Red Thunder v1.01 patch (PC/Mac) Released

Started by Boggit, November 13, 2014, 01:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Elvis on November 14, 2014, 07:10:30 AM
In what way is it broken? What exactly is it doing or not doing? Are you getting any error messages?  If so, what is the exact wording of the message?

Yes. I am getting an error message when I run the exe. The error message is pretty ambiguous. I will have to run it again to see exactly what it says. I'll post that info. In a few minutes.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Elvis

Jar, any chance that you use Webroot? Here is a link to our Knowledgebase article about that error code:

http://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/help/article/127869

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Elvis on November 14, 2014, 09:08:47 AM
Jar, any chance that you use Webroot? Here is a link to our Knowledgebase article about that error code:

http://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/help/article/127869

I do have webroot. However, the problem did not start until I applied the patch. I can still run the unpatched version fine. Any ETA on a fix?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Jarhead0331

By playing with the webroot options, I see it is the Realtime Shield that causes the error. I can leave firewall and web shield protection on. Not sure how risky it is to turn off the Realtime Shield.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Elvis

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 14, 2014, 09:18:03 AM
Quote from: Elvis on November 14, 2014, 09:08:47 AM
Jar, any chance that you use Webroot? Here is a link to our Knowledgebase article about that error code:

http://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/help/article/127869

I do have webroot. However, the problem did not start until I applied the patch. I can still run the unpatched version fine. Any ETA on a fix?

It's unlikely a fix will come from us. Dropping a note to Webroot wouldn't hurt. We've already contacted them.


Tuna

This is when the DRM is BS.. when you're doing crap on the system, that ticks off AV.. the usual "Turn off the AV" or "don't use that AV", is kind of BS.. The AV is there to protect us, and if the DRM is crossing the line to set it off, then it is too much and should be backed off. And saying it's not BF's fault is BS as well.. if you're gonna do this crap, at least get approval from all the AV companies.. and if you can't.. then don't go in that direction with your frigging DRM!!!!

Go to frigging Steam, make all our lives easier!

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 14, 2014, 01:25:20 AM

Mate - Norton has been giving falsies for years. It's bloody good at keeping things out - because it keeps everything out.

You seriously need to get shot of it. It's malware all on it's own.

I've had Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall, disabled UAC on Windows (pita) and the free edition of Malwarebytes for several years now and I have not had one single virus. I have had a couple of low level malware instances...but several years and nothing drastic - and I've not had to pay for any 3rd party software OR use that nonsense Norton.

I'm not just spit balling here...Norton caused me no end of problems when I did have it (got it free with a PC years ago) and removed it - and that in itself was a task!!

Every time I see someone mention their problems with games or patches and they've got Norton - I just gotta rant.

Sorry  ;)

I've also been recommending people ditch Norton for years, but only a small portion of them listen. 

I think many are motivated to continue using it just because they paid for it, even though there are better Free AVs out there that work as well or better without so much hassle.

JudgeDredd

#23
Quote from: Tuna on November 14, 2014, 09:49:37 AM
This is when the DRM is BS.. when you're doing crap on the system, that ticks off AV.. the usual "Turn off the AV" or "don't use that AV", is kind of BS.. The AV is there to protect us, and if the DRM is crossing the line to set it off, then it is too much and should be backed off. And saying it's not BF's fault is BS as well.. if you're gonna do this crap, at least get approval from all the AV companies.. and if you can't.. then don't go in that direction with your frigging DRM!!!!

Go to frigging Steam, make all our lives easier!
+1

Protection of your (any company) software is one thing. Giving genuine purchasers hoops to jump through is just totally unacceptable.

If a customer can't fire up your software because of the DRM you use having an issue with some security software, then it's a bad implementation of your DRM and it should be fixed/changed/ditched. Under no circumstances is it ok for a company's DRM to cause an issue with security software and for that company to turn round and say "Have a word with that company...it's not our fault".

I heard that you have contacted them also Elvis and I'm not only specifically talking about BF here either. In general, the above should not happen.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Ubercat

If these complaints were posted in the BF forum, I wonder how many warnings/bans would have occurred by now?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on November 14, 2014, 10:12:24 AM
If these complaints were posted in the BF forum, I wonder how many warnings/bans would have occurred by now?

That is why I posted the issue here. Thanks to Elvis, though, for at least pointing me in the right direction as to the cause of the issue.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Elvis

Quote from: Ubercat on November 14, 2014, 10:12:24 AM
If these complaints were posted in the BF forum, I wonder how many warnings/bans would have occurred by now?


I would guess it would be the same number as Blutarsky's GPA



Where warning and bannings come into play isn't the content of what someones says, it's how they say. Which is no different than any forum. If you make a clearly written and rational post, you will be treated in kind. Goo in guns a'blazin, you'll also be treated in kind. No different than here or anywhere else.

Jarhead0331

^Nah...you can pretty much get away with anything here.  :2funny:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Sir Slash

I always hold off on anything new from Battlefront just because of the problems that always seem to pop-up at posting. I just got Market-Garden yesterday for this very reason, and because I'm damned cheap. Is AVG still what most people use? That's what I've got but if there's something better please let me know.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

You know I was going through all my Battlefront games and checking them on the BF site to make sure I had the latest versions of the ones I had and I suddenly realised I had Market Garden.

You have an illness as a wargamer when you have games you didn't know you had!  :-\
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people