Main Menu

PORT ROYALE 3!!?!

Started by son_of_montfort, April 25, 2012, 07:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

son_of_montfort

Nobody freakin' told me the Caribbean trade/merchant pirate sim Port Royale was getting a third iteration and that it was releasing in about a week!?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/205610/

I'm so excited about this! I love the medieval version, Patrician, although North Sea trade really isn't my area. But Caribbean trade with piracy and smuggling... you can't beat it!

Anyone else like these games?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

TheCommandTent

I saw this on STEAM but had never heard of this series before.  Whats the game play like?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

son_of_montfort

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 25, 2012, 07:28:55 PM
I saw this on STEAM but had never heard of this series before.  Whats the game play like?

Honestly, a spreadsheet with an overlay map full of beautiful seas and boats.  ;)

It's a hardcore trade game, so you buy cargo at one port and sell it at other points. You have supply and demand models, production, events that effect the market (war, famine, disease), that sort of thing. You basically run a trading company. In PR2, you had the option of outfitting your ships to "go pirating" with a naval war engine similar to the old Pirates! series, although a bit more complicated.

There is a lot of trade micromanagement, which is something I like. The best analog was an old game called Merchant Prince/Machiavelli (depending on the version) back in the 90s. But in the PR series you can build production buildings, run for political offices, do trade missions, court favor with different cities - a whole range of stuff. If you like economics sims and like the 16th-17th century Caribbean setting, I suggest looking into this one.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

TheCommandTent

It does look like a visually appealing game.  I enjoy the setting but not sure what I think about a trading simulation.  I will say I enjoyed the remake of Sid Meiers Pirates! so I might look into this after it comes out.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

I've heard good things about the series but never played it myself.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

I'm hopefully optimistic about this one. 

son_of_montfort

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 25, 2012, 07:53:20 PM
It does look like a visually appealing game.  I enjoy the setting but not sure what I think about a trading simulation.  I will say I enjoyed the remake of Sid Meiers Pirates! so I might look into this after it comes out.

Don't let my mention of SM Pirates Gold! fool you, it's a DEEP trading sim above all else.

QuoteI'm hopefully optimistic about this one. 

I see what you did there.

But yeah, the only thing that bugs me is how it apparently appeared out of nowhere.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

I knew they were making PR3 for awhile now, but the release date was only put out the last couple weeks I think.

I've been waitin' for this one.  Much prefer the Caribbean over early rennaissance Baltic (bleh).  The trading part is fun, and I've plain gone raiding in previous ones, when I felt like adding some extra cargo to my holds (although it's not near as profitable as some heated trading).

undercovergeek

patiently waiting!!

been waiting for a highly recommended trade sim for a while now - a while back i bought Pr3 on gog and lost a whole weekend just trying things out (while the couple downstairs had a great arguement, and in between turns i watched the police turn up and drag the shouty baffoons away) - loved all aspects apart from the North Sea setting which is odd for a UK-er but palm trees, islands, rum running and piracy - now youre talking

on a side note and i may be misinformed - this was on the WG forum (i think) the german version of the game is available next week and the non german version is available next week but only in download format - the translated hard copy will only be out September ish

undercovergeek