Big winter storm on the way!

Started by Shelldrake, January 26, 2015, 07:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

FWIW, our high on THU is going to be in the low 20s here
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: OJsDad on February 15, 2015, 02:08:46 PM
Now, because of the new snow fall, they're thinking of dumping it into the ocean.  Why isn't this being done already.  Why do they need snow melting machines.  Is the snow being melted in the machines coming out cleaner than when it went in as snow.  If the snow naturally melts, will it go into the oceans cleaner than if they dumped it straight in.

Not sure where you are but once upon a time I lived in Boston. Prior to our moving there the Boston Harbor had been a great, polluted cesspool. (Our moving there did not change that - it changed before we arrived.) Once the Harbor was clean they decided to try and keep it that way. Laws were passed against dumping trash and even snow in the Harbor.

Plowed snow is rarely just snow. Typically it has been heavily treated with chemicals and/or salts to make it melt at a lower temperature. It usually also tends to pick up whatever road dirt there is, too (rubber from cars slowly wears off on pavement, oil, exhaust, et al).

So there is good reason for not wanting to dump snow in the Boston Harbor. Clearly, however, these are not normal times. I have no idea what kind of impact doing this will have on the Harbor, but I doubt it will be good for the critters that live there. The only question is, how bad will it be? It might be worth the risk.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

It was roughly -10 F when I went outside this morning at 8am. That was the highlight.

Today my older daughter is having a delayed Valentine's party so I am sequestered in my study right now with my in-laws dog, venturing out only to go get pizzas and direct traffic.

Looking forward to 3pm when everyone gets the hell out of my house and then more snow later. If anyone has been deployed for a rescue mission please stop by my house. You know, the one with the snow on the roof, next to the tree.

Why can't Attila: TW be released today instead of tomorrow??
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Quote from: LongBlade on February 16, 2015, 10:18:28 AM
Not sure where you are but once upon a time I lived in Boston. Prior to our moving there the Boston Harbor had bePlowed snow is rarely just snow. Typically it has been heavily treated with chemicals and/or salts to make it melt at a lower temperature. It usually also tends to pick up whatever road dirt there is, too (rubber from cars slowly wears off on pavement, oil, exhaust, et al).

LB, I live in NW Ohio.  When our snow melts it hits the storm drains, then the creeks, rivers and finally Lake Erie.  The same things are in our melted snow as there is in Boston.  So, under normal snowfalls, all of that stuff is in the melted snow in Boston also and getting in the harbor.  Or are they treating all of their storm water also. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

LongBlade

Quote from: OJsDad on February 16, 2015, 01:20:02 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on February 16, 2015, 10:18:28 AM
Not sure where you are but once upon a time I lived in Boston. Prior to our moving there the Boston Harbor had bePlowed snow is rarely just snow. Typically it has been heavily treated with chemicals and/or salts to make it melt at a lower temperature. It usually also tends to pick up whatever road dirt there is, too (rubber from cars slowly wears off on pavement, oil, exhaust, et al).

LB, I live in NW Ohio.  When our snow melts it hits the storm drains, then the creeks, rivers and finally Lake Erie.  The same things are in our melted snow as there is in Boston.  So, under normal snowfalls, all of that stuff is in the melted snow in Boston also and getting in the harbor.  Or are they treating all of their storm water also.

I think they don't want any more than already goes in. I know there used to be big penalties for dumping snow there.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

endfire79

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 16, 2015, 03:43:41 AM
Its below 60 degrees out!  Please send a rescue team equipped with Baileys and hot chocolate!

I heard they were sending Windy down there to help out   :)
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

GDS_Starfury

because we need another bright pink Canadistanian in a Borat thong.  ::)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

DUDE!  Next time WARN a fella!  I can't unSEE that!!!!!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

How long have you been hanging amongst us? You should know better.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con


GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

if the snow gets any worse hes going to have to cut her open and sleep inside.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.