Sid Meyer's Beyond Earth...is no-one playing?

Started by JudgeDredd, October 21, 2014, 01:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

mikeck

Quote from: W8taminute on November 26, 2014, 09:59:32 PM
^I saw that today.  Angry Joe's take on the game convinced me to pass on this though.  I'm thinking of getting GalCiv III since it too is on sale in Steam.   :)

Why don't you try the demo? Who gives a @&&! What angry Joe says?
I think it gives you 100 turns or something. If you liked Civ 5, you will like this
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

100 turns sounds like a lot, but it actually wasn't. Was it enough to see the game mechanics? Barely. But - it did leave me with the impression that I would want this one.

So I'm just waiting on a sale.
Alba gu' brath

W8taminute

Quote from: mikeck on December 08, 2014, 03:07:33 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on November 26, 2014, 09:59:32 PM
^I saw that today.  Angry Joe's take on the game convinced me to pass on this though.  I'm thinking of getting GalCiv III since it too is on sale in Steam.   :)

Why don't you try the demo? Who gives a @&&! What angry Joe says?
I think it gives you 100 turns or something. If you liked Civ 5, you will like this

I did like Civ 5 and from the 100 turn demo I get the impression that this game is Civ 5 in space.  I'm waiting for a sale as well before picking this one up.  I'm thinking under $10 and we have a sale.  The game just appears to be too much like Civ 5 only with different skins and names in the civilopedia.  I could be wrong but that's what I perceive the game to be. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Barthheart

Beyond Earth is to Civ V what Colonization was to Civ IV. Same look but different play style required to win.

bbmike

Quote from: Barthheart on December 08, 2014, 06:31:47 PM
Beyond Earth is to Civ V what Colonization was to Civ IV. Same look but different play style required to win.

Exactly. They are squeezing a little more life out of the Civ5 engine. Hopefully now they will start on a brand new Civilization VI.  :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

Quote from: Barthheart on December 08, 2014, 06:31:47 PM

Probably accurate. I like Civ 5 in space though so I dig it. Certainly nothing revolutionary and it is everything you would think it would be...nothing more or less.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

bbmike

Just saw this article link posted at Civfanatics. I hope to see "2.0" soon!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

W8taminute

They should have designed Beyond Earth to be SMAC 2 in the first place, not a continuation of CiV but set in space.   From the article:

QuoteA Miller explained, they knew it would be compared directly to its predecessor, a reality both understandable and somewhat unfair. They were making a Civ game, but it was an oddball. Their approach during development tried to walk the line between the familiar and the new. So when creating new systems and designing others around well-established Civilization concepts, they relied heavily on their quality assurance team and some dedicated fans who got early code. They tested it. The developers made changes. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Then why did you just make a recycled CiV when we really wanted a recycled SMAC? 

The article doesn't really go into much detail on just what exactly they have planned for 2.0.  Guess we just wait and see...

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

Bring back stacking and I might start buying Civ games again. Until then, Civ 4 is still the cream of the crop for me. And a fine game it is, with some of the great mods.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Barthheart

Quote from: solops on March 14, 2015, 10:01:15 AM
Bring back stacking and I might start buying Civ games again. Until then, Civ 4 is still the cream of the crop for me. And a fine game it is, with some of the great mods.

Ha! Stacking is one of the main reasons I can't go back to Civ IV after playing CiV. I love the single unit per hex and the fact that it is hexes not squares.
The mods for CiV are just amazing.

Good thing there lots of games so everyone can find their fun.

MetalDog

I'm with solops on stacking.  The fact that V doesn't do it is the main reason I don't play V.  However, Warlock is single unit hexes and I have over 500 hours on that.  Go figure.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Going from IV's massive stacks to V's single units took a lot to wrap my mind around. But now that I'm in 500+ hours with Civ V, I can't imagine having stackable units, now.

mikeck

I'm not trying to be a smart -arse but what is the big deal with unit stacking? Why would eliminating the ability to put more than one unit in a hex prevent you from playing the game?

Steelgrave

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 14, 2015, 02:17:36 PM
Going from IV's massive stacks to V's single units took a lot to wrap my mind around. But now that I'm in 500+ hours with Civ V, I can't imagine having stackable units, now.

Agreed. The mega-stack in the old Civ games became unbeatable. While Civ IV was awesome, I find I enjoy V even more.