Combat Mission: Black Sea Article - Out by End of Year

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 25, 2014, 01:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Elvis

Quote from: bboyer66 on October 29, 2014, 09:21:02 AM
Have not bought anything from Battlefront in over two years, the last product being Combat Mission Strike Force Marines.  Was considering buying Combat Mission Normandy the other day and was so confused as to what I was supposed to buy, that I said fuck it.

Here is what I think you have to buy and do to install

CM Battle for Normandy Big Bundle  $85.00

Then you have to buy the 3.0 engine upgrade for $10.00

Then activate all those, because wargames seem to be the only games I ever have to register because of the huge number of wargaming pirates out there  :idiot2:

Finally the new vehicle pack for $20.00 in which I then have to activate everything I just activated again.

That is what it take to bring Normandy up to date ..... I think.

That is correct. I have no official (or unofficial) conversations but it wouldn't surprise me if, as with the Big Bundle, they offered a complete package that includes the 3.0 Upgrade and the Vehicle Pack. Even if that is done, there will always be Upgrades down the road. In my opinion, that is one of the biggest advantages of the new engine. Older games won't get left in the dust as the engine evolves. 

QuoteIm surprised Battlefront does not offer (for an additional fee of course) someone to come to your house and personally help people through the installation process.

Pittsburgh? Sure, but I do require beer and aPrimanti Bros. sammich and NO Steelers talk......The last one is non-negotiable. :)





RyanE

from Battlefront...

"I've seen a couple mentions of the much delayed Red Thunder patch. A quick update here, then I'll post to the Red Thunder forum. Basically, the biggest thing the patch needed to fix is the building entering problem. That took a LONG time to track down and address. Then we ran into some issues with the DRM we use. The latter also delayed the Vehicle Pack release. There was another technical problem that affected both as well. But now it looks like we're clear (enough) of the problems that the patch should be coming out very soon."

I hope it was a complete change out of the DRM system.  The system in place prior to 3.1 was making the game too much like work.

Zulu1966

Quote from: RyanE on October 29, 2014, 11:58:47 AM
from Battlefront...

"I've seen a couple mentions of the much delayed Red Thunder patch. A quick update here, then I'll post to the Red Thunder forum. Basically, the biggest thing the patch needed to fix is the building entering problem. That took a LONG time to track down and address. Then we ran into some issues with the DRM we use. The latter also delayed the Vehicle Pack release. There was another technical problem that affected both as well. But now it looks like we're clear (enough) of the problems that the patch should be coming out very soon."

I hope it was a complete change out of the DRM system.  The system in place prior to 3.1 was making the game too much like work.

I just don't get that comment. I installed the games and had to cut and paste the key into a box when I started the game. I haven't touched it apart from that ... how's that "work"
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

RyanE

I am almost positive they are going through the effort of replacing the DRM because it works perfectly.

Nefaro

Quote from: RyanE on October 29, 2014, 03:13:28 PM
I am almost positive they are going through the effort of replacing the DRM because it works perfectly.

;D


Gotta replace it with something that works equally poorly? 


BF could've also saved a lot of headaches if they would've stuck to the original modular plan.  Release expansions and just patch up the original base game to keep everything compatible.  Instead they wanted to sell core game patches and make full price on many of the expansions by creating them as standalones.  What a mess.  Again, I point to titles like Crusader Kings 2 on how to put out a series in modular/expansion format.

The annoying DRM just can't be helped if the developers have bought into the overblown piracy paranoia.  The flames of which have been fanned by the companies selling such DRM.  "The large amounts of hardcore wargame pirates are gonna take it all!  Oh my!  You need to buy our snake oil.  Who cares if it inconveniences your customers on occasion?  DOOM!!1".  It's obviously here to stay with BF, in one form or another.

Bletchley_Geek

On other news, the Churchill AVRE lives up to its reputation of unwieldy awesomeness. Britannia rocks hard when it reloads!

Cyrano

Those AVREs are seriously stupid.

I may design a scenario solely for the purpose of driving around a map with a flame-throwing tank and an AVRE to demolish French town...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bboyer66 on October 29, 2014, 09:21:02 AM
Have not bought anything from Battlefront in over two years, the last product being Combat Mission Strike Force Marines.  Was considering buying Combat Mission Normandy the other day and was so confused as to what I was supposed to buy, that I said fuck it.

Here is what I think you have to buy and do to install

CM Battle for Normandy Big Bundle  $85.00

Then you have to buy the 3.0 engine upgrade for $10.00

Then activate all those, because wargames seem to be the only games I ever have to register because of the huge number of wargaming pirates out there  :idiot2:

Finally the new vehicle pack for $20.00 in which I then have to activate everything I just activated again.

That is what it take to bring Normandy up to date ..... I think.

Im surprised Battlefront does not offer (for an additional fee of course) someone to come to your house and personally help people through the installation process.




Exactly.

I've laid off their games after Red Thunder...but all the games I bought prior to Red Thunder made me think "Huh?". Totally whack.

I don't know why it's so difficult to put out a freakin module that you install, activate and play.  :uglystupid2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Cyrano on October 29, 2014, 04:46:38 PM
I may design a scenario solely for the purpose of driving around a map with a flame-throwing tank and an AVRE to demolish French town...

I did indeed setup a very small scenario last night, and it was very fun. I might even try to push that very barebones setup into a true scenario :)

Sir Slash

One of my favorite scenarios from CM1 included the AVRE. It won the fight by itself.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

panzerde

Elvis, in case it isn't clear, thanks very much for your clear and understandable explanations of all thing CM and Battlefront. Your efforts here and elsewhere are very much appreciated.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Apocalypse 31

Im the only one that is upset that Black Sea is being peddled on the same game engine that can hardly process shadows?

Was hoping for a newer engine. Maybe one that actually had a physics model.

This is just another Shock Force mod for $60


RyanE

I don't even turn shadows on.  I am typically not into CM for the looks.