Main Menu

Naval Action

Started by PanzersEast, January 20, 2015, 11:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PanzersEast


Sir Slash

Looks as good as Kate Upton carrying a six-pack. :D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart


Nefaro

Waiting for it to be feature complete. 

I've been shying away from grindy games like WoT and WT while they're in pre-release since all your progress will get wiped.  Possibly more than once. 

After doing closed beta for WoT, WT, and World of Warplanes (amongst other MMOs before that), I'm done with getting burned out on the grind shortly after their official release.  :-\  Gotta make it count.

Nefaro

Admittedly, my willpower to avoid extra grind in the early access is being tried with all the great vids of the PvP action.

Their pre-order stuff got temporarily shut down when PayPal flipped out for some reason and put a lock on their sales account.  Supposed to be up and running again in the next couple days but will still be a waiting game since they only send out Alpha access keys to pre-orders once a week or so.

Even if I don't play it much this early, it will be a nice change of pace from WT and simming.

Shelldrake

After watching the video I am hooked. Looks much more challenging than WOT which I am pretty much burned out on, although it held my interest for  a very long time!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

RedArgo

I've been playing Naval Action some since December.  The current state is similar to WoT in that you do damage and accumulate that in order to unlock the next ship up in the line.  I don't know if the game will work that way once it is finished.  Currently, I've got the frigate class Surprise opened up for me.

I've enjoyed the battles.  There is a lot more to keep track of with wind direction and sail/rudder orientation than in a tank, and I frequently find myself coming up into the wind and getting in trouble.  It is slower as you are maneuvering around at a distance, but once you get in close it is fast and furious.  Keeping track of where other ships are when you are trying to aim your broadside and repair damage can get a little overwhelming for me as I get tunnel vision and I've had several collisions with both enemy and friendly ships.  Those will completely ruin your day, especially if it is a friendly, since I feel stupid, or a bigger enemy because I'm sinking.

The community is definitely more mature than WoT, I haven't seen any name calling.  Mostly there isn't a lot of chatting during the game, I think people are concentrating.  Sometimes, you have to wait a bit for a game, as there aren't so many people in the lobby at any given time.

Overall, I've enjoyed the game so far, but I'm a very amateur sailing ship person, so if you are into the fine details of this genre, you may not like it as much.

Rayfer

Is it online only like World of Tanks?

Nefaro

Quote from: Rayfer on January 21, 2015, 10:39:41 AM
Is it online only like World of Tanks?

They specifically plan on having some kind of open world or overarching faction meta-game.  I dunno the details but I think it may at least be something like players warring for their chosen nation's supremacy.  Like I said, I don't know the details, just that they're planning on making it more than just one-off battle grinding.


RedArgo

Quote from: Rayfer on January 21, 2015, 10:39:41 AM
Is it online only like World of Tanks?

It sounds to me like their plan is an open world similar to Elite: Dangerous.

Currently you can do player vs player, just like WoT, or player vs environment, where it is you or a group of humans against the AI.  The battles can take up to an hour, but there is no world to live in, just one battle at a time.

Asid

Naval Action is an exciting, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat game immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.



Official ste: http://www.navalaction.com/#ageofsail

Official forum: http://forum.game-labs.net/

Official Blog: http://www.navalaction.com/blog/

Server Status: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/649-server-status-updates-servers-are-on/

Pre-Order: http://www.navalaction.com/preorder/

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Navalaction

Payment Model: Pay once

Game Status (13/01/15): Early - Alpha. Play is limited to PVE + PVP online

Steam: Yes

Online Multi-player only at this stage.
Your Graphics card must be DX11 Compatible and have Shader 5 at least!


A great fan made promo video


System requirements:

Video card: Game requires a video card with full DX11 and Shader Model 5 support with at least 1GB of video memory.
  nVidia gtx 460 and higher or AMD Radeon HD 6450 and higher are required.
  nVidia gtx 660 and higher or AMD Radeon R9 270 and higher are recommended.
  Intel GPU is supported from Intel Iris 5200 and higher but not recommended due low visual quality and performance.
Operating system: Windows 7 and above
Memory: 4GB RAM, 8GB recommended

Combat and gunnery
Realistic ballistics and cannon performance of the period. Every cannonball is tracked in the air and after it hits the target. One shot can hit the stern, damage the rudder, then hit the cannon carriage, injure crew, ricochet from the floor and hit the opposite side. Listing and wind affects the shooting distance and will require change of tactics.

Weapons: All major types of naval artillery are implemented: from long guns to carronades, and mortars (of course limited by the ship role and its hull). Fort and land batteries will provide support during port battles. Fire ships and branders will also be present in the game.

Sailing
Advanced wind and physics model provides for realistic portrayal of ship's performance in the age of sail. Yard angles, ship angle to wind, cargo, fittings and ship condition affects speeds and turning rates. Correct tacking, boxhauling, clubhauling and other elements of the age of sail sailing are possible. Hidden ship characteristics will allow to gradually uncover potential of the vessel – every ship in game will be unique.

Damage model: Leaks, splinters, loose cannons, demasting, raking, fires and all other hazards possible in that era. Damaged ship fittings and modules will change behavior of the ship.

Open world prototype
We are continuing development of the open world prototype.

Naval Action will feature one of the largest sandbox maps in history of age of sail games. You will be able to write your own story by building the trading or military empires for their nations or guilds. Because game will not have levels or classes you will have full control over your fate and character development.

Current ship line-up
Naval Action will feature accurate hull models, sail plans, guns, internal modules and parts, historical speed, turning and heel performance. Ships from trading ships and smugglers to small gunboats to large 100+ gun first rates will allow the player to experience every possible role of the Age of Sail period.

5 more models are in development including 140 gun Santisima Trinidad.

Schooner
Royal Armed Yacht
Heavy Corvette
Leda class Frigate
74
Navy Cutter
Light Brig
Frigate
Super-Frigate
1st Rate



War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Nefaro

 >:D

Oh, look!  It's a schooner!


Sir Slash

If it's from Oklahoma, it's a Sooner Schooner.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Knew I couldn't resist this one.  Was just a matter of how long.  Just answered that question earlier.

Hopefully I'll get the activation key in before the weekend.  :))

Nefaro

Their pre-order was back up yesterday.  I did so.

They mentioned sending more Steam activation codes out daily until Friday (tomorrow) to get caught up and then it will go back to once a week.

I may check it out this weekend.  Go rake someone in the rear.    :D