Sentinels Of The Multiverse

Started by Nefaro, December 22, 2014, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on December 22, 2014, 06:11:14 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 22, 2014, 05:46:10 PM
Thanks for all the impressions...not sure I completely grasp how this plays yet, but will keep watching it.  Since nothing real exciting in the holiday sales, might be a nice change of pace.

The basics are pretty simple.

The Villain goes first, playing his top card off his deck along with any extra stuff listed on his in-play cards.  The game mechanics & cards run him against you.

Next each of your heroes go in turn order.  They will be able to play one card from their hand and then activate the ability on one of their cards in play.  Simple turn order mechanics but each character's deck has many different cards and different styles derived from them.  This is where you'll be making lots of decisions on what to do.

At the end of the round, the Environment deck plays the top card of it's deck and does it's in-play stuff.  These are often detrimental but sometimes you can manipulate something in the game state in order to twist it to an advantage and use it against the bad guys.

And that's it.  I simplified the turn order, because each player/villain/environment also has a Beginning/End-of-Turn phase on each side of their draw & play actions but you get the point.  The cards read very much like CCGs, so expect to do a lot of reading about how each one changes the rules or adds an extra ability to it's owner.  The complexity is in the large variety of such card interactions each turn and how to best play your limited actions to good effect.

Does sounds interesting...will certainly be keeping an eye on this once...thanks for taking the time to explain things.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 22, 2014, 06:41:01 PM

Does sounds interesting...will certainly be keeping an eye on this once...thanks for taking the time to explain things.

I know there are YouTube gameplay vids of the tabletop version of Sentinels of the Multiverse if you want a better impression.

There is also a new hex-based tactical game based on the same IP, called Sentinel Tactics, so don't get the two confused if you go looking.  I recently picked up Tactics too but haven't played it yet.

Arctic Blast

Ah, I think I might need to check this out. All the gameplay without the ridiculous overhead that killed the card game for me? Sounds like a winner.

tgb

I bit.  Sop far I've played the tutorial (and had all 3 heroes wiped out) and started a new game, but am not doing very well in that one either.  It appears that if you've never played the tabletop version, the learning curve is pretty steep.  I'll stick with it, as I can see there are some interesting tactical choices to be made.  I just wish there were varying levels of difficulty.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on December 23, 2014, 04:43:08 PM
I bit.  Sop far I've played the tutorial (and had all 3 heroes wiped out) and started a new game, but am not doing very well in that one either.  It appears that if you've never played the tabletop version, the learning curve is pretty steep.  I'll stick with it, as I can see there are some interesting tactical choices to be made.  I just wish there were varying levels of difficulty.

It can get a bit easier when you use more characters.  But will still be a challenge, I'm sure. 

The learning curve is probably due to the wide variety of cards.  Each character, villain, and environment deck his it's own unique cards so you'll be doing a lot of reading and re-reading of each card for awhile.  If you don't like interpreting CCG style card text then this probably won't be to your liking.  The turn sequence is very easy:  Play Card, Use Card Action, Draw.

It can be a pretty tough game, especially if you get hammered by some of the stronger Villain cards at just the right time, but if it were easier then I wouldn't play it as much.  I've been using four characters (the middle ground in difficulty) and winning about half the games, or maybe a bit more.  Even then I'll often slide into a win having been at well under 10 life on each character for a long time and a defeated hero or two.  Don't get disheartened when your characters are hanging in there at around 5 life, they can still last awhile once they get going.  They usually take a beating at the beginning of the game while still building up their Ongoing and Equipment cards, but at some point the tables will start turning. 

Remember to use the Undo button option at the top if you mess up.  However, you can't go back to before one of your characters die.  I recently found that out after accidentally suiciding with Absolute Zero.   :buck2:  Still.. it's worth using if you made the wrong move.

Also use the lightning button at the top left if you need to see some of the temporary effects currently in play.  One of the developers mentioned that they also plan to add some graphical indicators to the mini-cards or whatnot too but that should keep you informed of temporary immunities, damage reduction, etc. 

