Hexwarrior Update Thread

Started by gameleaper, December 02, 2014, 07:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gameleaper

I have fixed a scoreboard bug, you get bugs when you drastically change the code, Ive gone from a single screen map to a 10 times bigger map, so totally scores changed.

The big change is I added a solo solitaire version.

I updated the module, thanks to magnus the the correction

its not yet on indie db but here is the direct link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

gameleaper

Ive done lots and lots, first I have made the  both Full A.I. and Solo versions use flanking and rear bonus on a hit. fixed a few little niggles, the A.I. now will try to avoid showing his flank, but not so much that you can never get a chance its balanced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

gameleaper

all links updated, its not on indiedb yet so here is the direct link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

Im confident that's the final compile, just graphics to do. I made the A.I. better at faceing the enemy

gameleaper

Ok last update an escape key out of the A.I. turn was requested, I thought you guys may want this too, here is the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

error please wait for new update

spelk

As far as I know the iklwa (or assegai) was mainly used as a short thrusting weapon. It's elongated leaf blade made for tearing open flesh and making big wounds. I don't think it was thrown, although the Zulus did have traditional throwing spears as well. To soften up an enemy from distance, before closing in and raking them with the iklwa. They most certainly used the iklwa to open up the bellies of the British soldiers at Isandlwana, in a "washing of the spears" in their enemies blood.

You can get some information for the Royal Welsh museum where a lot of the artifacts from Rorke's Drift are held. Including the flag that was recovered from the outpost.

Check out the Timeline and specifically the Anglo-Zulu Wars 1879.
http://royalwelsh.org.uk/regiment/history-regiment-timeline.htm

If you want to gently wander through an immense amount of information detailing the AZW then I can heartily recommend this community forum

http://www.1879zuluwar.com/f6-general-discussion-area

Obviously Isandlwana was the big battle during the AZW, being a massive embarrassing British defeat. They lost 2000+ men at the foot of the Sphinx shaped mountain. They were unprepared for a defense against the sort of numbers of Zulus that were on their way. After the massacre, some Zulu tribes went on to Rorkes Drift, which whilst being a small outpost was hurriedly set up for a rugged defense. I think the one fact that kept the Drift from becoming another massacre was that the hosptial roof was set on fire, and kept the area well lit, so the British troops could still use their Martini Henry rifles at a frightening pace even during the night. If that hadn't happened, they would have almost certainly been overwhelmed easily in the pitch dark.

Isandlwana would be a very interesting defensive based game to play, however the odds are well against the British.

gameleaper

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

all fixed, now the faceing works, if you receive a successful attack you will also lose points if your unit isn't faceing the enemy

Hi spelk thanks for that info I will have a look, I am a little bit interested about the british colonial wars. and making games about them can be interesting too.


gameleaper

Quote from: spelk on December 08, 2014, 05:32:48 AM
As far as I know the iklwa (or assegai) was mainly used as a short thrusting weapon. It's elongated leaf blade made for tearing open flesh and making big wounds. I don't think it was thrown, although the Zulus did have traditional throwing spears as well. To soften up an enemy from distance, before closing in and raking them with the iklwa. They most certainly used the iklwa to open up the bellies of the British soldiers at Isandlwana, in a "washing of the spears" in their enemies blood.

You can get some information for the Royal Welsh museum where a lot of the artifacts from Rorke's Drift are held. Including the flag that was recovered from the outpost.

Check out the Timeline and specifically the Anglo-Zulu Wars 1879.
http://royalwelsh.org.uk/regiment/history-regiment-timeline.htm

If you want to gently wander through an immense amount of information detailing the AZW then I can heartily recommend this community forum

http://www.1879zuluwar.com/f6-general-discussion-area

Obviously Isandlwana was the big battle during the AZW, being a massive embarrassing British defeat. They lost 2000+ men at the foot of the Sphinx shaped mountain. They were unprepared for a defense against the sort of numbers of Zulus that were on their way. After the massacre, some Zulu tribes went on to Rorkes Drift, which whilst being a small outpost was hurriedly set up for a rugged defense. I think the one fact that kept the Drift from becoming another massacre was that the hosptial roof was set on fire, and kept the area well lit, so the British troops could still use their Martini Henry rifles at a frightening pace even during the night. If that hadn't happened, they would have almost certainly been overwhelmed easily in the pitch dark.

Isandlwana would be a very interesting defensive based game to play, however the odds are well against the British.

spelk they are great sits thanks.

spelk

Quote from: gameleaper on December 09, 2014, 05:38:49 AM
spelk they are great sits thanks.

No worries..

As a bit of a taster, here's the actual Victory Crosses awarded to the men of the 2nd Warwickshire of Foot who held the line at Rorke's Drift. (Center is Bromhead, who was played by Michael Caine in the 60's movie Zulu).



Also, here's the actual flag from the Drift.



