Steam Exploration Sale...

Started by steve58, November 24, 2014, 02:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Steam's site is experiencing heavy load issues now.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Arctic Blast

Ooooo...Flashpoint Campaigns : Red Storm is 80% off!

republic

I'm thinking of picking up DCS Mig-21, Desktop Dungeons, and Unity of Command Trilogy.  I have about $60 in store credit.  Anyone have any thoughts on these three?  I know Unity of Command is widely praised and I'm mildly embarrassed at only now picking it up.

Philippe

I think the Unity of Command bundle is going for about $8 on Steam.

The game itself is brilliant, the AI will keep you on your toes (and that's very unusual), and there are quite a few interesting scenarios that can be downloaded to supplement (and in a few cases improve) on the scenarios that come with the game.  The gestalt may be a little different from what your used to, so I would suggest just going with it for a while before you start messing around with multi-player or custom scenarios (some of which are very good, some of which aren't, and if you pay attention to who designed them you can figure out which custom scenarios you shouldn't ignore).

For anything under twenty bucks this is a no-brainer.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

smittyohio

Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 26, 2014, 02:01:48 PM
Ooooo...Flashpoint Campaigns : Red Storm is 80% off!

Wow... I couldn't resist at that price. 

SirAndrewD

Arma 3 is 35% off.  I've been waiting for a sale to get that.  Hasn't it been lower before though?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 26, 2014, 04:41:56 PM
Arma 3 is 35% off.  I've been waiting for a sale to get that.  Hasn't it been lower before though?

According to the www.isthereanydeal.com site which tracks price history and the lowest prices for games, lowest price has been $29......I believe when it was early access, I picked up for $32.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 04:44:48 PM

According to the www.isthereanydeal.com site which tracks price history and the lowest prices for games, lowest price has been $29......I believe when it was early access, I picked up for $32.

Fantastic, thanks.  I think I may give it a go at $38.  Of course, if I do that, you know it'll drop to something ridiculous around Christmas. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 26, 2014, 05:00:40 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2014, 04:44:48 PM

Fantastic, thanks.  I think I may give it a go at $38.  Of course, if I do that, you know it'll drop to something ridiculous around Christmas.

Always a possibility:)

Gusington

Ryse: Son of Rome for 29.99. 25% off but somehow not quite low enough for me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Great sales today...but I own most of the ones I'd be interested in.

MengJiao

Quote from: republic on November 26, 2014, 03:18:41 PM
I'm thinking of picking up DCS Mig-21, Desktop Dungeons, and Unity of Command Trilogy.  I have about $60 in store credit.  Anyone have any thoughts on these three?  I know Unity of Command is widely praised and I'm mildly embarrassed at only now picking it up.

If I got to do all my purchases over, I would buy MiG-21 at any reasonable price (even the 49.99 or whatever I paid) and not buy Unity of Command even if I were paid to do it.  Ultimately its a very unsatisfying game, while MiG21 is weirdly wonderful.

republic

Quote from: MengJiao on November 28, 2014, 09:37:38 AM
   If I got to do all my purchases over, I would buy MiG-21 at any reasonable price (even the 49.99 or whatever I paid) and not buy Unity of Command even if I were paid to do it.  Ultimately its a very unsatisfying game, while MiG21 is weirdly wonderful.

I ended up getting MiG-21 and have been having a blast with it.  It feels like the most realistic aircraft I've ever flown.  Blew a tire on takeoff because I waited too long to rotate, then had a flameout on climb I'm guessing because I was too aggressive on the throttle.  I can't wait to learn the systems so I can do some high speed ground attacks on a multiplayer server.

I haven't played Unity of Command much, it seems like it'll be fun.

Also picked up Desktop Dungeons its a good game to play while I'm waiting on something.

Risk of Rain seemed too cheap to pass up.

Warlock 2 at Greenman is very tempting, but Cheapshark tells me I might get the Great Mage Edition even cheaper during a Christmas sale.