Mechs & Mercs: Black Talons

Started by Tpek, January 10, 2015, 07:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

It is surprisingly, not that bad...I played the first mission.

The game has some pretty cool concepts. It has a wide variety of squad types and weapons which allow you to balance speed, combat power, defensive abilities, etc. There is great incentive to preserve your squads because they gain experience, level up and get new abilities, which you get to pick in the squad bay between missions.  It is important to capture and secure landing zones so you can call in reinforcements and replacements.

Combat is real time, but there is a pause button that puts the game in ultra slow-motion. You can give orders to your troops in this mode.  it is also important for you to use cover, attack on the flanks, get enemies caught in cross-fires or suppress them with certain types of weapons.  It is also important to use the right weapons for the right targets.  Finally, engineer squads can sabotage or hack structures on the field, or emplace their own defensive structures.


I like the concept of having the cruiser in orbit and being able to call down dropships when necessary. Between missions, you have access to different areas of your ship. You can look at the map of the solar system, select optional or mission essential contracts, upgrade squads and select weapons, improve your cruiser, etc. 

Anyway, I do look forward to playing more. For $16, I think it is well worth it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


panzerde

Thanks JH. That pushes me over the edge. Picking this up tonight.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Gusington

Sounds cool...but does it feel like a more generic WH40K game?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2015, 06:27:19 PM
Sounds cool...but does it feel like a more generic WH40K game?

I don't get a WH40K vibe from it at all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

Cool. For 16.00 it sounds like it may be a bargain.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

panzerde

Played the first mission. It's fun. In terms of tactics it's not CM or even Graviteam Tactics, but for $16 it's worth it, I think.



"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2015, 06:27:19 PM
Sounds cool...but does it feel like a more generic WH40K game?
I didn't think there were even Mechs in the 40k universe.  ??? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

panzerde

Quote from: Martok on January 11, 2015, 11:39:35 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2015, 06:27:19 PM
Sounds cool...but does it feel like a more generic WH40K game?
I didn't think there were even Mechs in the 40k universe.  ???


Titans?


http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Martok

I stand corrected and enlightened.  Heretofore, I'd only been aware of infantry, vehicles, and air units.  :-[ 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Tpek

Guess I might take the plunge as well :P

Gusington

I won't bite til JH gets further into the campaign. TITANICUS!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Just finished my second contract. Still enjoying the game. Its not the most polished game out there, but it is different and it does stand out from most other strategy games released in recent memory. The graphics and animations aren't the best, but I do like the look of the troops and weapons for the most part. I also really like the ship stations between missions. There are some nice visual and sound touches that make it pretty immersive. I'm convinced it is well worth the $16.00 price tag. 

I'll say this...it is the ONLY game that has been able to pull me away from Elite: Dangerous in the last 3 weeks or so.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Martok

 :o


Holy crap.  That statement alone almost makes me curious enough to get it. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^I was just going to type the same thing. Hmm...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd