Main Menu

Sid Meier's Starships

Started by Anguille, January 19, 2015, 10:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Steelgrave


Shelldrake

I find it odd that my laptop, which runs XCOM nicely on medium settings, can't run a PC port of a tablet game smoothly even in windowed mode. For what it is I find Starships to be is a fun time waster - hopefully it will improve with updates and mods.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 16, 2015, 01:31:20 PM
PC Gamer spanked it pretty bad.

http://www.pcgamer.com/sid-meiers-starships-review/

I dunno. Anyone that thinks Civilization Revolution is a "superb" game has some perception issues, IMO. It's not bad, but it's a very, very poor man's version of the 'real' Civ.

fabius

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 16, 2015, 01:31:20 PM
PC Gamer spanked it pretty bad.

http://www.pcgamer.com/sid-meiers-starships-review/

Think others here have wrote better reviews in forum posts, but this made me laugh:

QuoteSid Meier's Starships

Get a cardboard box, paint it silver, sit in it and pretend you're Kirk. There, we just saved you some cash.

Gusington

Played for an hour. It's simple and not complex, but fun. I don't get all the hate...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on March 17, 2015, 09:00:22 PM
Played for an hour. It's simple and not complex, but fun. I don't get all the hate...

I enjoy the combat. There are lots of things I would like to see improved and it's not a deep game, but I own other deep games. I'm good with just being fun for a change.

Gusington

Yeah. The nerd rage for this is just...creepy.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I've actually had a tough time figuring it out; it wasn't terribly intuitive, but then again I didn't spend but maybe 30 minutes with the game. I figured out enough but I pushed my luck and ended up getting my butt kicked in the second system I entered. I rage quit. But I will be baahhhck.

Gusington

It's definitely not intuitive and there are definitely bugs, but it is not a steaming pile to get enraged with like some over at Steam have been doing. Awkward pun intended.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Played some more last night...still had fun, but less fun. I don't want to sound like a 9 year old but the graphics are piss poor. A tutorial of some kind is needed too. Gameplay itself can get repetitive, and diplomacy is really weak. So...if I paid 25.00 or more I would be pretty pissed, but I paid around 11.00. I guess the price point should have prepared me. It's fun, but I don't see myself playing much more, especially with Homeworld and Endless Space waiting.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Cyrano

That's IT...Gus nailed it for me.

1:  Yep, the tutorial lack is weird and bothersome.

2:  Far more significantly, with all the 4X out there -- certainly Sid's own iterations not least -- what is the elevator pitch for this game?  I don't see it.  Four X-ers (I'm truthfully not one) have a set of expectations that there's no way this game could ever have met.  Ship-to-ship tactical guys (I'm one of those guys) are going to find this ludicrous (I do).  Who's this game for?

I don't hate it.  I'm not mad at it.  But it certainly doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

tgb

It's not a 4X. In fact, Firaxis went out of their way to say that it isn't one.  It has some lite 4X elements, but it was never pitched as anything but a casual turn-based tactical combat game.

Cyrano

I know all that, but that's why there's all the rage.  It's never sunk in because of its look and pedigree.

What IS the elevator pitch for this game that seems to be falling with a thud between two stools?
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Anguille

Think I'll buy it in order to play during my travels...just for relaxing purpose.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)