Hexwarrior Update Thread

Started by gameleaper, December 02, 2014, 07:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gameleaper

bbmike is doing a module and requested I setup an update thread for us, so here it is, blank for now

http://www.indiedb.com/games/hexwarrior its not on indie yet, get it direct

some people may prefer a direct download link https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4wnceejxid61lv/Hexwarrior591D.zip?dl=0







gameleaper

Would it be ok to give an advertisement and credits to some users of grogheads in the game ?

gameleaper

#2
new version https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

Now has missiles button, Map button, scrolls faster, missiles are now per unit rather than a pool.

bbmike I made the cursor keys scroll quicker per press, so you can move around the Map fast, but its not contious movement because I want the program to run on slow old PCs aswell as new ones in 5 years and putting something that is a variable speed can make the game unplayable in the future technology, remember old games run on new PCs that scroll to quick. But I will keep thinking on it, although you may like it now I do?

bbmike

Gamerleaper, I started to create a small module and wanted to suggest a couple more things. I can't remember if your other modules showed a graphic popup when hovering over the lower, left unit icon but I think it would be better to just show information and no graphics. In this case I have changed the unit chit appearance but the ship graphics in the popup does not match:


Also, your map is made up of hexes but the unit only rotates four of the faces and not six.
I also noticed that when you exit edit mode 'E' whatever you have selected to place on the map (at the cursor) does not disappear. I can press 'spacebar' to make it go away but it gets annoying after a while.  :)

That's it for now, I will continue slowly (as I'm distracted by zombie games recently!) to finish a working module. I might either finish a proper Star Fleet Battles one or create an Age of Rifles type one (so the Star Trek people won't sue me).  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

#4
Quote from: bbmike on December 04, 2014, 06:27:57 AM
Gamerleaper, I started to create a small module and wanted to suggest a couple more things. I can't remember if your other modules showed a graphic popup when hovering over the lower, left unit icon but I think it would be better to just show information and no graphics. In this case I have changed the unit chit appearance but the ship graphics in the popup does not match:


Also, your map is made up of hexes but the unit only rotates four of the faces and not six.
I also noticed that when you exit edit mode 'E' whatever you have selected to place on the map (at the cursor) does not disappear. I can press 'spacebar' to make it go away but it gets annoying after a while.  :)

That's it for now, I will continue slowly (as I'm distracted by zombie games recently!) to finish a working module. I might either finish a proper Star Fleet Battles one or create an Age of Rifles type one (so the Star Trek people won't sue me).  8)

The graphic popup has to be drawn there is one for each type of unit, its in the grafix folder called shields.png there is a 100 200x200 pixel images for placing a big display , just like SFB. the units all have to face right in the chits png files , except the big graphic tile faces up. you have the 55x55pixel chit faceing up should be right(but there all square so rotateing your chit in paint is easy, select each chit and rotate 90degrees) see how the chit on the hexgrid is same as the big display. if you look at my chits in the sample module you will see. I definitely like the big graphic I did a lot to get it in there, it is a close as the game allows for SFB SSD I think you call it.

the attacker attacks the correct side from the angle of shot, everything is calculated from four sides, six would mean starting over, I should of planned from the start, but Ive adapted the program from a single faceing game, sorry but it will always be four. Its as near as I can get it to six sides with what I had.

the unit you select is correctly dropped with spacebar, this is so when placing units you don't need to keep reselecting the same unit , you can just place all the same type of unit. did you use copy&paste you can setup a module in seconds.  module design isn't what most people would do bb, your in unchartered territory

I cant make a reproduction of SFB with what I had, but its of the type with elements of SFB, or star trek would photon me, we can do our own game with SFB type gameplay and sort of similar chits, but NOT star trek in any way, Or I could not pass it on either bb

bb you've done more than I could ask, do when ever you feel like it, I think you now know what your doing. also chit one not zero so the second chit is a leader(HQ, Flagship) and the last chit is the enemies flagship, all other unit get orders by being close to flagships , Leaders, HQs

sorry the chit on the dash at bottom never rotates, I remember now, its not supposed to, just  face it right.

PS: I know we cant use those chits, but they look good :)

gameleaper

#5
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

New version rockets now fire in the direction the ship is faceing, I fixed the counter on the bottom of screen that bbmike wanted to rotate thx, Ive added nice rocket graphics, Ive added grogheads and blitz logo, Ive thanked bbmike and GJK but there are more I need to add next update

gameleaper

#6
Ive done a massive Rorke's Drift Module, you can throw and aim spears, 100s of units, big 15,000 hex Map(150x106 hexes) the great little thing is the spears, because I created Missiles I can use spears. I also Improved the jump Map to include Map detail better to see now
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

gameleaper

#7
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

sorry quick bug fix done

throwing spears is great grab it

gameleaper

#8
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

forgot something , right that's all done

Rorkes Drift works with the Heroes Feature (Heroes can be thought of as receiving the Victoria Cross, they get a good bonus to the scoreboard) and Missiles work great for spears, remember your spear just has to be next to a unit at the end of a turn to hurt it.

magnus

 I really like some of your games, but I don't believe the Zulus used their spears as missile weapons.

Their assegais were shorter and more polearm like than their original spears.

They might have also carried traditional spears for throwing , but I haven't come across that in my reading.

gameleaper

Hi magnus, I based my Zulu spear throwing on 'Shaka Zulu' TV mini series where while he was training under another Leader the tribes faced off at one another throwing spears, but now you have said it I realise they used them like big knives . I will have to put a note on the module not to use missile weapons. I should of known thx but the Spears will work on other modules :) I got carried away with the new feature missiles .

gameleaper

magnus may I ask if you know if the british colonial faced off against spear warriors earlier than the drift? I know you may have not looked at this , just a passing note to myself ? 

magnus

 Their were a bunch of wars in South Africa between the British and the different tribes. They are not well known at all. The only times I have seen them written about  they are called the " Kaffir " wars.

The word " kaffir " is a derogatory Arab term for the natives, used by the Boers and Brits. It is used much like another word in English. I only use it because the few references to those wars use it.

I have read mostly about the Zulu history and the other wars show up occasionally in those books.

magnus

 The one war that has been written about a lot is the two campaigns down the Nile into Sudan, in the late 19th century.

One big battle was Omdurman.

The Sudanese definitely used throwing spears. They are credited with breaking a British square in the earlier campaign to relieve Gordon in Khartoum.

If you look up the " Mahdi " you will see many references to these battles and campaigns.

gameleaper

That's great magnus , I can look at the battles and try to make a module, its very interesting thankyou.