Running Windows 95 Games

Started by Skwerl, December 13, 2014, 04:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Skwerl

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of DosBox for running Windows 95 games on a modern system?  I have some older games that run fine (I'm using Vista) but several others will not, no matter how much I tinker with the compatibility settings.

Staggerwing

I could be wrong, but doesn't D-Fend (an interface program for DOSbox) also have some Win95 tweeks?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

Have you tried poking around at http://www.vogons.org/ ?

I thought someone over there mentioned installing win95 under dosbox......

I still run a bunch of Windows 98 games under Virtual PC 2007. Works great. VPC2007 will bitch about "unsupported OS" when you try to install it under Win 7 but click OK and it will install and run just fine.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bbmike

This Digiex post worked for me a while back. Haven't tried it under Windows 8.1 though.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

endfire79

Hi, what game/s in particular btw?

Alternatively, you can also find an image of Windows 95 out there and then use a Virtual Machine application to run Windows 95 on your own computer.  Examples are Oracle's Virtual Box, or VMWare's  VMPlayer (both have free versions).

If possible, a WinXP image might be better, or Win 98SE.  I  :(too much .dLL hell back in the days of Windows 95
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

Skwerl

Thanks for the help.  I'll try a couple of those solutions this afternoon. O0