FarAway Sooner

The tabletop game's rules can be found at http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/system/files/downloads/Sentinels%20of%20the%20Multiverse%20Enhanced%20Edition%20Rulebook.pdf.

Unlike the PC gaming industry, almost all games in the tabletop industry have nice manuals.  And virtually of them are made available to the public online!  That's if you're willing to read, of course!   :D

tgb

I watched a video of the developer playing a game and it gave me a better feeling for things to consider when deciding what card/power to play.  Looking forward to going back to it.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: tgb on December 23, 2014, 07:32:57 PM
I watched a video of the developer playing a game and it gave me a better feeling for things to consider when deciding what card/power to play.  Looking forward to going back to it.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that video?

tgb

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 23, 2014, 07:36:44 PM
Quote from: tgb on December 23, 2014, 07:32:57 PM
I watched a video of the developer playing a game and it gave me a better feeling for things to consider when deciding what card/power to play.  Looking forward to going back to it.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGpo6kJvI3I

There are 4 or 5 of these.  I want to watch one of the more advanced ones.

Cyrano

First I'll say this one is an easy purchase -- one I'm glad I made in the heat of the Steam Sale -- even though I think they might have been a bit near in what was offered in initial content versus future DLC.  They seem to be interested in releasing it affordably, though, and a fellah has a right to an income...

The game is clearly about getting to know the heroes' native powers and decks and figuring out good ways to get them working together.

The game can be brutal depending on a certain measure of luck, but I really enjoy the way it subverts some hoary gaming conventions.  Citizen Dawn, for example, spawns hordes of minions who run in clever sets (Citizen Hammer and Citizen Anvil; Citizen Blood, Citizen Sweat, Citizen Tears; &c.) and my native tendency was to "clear the trash" before going after the boss herself.  The problem there is that, until she has three minions out, she's invulnerable.  I would have known this before I slaughtered her minions had I read her card carefully, but did not.  Let's just say that one ended badly for the forces of righteousness.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: tgb on December 23, 2014, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 23, 2014, 07:36:44 PM
Quote from: tgb on December 23, 2014, 07:32:57 PM
I watched a video of the developer playing a game and it gave me a better feeling for things to consider when deciding what card/power to play.  Looking forward to going back to it.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGpo6kJvI3I

Thanks

There are 4 or 5 of these.  I want to watch one of the more advanced ones.

WYBaugh

Woo hoo I won the tutorial mission!!  Lost Wraith and Tachyon but I won, I won  :o

Nefaro

#27
Quote from: Cyrano on December 23, 2014, 08:45:00 PM
First I'll say this one is an easy purchase -- one I'm glad I made in the heat of the Steam Sale -- even though I think they might have been a bit near in what was offered in initial content versus future DLC.  They seem to be interested in releasing it affordably, though, and a fellah has a right to an income...

The game is clearly about getting to know the heroes' native powers and decks and figuring out good ways to get them working together.

The game can be brutal depending on a certain measure of luck, but I really enjoy the way it subverts some hoary gaming conventions.  Citizen Dawn, for example, spawns hordes of minions who run in clever sets (Citizen Hammer and Citizen Anvil; Citizen Blood, Citizen Sweat, Citizen Tears; &c.) and my native tendency was to "clear the trash" before going after the boss herself.  The problem there is that, until she has three minions out, she's invulnerable.  I would have known this before I slaughtered her minions had I read her card carefully, but did not.  Let's just say that one ended badly for the forces of righteousness.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

You make a good point. 

The Villains also have their own strengths & weaknesses.  Make sure you guys read how the big Villain card operates, between when it flips and what actions it will take when on each side, in any given turn.  Then formulate your strategy from there because, as Cyrano says, it's not always about nuking everything as fast as possible.  You gotta use finesse at times.   :)


I'm looking forward to them adding more of the expansion content.  Still lots of superheroes, villains, and environments to be added to the digital version.

tgb

I'm finally starting to get the hang of it, having defeated both Baron Blood & Omnitron with teams of 5.  Tomorrow I move on to something more challenging.

Tosh

Nefaro, just want to thank you for recommending Sentinels and Ascension as well. DidnĀ“t know anything about those games, and now enjoying them immensely.  8)