TF1942 and Across the Rhine now on Steam!

Started by steve58, November 06, 2014, 03:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

Task Force 1942

Across the Rhine

...for $5.24, may have to spring for TF1942  8)

Seems to be a few more oldies as well: Command HQ, Nam, Silent Service II


Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Barthheart

Those were both great games.....TF1942 was hard to win .... O0

PanzersEast

Quote from: steve58 on November 06, 2014, 03:18:29 PM
Task Force 1942

Across the Rhine

...for $5.24, may have to spring for TF1942  8)

Seems to be a few more oldies as well: Nam, Silent Service II


Good stuff... thanks for the heads up, in my cart!


PE

Shelldrake

Nice. I always hoped that these would appear on GOG with all the extra goodies the originals included.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Capn Darwin

Sweet! Loved Command HQ back in the day. Now we just need Red Storm Rising! O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Tuna


Great Ajax

Across the Rhine *sigh*  The most disappointing game of all time.

Command HQ!!!!  That will be mine tonight!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I wish they'd include the option to separate out old games.  I have no interest in nostalgia.

Grim.Reaper

even for me they look too dated....so will be passing myself....but them releasing these oldies do give some hope they might stumble on some good stuff eventually..

Greybriar

#9
Quote from: steve58 on November 06, 2014, 03:18:29 PM
Task Force 1942

Across the Rhine

...for $5.24, may have to spring for TF1942  8)

Seems to be a few more oldies as well: Command HQ, Nam, Silent Service II

Wow! Task Force 1942 was released in 1992 and Across the Rhine was released in 1995. Of them all, I think I might still play Command HQ, which was released in 1990. I would have expected GOG.com to be the primary legal source for games as old as these, but it doesn't even offer some of them for sale.

Incidentally, I own all of them with the exception of NAM, which wasn't by MicroProse and whose DOS version did not appear until 1998. My big problem with games of that vintage is that many of them that I own are on 5.25" floppies and I don't have a working computer that has that type of drive. Hence the reason why I am repurchasing many of my old DOS games.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bbmike

God how I loved Command HQ! And Global Conquest!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

It looks like whomever (Nightdive Studios? Retroism?) has recoded many of these games to work on modern OSs including OSX and Linux.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Greybriar

Quote from: bbmike on November 06, 2014, 10:29:52 PM
God how I loved Command HQ! And Global Conquest!

Yeah, I liked Global Conquest, too, but not quite as much as I liked Command HQ. They were both developed by the same company, Ozark Softscape.

I wasn't aware of the existence of those two companies, Staggerwing. Thanks for enlightening me.  O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Toonces

TF1942 sounds interesting, but I really need to hear how it holds up before I pull the trigger.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

Loved Command HQ back in the day...wow, I missed that one in the bundle they had on Steam. The graphics are heavily dated but that still brings back good memories.

Not quite sure it's worth $5.24 to me, though. $1.99 would. I dunno.