Apologies for the quality of the images..

gameleaper

#23
thanks spelk I think I've found an interest in the colonial wars. I have regged at the forum, just waiting for activation. The Pictures are good you posted above. I think Im going to watch "Zulu" tonight :)

Ive updated My game will many many things   https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

6 Mapping Tiler Keys added, so you can create a quick basic map to work with. I found a bug that was realy needed to be fixed, so I worked hard and found the issue. I added a Texan Skirmish Module. I can safely say its finished, just content to do now

I need to let you know the right hand edge of the flags in the texam module is the front face , I forgot to add the note in the module

spelk

Quote from: gameleaper on December 09, 2014, 12:03:47 PM
thanks spelk I think I've found an interest in the colonial wars. I have regged at the forum, just waiting for activation. The Pictures are good you posted above. I think Im going to watch "Zulu" tonight :)

There is another set of forums that cover the whole spectrum of Victorian Wars, thats also worth a look-see, if you're interested...

http://www.victorianwars.com/

Also, I did a rough and ready mod for the original Advanced Tactics game, that was called Invasion of Zululand. You're welcome to use the art for the chits or anything else there - it can be downloaded from

http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=134&tpage=0&tplayer=1983&ttag=0&tai=0&tdeleted=0&tengine=0

Although I think you have to register/login to download from there.

I've stuck it up on my dropbox if you want to download it from there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq9poyi6hgpnjhs/zululandv0.5.zip?dl=0

Its about 5Mb in size.

gameleaper

Quote from: spelk on December 09, 2014, 01:15:08 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on December 09, 2014, 12:03:47 PM
thanks spelk I think I've found an interest in the colonial wars. I have regged at the forum, just waiting for activation. The Pictures are good you posted above. I think Im going to watch "Zulu" tonight :)

There is another set of forums that cover the whole spectrum of Victorian Wars, thats also worth a look-see, if you're interested...

http://www.victorianwars.com/

Also, I did a rough and ready mod for the original Advanced Tactics game, that was called Invasion of Zululand. You're welcome to use the art for the chits or anything else there - it can be downloaded from

http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=134&tpage=0&tplayer=1983&ttag=0&tai=0&tdeleted=0&tengine=0

Although I think you have to register/login to download from there.

I've stuck it up on my dropbox if you want to download it from there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq9poyi6hgpnjhs/zululandv0.5.zip?dl=0

Its about 5Mb in size.

that's very kind of you spelk , I just downloaded it. Ill rummage through it now thanks

gameleaper

#26
Quote from: spelk on December 09, 2014, 01:15:08 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on December 09, 2014, 12:03:47 PM
thanks spelk I think I've found an interest in the colonial wars. I have regged at the forum, just waiting for activation. The Pictures are good you posted above. I think Im going to watch "Zulu" tonight :)

There is another set of forums that cover the whole spectrum of Victorian Wars, thats also worth a look-see, if you're interested...

http://www.victorianwars.com/

Also, I did a rough and ready mod for the original Advanced Tactics game, that was called Invasion of Zululand. You're welcome to use the art for the chits or anything else there - it can be downloaded from

http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=134&tpage=0&tplayer=1983&ttag=0&tai=0&tdeleted=0&tengine=0

Although I think you have to register/login to download from there.

I've stuck it up on my dropbox if you want to download it from there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dq9poyi6hgpnjhs/zululandv0.5.zip?dl=0

Its about 5Mb in size.

That was great fun Spelk, your mod was a lot bigger in scale than I needed, so I did a whatif scenario based on some of the units , I only did it in a short time, because Im updateing the program as I find new requirements, I found I need a directional arrow for a facing indicator that I have now done. I have Advanced Tactics so I was very happy I could load it, I will play in AT aswell. I hope Spelk you will give my module a look?

I have updated hexwarrior, and added new modules https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

gameleaper

#27
Hexwarrior Made it onto the great wargame site Web-Grognards http://grognard.com/freecompgames/Hexwarrior591.zip  its veted and tested for viruses etc.. before grognard.com put it online, so now download with confidence , its in the latest update at grognard.com . Ive also made a new version where faceing can be switched on off, https://www.dropbox.com/s/gteq6oei2gvl6kg/Hexwarrior591.zip?dl=0

Spelk I made some units fixed in My module based on your mod, and I gave dome no attack , this is a defensive line and a harass unit. My game has daceing so it needed to be close and tactical, but now I think I will add the option to turn facing off for strategical games.
thank Spelk I learned a lot. 

I will let you in on a tip, if you want the turns to be quick, go into the editor and bulldoze the victory flags, turns run about 10 times faster, but as a Sim Id leave them in.

gameleaper

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4wnceejxid61lv/Hexwarrior591D.zip?dl=0

Ive added an ACW skirmish across a river with 3 bridges


gameleaper

I can state the ACW module is really good, I urge you to give this free game a try for xmas

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4wnceejxid61lv/Hexwarrior591D.zip?dl=0