Looking at Friday through the Eyes of a Tired Hub

Started by Jarhead0331, January 23, 2015, 06:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

I got in some War in the West this weekend...holy crap that's a detailed game. Every time I play it I find something new that has to be discussed so I'm fairly intimidated to do an effective review of it.

To ease the pain I did get in some Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Never played it back in the day. So far it's pretty simplistic with very little challenge, but as so many say this is one of the best games ever I will stick with it. I didn't get to MOO 1/2 or SW: Rebellion, but what else is new?

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 23, 2015, 09:24:58 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 23, 2015, 09:03:22 AM
Insurgency, Naval Action, and War Thunder multi-player.

A Sunday excursion on the Rise Of Flight Syndicate server.

Voidexpanse and SW:Rebellion need to be shoehorned in there soon.


Lastly, I have many new shinies for the tabletop.  So if I get confused as to all the above, I can just go old school with space piracy, frozen zombiepocalypses, and trying to weasel my way up the Napoleonic military ladder.



These are great days we're livin in, bros.  We're jolly green giants walking the earth.  With guns.  :)


  This is probably the closest to what I'll be doing:  maybe some RoF, DCS, and definitely some CMANO and WitPAE PBEM and maybe some boardgames and FarCry3.  I might even get the train simulator. 

  Oh, and this just in from Wikipedia:  The early Charlie-class Russian nuclear-powered subs used an anti ship (or nuke) missile the
SS-N-7 Starbright.  I'm going to see if those work at least as antiship missiles in a late 60s environment.

  So what really happened in the world of games this week-end?

  1) The Starbright (at least in CMANO) is totally lethal.  I'm not sure how targeting it would have really worked in the real world, but in the world of CMANO in 1969, it sinks ex-RN frigates in the Portuguese Navy with no trouble at all
  2) WIPAE PBEM:  things are getting complicated -- the Long Lance is proving pretty dangerous for my ships
  3) Train Simulator 2015:  the reviews on Steam that I happened to read were so negative that it seemed to me it must be a great game, it has been pretty fun, though with lots of mysterious this and that which might be seen as bugs or updates or the unexpected effects of different route DLC on each other.  Some Locomotives appear out of the ether and others have lost their paint -- until you drop them into the game -- then they are okay but the HUDs are transmorgrified .  I'm not saying those are bad things.  I'm just sayin'....

JudgeDredd

Started F1 2013 and came out a bit annoyed that my progression from the previous season didn't seem to carry over...so I think I'll be waiting on 2014 before I get into it again. I do have F1 2014 and I might play that until the real F1 2014 comes out.

Fleet Commander:Nimitz got an outing. Got my first battle (Marshall Islands or Gilbert Islands). There was a Jap Cruiser and Destroyer and a Battalion landing facing off against the Enterprise, 2 Cruisers and a Destroyer and the 1st Marine landing.

By the end of the two turn battle, the US troops were landed and ready to engage (in their foxholes). The Japanese Battalion also landed but the 2 Jap ships were sunk by the TBD's and SBD and the F4F's strafed and effectively destroyed one battalion.

So we've landed but it's still contested.

I also played a little bit of Shadow of Mordor

That was it really. I thought about firing other things up, but couldn't be bothered...and I was out at a wedding all day Saturday anyway...so it was a short gaming weekend for me anyway.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 26, 2015, 10:44:10 AM
Started F1 2013 and came out a bit annoyed that my progression from the previous season didn't seem to carry over...so I think I'll be waiting on 2014 before I get into it again. I do have F1 2014 and I might play that until the real F1 2014 comes out.

Fleet Commander:Nimitz got an outing. Got my first battle (Marshall Islands or Gilbert Islands). There was a Jap Cruiser and Destroyer and a Battalion landing facing off against the Enterprise, 2 Cruisers and a Destroyer and the 1st Marine landing.

By the end of the two turn battle, the US troops were landed and ready to engage (in their foxholes). The Japanese Battalion also landed but the 2 Jap ships were sunk by the TBD's and SBD and the F4F's strafed and effectively destroyed one battalion.

So we've landed but it's still contested.

I also played a little bit of Shadow of Mordor

That was it really. I thought about firing other things up, but couldn't be bothered...and I was out at a wedding all day Saturday anyway...so it was a short gaming weekend for me anyway.

i would have thought progression was the essence of the game - is it a bug?

JudgeDredd

I have no idea. But I'm listed as 16th even though I finished 6th or 7th or something in the previous season. And my team mate Maldonado finished 15th and he's listed as 15th or 14th

I had thought progression of the car had stayed as the performance felt good...however, after qualy 2, I found myself down in 14th...about the same as the previous season.

