Big winter storm on the way!

Started by Shelldrake, January 26, 2015, 07:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Con

Wish Battlefront would have released Combat Mission Black Sea today........

Con

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on January 27, 2015, 10:15:46 AM
Winter is a total dick. Any of you guys in this shit, don't fuck around. This is the type of weather that will kill you. I'm used to winter, but this type of storm makes me wary.

Hunker down and stay safe.

I've been shoveling for a bit and I've only made a dent (fucking snow thrower is seized up in reverse and I didn't get it to the shop yet). My oldest just had a seizure this morning. He's ok now (it didn't last long and he's sleeping it off) but I was damn worried about what do if the seizure got more serious. The plow trucks left a snow wall at the end of my driveway high enough to create a defensible rampart- great if you're facing a Zulu attack but not so great if you have to get a kid to the doctor or urgent care facility.

I just got a notice from an old employer that I still have pension money there (from 20 years ago) and they want me to take a lump sum rather than wait until I retire. I'm tempted to go for it despite the tax hit since it probably won't be much and a big down payment for a beefy 4X4 is really sounding good right now...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Scary shit Stagger. Hope your son remains okay.

My landlord just plowed, so I could get out if I really had to. No plans for that though. Kids are at their mother's. I have power and internet (knock-on-wood) so I am sorta working.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

They're backing off a bit on the snowfall totals here now:

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 26, 2015, 10:48:54 PM
Glad you didn't break your neck Gus. Before the next storm get some of those hobnailed rubber shoe covers to stretch over your boots.

Get some Yaktrax. They rock.

http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Traction-Cleats-Black-Medium/dp/B0094GO6ZG
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

W8taminute

Quote from: Con on January 27, 2015, 10:05:41 AM
Wow thats intense outside.  My house is 8 miles north of downtown Boston right about where it says 30 inches and I believe it.  Threw the dog outside and for the first time he refused to go he normally loves the weather in the worst elements (he is a 130lb Swiss mountain dog with a double fur coat) but this time he just came immediately right up to the back door and howled to be let back in. 

I have set up a drop cam recording the last 24 hours I am going to try a timelapse see how it turns out.  Thing is its pointing at the neighbours across the street and the 50mph wind gusts have whipped most of the snow off their house depositing it on mine...winter is a dick!



I'm closer to the Worcester area.  I've got about 26 inches on my driveway now.  In fact the snow is up to just underneath the box of my sidewalk mail box and post. 

I LOVE THIS!!!!   (I'm being serious.  This is what winter should be like.  I hate summer.)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on January 27, 2015, 11:37:34 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 26, 2015, 10:48:54 PM
Glad you didn't break your neck Gus. Before the next storm get some of those hobnailed rubber shoe covers to stretch over your boots.

Get some Yaktrax. They rock.

http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Traction-Cleats-Black-Medium/dp/B0094GO6ZG

Quote from: AmazonPrice:   $14.67 - $12,995.00
Sale:   Lower price available on select options
Wow.  :o
Better skip the model with racing stripes.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 27, 2015, 12:12:43 PM

QuotePrice:   $14.67 - $12,995.00
Sale:   Lower price available on select options

Wow.  :o
Better skip the model with racing stripes.

I saw that, too. Maybe it's a matched set (with spangles) for Mirth and Star.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

I'm pretty jealous of you northerners...I'm with W8 on this. I hate the South. I'd rather it be ball-freezing outside with snow on the ground and a titanic fireplace roaring than deal with 70-degree winters. (I know...waah.)

Staggerwing

Move north then. I'm sure Toonces will give you a job shoveling his driveway and walk after he gets settled here.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Con

Getting ready to strap on the winter gear and try the first cleanup.  Maybe a lost cause but I have a limited window to do this while the boys are sleeping.  Meanwhile the wife is stuck in the hospital for the last 24 hours as they didnt cancel any surgeries so if you need anesthesia for losing some fingers in the snowblower get your ass to Mass General Hosp cause apparently they decided to stay 100% open in a historic storm so they can keep doing money making elective surgeries ....MGH are dicks as well

Con

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Not to be left out.........they have forecast 2" here in the next couple of days. However, they almost always get it wrong so I'll believe it when I see people scraping it off their cars.......

All this crap about weather satelites and stuff. Its actually some bloke in a back room at the TV studio with a map, a pin, a bit of seaweed and his bunion. >:(
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Damn Mirth. When is it supposed to stop snowing up there? The big stuff is over and we're looking to get just a few intermittent flakes now.




How are the Maritime Canadians doing through all this? Are you guys now getting the snowjob over there too or are you still forming a line?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys