretty much it for vintage birds.  Then, it turns out that Hickam has to "buy" blocks of time from the FAA to fly during the show because they have to restrict all civilian traffic while someone is flying.  I was wondering how they sorted that out.  So the flying portion consisted of, literally, an F-22 demo (very cool), a C-17 demo that did about 3 passes over the field (lame), and the Blues (fucking epic).  The show started at 10am and went until 5pm so you can do the math...there was a lot of downtime. 

The static displays were an F-22, Hunter (they use them for OPFOR out here), an old Aggressor A-4E (cool), B-52 (cool), P-3 (lame), C-17, KC-135, Grand Caravan, C-130, one old Cessna-looking plane, CH-53, CH-47, Huey...that was about it.  I seem to remember spending hours looking at all of the planes.  And where the hell were the F-16s?  F-15s?  Hell, I've seen more planes flying around surfing off the end of the runway than I did at that airshow!

/rant off.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

I vividly remember the days of B-1, B-52 and virtually everything operational doing flight demos.  I almost got in a car wreck watching a B-1 turning and burning over I-95 on the way to Opalocka for the annual show.  motherfucker was about 500 feet in a 90 degree bank and just had me fixated on it.  today I might as wells stay home and watch a decade old episode of Top Gear and browse Gus porn.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

and I still have all the patches I got from talking to flight crews.  8)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 29, 2014, 11:13:39 PM
and I still have all the patches I got from talking to flight crews.  8)

Sweet!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DoctorQuest

The Offutt AFB show is still pretty good. Here is the link to the website for this summer's show.

http://offuttairshow.com/

I can understand the logistics at Hickam must be a nightmare. Offutt always seems to have a very good static display and quite a number of the planes are open for "tours" by the public.

Offutt just started a "VIP" seating thing this year (I guess the same as your box seats). I did not take advantage of it this year but it is tempting.....
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.