I think I did see some "blurb" at the beginning of my second season saying Williams were looking forward to me building on last season...but nothing at all felt lie it had stayed from the previous season. And I certainly shouldn't have been listed as 16th. Williams finished quite high in the constructors championship - at least mid table so they should've been ranked higher second season.

So no - I didn't get any indication at all that season progression was there.

During my last season, I was offered certain contracts, but I decided to stay where I was. Perhaps most people accept one of the newer contracts.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on January 26, 2015, 10:22:58 AM


  So what really happened in the world of games this week-end?




I did actually play a little Insurgency but not a lot.  Instead, I filled some of that time with Running With Rifles multi-player.



The largest amount of gaming went to Naval Action and Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars.   There was a ship-ton of Napoleonic warfare multi-player for me and I greatly enjoyed every bit of it.  O0  Think I will do some again tonight!  Had forgot how damn much fun Napoleonic Wars multi-player is!


For some reason my Nvidia ShadowPlay refused to record Naval Action but I did get some fun M&B Napoleonic siege mode footage to post.  There was much bayoneting.  ^-^ 

Toonces

I fired up some DCS: MiG-21bis....holy crap is that a detailed jet.  Very tough to wrap my head around some of the stuff in that cockpit.  It's not intuitive.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Toonces on January 26, 2015, 08:16:41 PM
I fired up some DCS: MiG-21bis....holy crap is that a detailed jet.  Very tough to wrap my head around some of the stuff in that cockpit.  It's not intuitive.


Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Kushan

I didn't play a thing this weekend. All my free time was spent working on Command scenario OOBs. I got the Luftwaffe, French Air Force, and the RAF all laid out in Google earth. Going to get them converted into the game this week, then I can start the naval forces OOB.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

MengJiao

Quote from: Toonces on January 26, 2015, 08:16:41 PM
I fired up some DCS: MiG-21bis....holy crap is that a detailed jet.  Very tough to wrap my head around some of the stuff in that cockpit.  It's not intuitive.

  The Mig21 is my current favorite plane to fly in the DCS editor.  I had a notebook going about it (with notes like: its the 4th little button on the top of the radar controls), and at one point I could get some information out of the radar, but I think I'm going work on the Mig15 when it comes out before going back to the 21.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on January 27, 2015, 09:42:04 AM


  The Mig21 is my current favorite plane to fly in the DCS editor.


That kinda sums up the DCS experience.  It's more like flying a flight sim editor.  :D

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on January 27, 2015, 11:51:31 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 27, 2015, 09:42:04 AM


  The Mig21 is my current favorite plane to fly in the DCS editor.


That kinda sums up the DCS experience.  It's more like flying a flight sim editor.  :D

  Very true.  But that's fine with me.  These days I play most games more or less in the editor:  CMANO, Train Simulator 2015, DCS,
CMFI, ARMAIII/3.

  The only games I play much outside the editor these days are WitpAe and Rome II

Skoop

The 21 was a tough challenge to fly, the YouTube videos helped a bunch.  Also some of the key weapon toggles I put to my hotas as well as the radar buttons.  Once I did that I became really capable in that thing.  It actually drove me to create more of my own scenarios so I was flying in a more believable 1980s style setting.

Martok

I know I'm absurdly late to this thread, but I spent that weekend on a Star Wars kick.  Thanks to the "new" releases on GOG, what few free hours I had were indulged playing either Rogue Squadron or Empire at War.  Good times! 




Quote from: Anguille on January 23, 2015, 08:32:27 AM
- Continue my campaign in cough Lords of the cough black sun cough  :crazy2:. Bought it this week on steam for 10 bucks. I guess if I play 10 hours of it (already 1), it will be worth it.
What do you think so far?  I'll admit that despite everything, I remain somewhat curious about this one. 




Quote from: tgb on January 23, 2015, 10:51:48 AM
A new Beta build for Sovereignty just dropped unexpectedly, so I will try to shoehorn some time in.
Hmm... 




Quote from: Bison on January 24, 2015, 06:53:17 PM
I'm currently fighting an uphill battle in Fallen Enchantress.  I'm 5th ranked in terms of power, but I just held off a full on onslaught from the #2 and #3 powers and annex a couple of cities and some strategic resource outposts.  Currently gearing up to take out the 8th rank power and make a serious push to take more land from the #2 power.
Nice!  Which Sovereign/faction have you been playing as? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces