Big winter storm on the way!

Started by Shelldrake, January 26, 2015, 07:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: steve58 on February 11, 2015, 04:49:26 PM
NJ police crack down on teens for illegal :o snow shoveling

...used to be when young people showed a little entrepreneurial initiative it was a good thing.  Seriously, a permit to shovel snow :idiot2:??  Guess they must've p*ssed off the local Snow Shoveling Union goons :uglystupid2:

I'm not quite clear on why it's a good idea to punish kids who are trying to learn a good work ethic and make an honest dollar.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

W8taminute

Just paid 400 to get my roof cleaned and my ice dams cleared enough to stop the water intrusion into my house.  I'm physched!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

As posted by a friend of mine on FB this afternoon

This snowfall brought to you by the North Carolina Visitors Bureau who remind you that it is 64 and sunny today!

now, that's not entirely true.  It's about 58 and just starting to drizzle.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Yep. Another friggin blizzard this weekend. I'm in full-on Shining mode.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2015, 05:37:45 PM
Yep. Another friggin blizzard this weekend. I'm in full-on Shining mode.

so you'll be polishing you know all weekend huh.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

W8taminute

Quote from: bob48 on February 11, 2015, 06:16:54 PM
^Ouch!

Yep.  I'm happy the problem is gone for now but I can't be buying any new games for quite a while.   :(
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Arctic Blast

Relief is on the way! Above zero temperatures here for the past few days.

Of course, freezing rain and sleet hit tomorrow...

Martok

I think winter has gotten bored with the Upper Midwest these last couple years, and that's why it's torturing all you poor SOB's in the Northeast now. 

Our oddly mild winter here in MN continues.  The temperatures are more or less back where they should be (i.e., freaking freezing out), but all we get for precipitation is an inch or two snow here, some freezing rain & sleet there.  They actually had to cancel the last leg of a major snowmobile race last weekend because of there not being enough snow on the ground in my area. 

It's weird.  I'm torn between relief over the relatively gentle winter, and this bizarre sense of jealousy over what you guys further east are going through.  I keep thinking, "Hey, that's *our* snow we're supposed to be getting!"  :tickedoff:  ::) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

well it sure as hell ain't "my" snow!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 13, 2015, 07:08:17 AM
well it sure as hell ain't "my" snow!

your snow is the ingestible kind, innit?

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Bitterly cold here today..... -27C feels like -40C on my way to work.  >:(
High today is expected to top out at -18C feels like -26C.

By the way the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales meet at -40.... so that's 72 degrees F below the freezing point of water if anyone is keeping count.....  :crazy2:

OJsDad

My inlaws have a place west of Cadillac, MI. and haven't had enough decent snow to go snowmobiling.  Last year they rode at least a couple of thousand miles by now.  This year, less than 200.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus