OOTP 16 - Now Officially Licensed

Started by Nefaro, January 23, 2015, 12:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbmike

I've played OOTP since OOTP 6 and have never even turned on financials.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MetalDog

^ One of the great strengths of a game like this, I imagine :)

@Bison: As I suspected.  I'd still like an answer from those who play about whether or not they have a philosophy or just wing it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JudgeDredd

#32
Quote from: MetalDog on January 29, 2015, 06:58:11 AM
^ One of the great strengths of a game like this, I imagine :)

@Bison: As I suspected.  I'd still like an answer from those who play about whether or not they have a philosophy or just wing it.
I don't know enough about the sport to go too in-depth into the backroom. I leave alot of it alone. When I start a season, I start as the Anaheim Angels (yes - every time) and I play. I used to play the games out play by play, but now I just watch the BBN Cast (is that what it's called?)

I haven't ever finished a season 'cos you buggers over there think 200 games is a good number of games to play in a season!!  :uglystupid2:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

MetalDog

That's why simulation is your friend ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

sandman2575

Quote from: bbmike on January 29, 2015, 06:21:28 AM
I've played OOTP since OOTP 6 and have never even turned on financials.  :D

Wow!  I love the financials, personally -- love hunting for free agents and especially the bidding wars that happen in the off-season.

But that's what's so amazing about OOTP -- it is endlessly configurable to whatever style you want to play. The sheer amount of options available to you in setting up your league(s) is staggering.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 29, 2015, 01:23:52 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 29, 2015, 06:21:28 AM
I've played OOTP since OOTP 6 and have never even turned on financials.  :D

But that's what's so amazing about OOTP -- it is endlessly configurable to whatever style you want to play. The sheer amount of options available to you in setting up your league(s) is staggering.

I think the vast options are both its strength and its curse......its great to have so many options, but I often get stuck on trying to find the best combination of options before I start a career....I end up with analysis paralysis:)

sandman2575

I agree, Grim, and have gotten hung up plenty of times trying to achieve 'perfect' league settings. I still favor a fairly complex setup, but I've also adopted a 'less is more' philosophy in some respects -- no more feeder leagues or international leagues for me.

A good thing to do is save a league Template once you're reasonably happy with all your tinkering and tweaking. Can save a ton of work in the long run.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 29, 2015, 06:22:55 PM
I agree, Grim, and have gotten hung up plenty of times trying to achieve 'perfect' league settings. I still favor a fairly complex setup, but I've also adopted a 'less is more' philosophy in some respects -- no more feeder leagues or international leagues for me.

A good thing to do is save a league Template once you're reasonably happy with all your tinkering and tweaking. Can save a ton of work in the long run.

Yeah, determining feeders, injuries, trades, rules, etc.....always a challenge for me to get right.  I wish there was an out of the box setup that completely mirrored real life.  I know they had the MLB quickstarts, but pretty sure the last time I used it, still didn't have all the options preset for you.

MetalDog

Once I become proficient, I am going to create a league that mirrors what I would like to see the Major Leagues use, and have the season complete by the end of September.

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on January 29, 2015, 06:58:11 AM
^ One of the great strengths of a game like this, I imagine :)

@Bison: As I suspected.  I'd still like an answer from those who play about whether or not they have a philosophy or just wing it.

I don't dwell too much on my two lower level minors teams.  Just try to put good coaches with some young players and hope to have one or two develop to move up the ranks.  The major and minor league teams I manage much more and do a mix of home grown talent and free agents.  Generally I'll shape my lineups and position off of a few strong players and plug the holes with mid-tier talent.  Lazy?  Yes.  Pitching is were I really like to get in to the muck and develop my 4-5 man starting rotation and a bullpen of mixed r/l hand middle/long relievers with the strong setup and closer. 

Nefaro

One word of advice:

If you don't want crazy new MLB teams sprouting up out of nothing, and other such changes, then go turn off all the Dynamic League options.

I got a few seasons into one game I had been enjoying a couple years ago and then some new stinkin' Pro team was randomly added (something like the Albany Magpies or some shit).  It used the terrible generic logos and brutally yanked me out of the immersion. 

The rules and contract changes could be annoying to remember but this was the last straw.  Been disabling that stuff right after a new game first loads up ever since.

MetalDog

Is that a default setting do you know?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

sandman2575

Yeah, pretty sure 'enable dynamic league evolution' *is* the default setting, which is ridiculous. Folks on the OOTP forum have been after Markus to change this for some time.

Nefaro is right -- definitely disable this unless you enjoy unexpected wackiness ...

Nefaro

Yes all that stuff is On by default.  You have to dig down into the World Settings (or whatever it's called) to find them.  Fortunately there is a single checkbox that allows you to turn them all off in one go IIRC.

MetalDog

Thanks for the tip fellas.  Learning more every time I turn the game on.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob