In Australia, it's Friday...

Started by Toonces, February 13, 2015, 03:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

W8taminute

Another classic:



This weekend I'll be playing Snow Blower Wars 4 a game in which one tests their ability to pile snow on top of snow on top of snow...
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Anguille

So far 3 missions in Worldshift and many hours in Lords of the black sun...the enemy has proven to be a bigger challenge than what i expected. ???

Toonces

Quote from: southern_cross_116 on February 13, 2015, 08:02:50 AM


...and meanwhile near the end of the day in Little Straya .... continuing to practice with some graphics tools...  8)

Heh.  I do like me some AC/DC but I don't believe I've ever heard that song....rockin'!    O0
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

vyshka



Last night I spent some time with X-COM and Desktop Dungeons. I will probably spend some time with Elite: Dangerous and Wargame: Red Dragon.

Jarhead0331

I've been playing wargame red dragon. It's such a kickass game, I don't think it gets the attention it deserves. The wargame engine is really an accomplishment and the OOB is crafted with love. The series is really a wargamer's dream.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Ubercat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 07:20:01 PM
I've been playing wargame red dragon. It's such a kickass game, I don't think it gets the attention it deserves. The wargame engine is really an accomplishment and the OOB is crafted with love. The series is really a wargamer's dream.

Out of curiosity, do you ever play any tabletop war games, either on a table or through platforms such as Vassal?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 07:20:01 PM
I've been playing wargame red dragon. It's such a kickass game, I don't think it gets the attention it deserves. The wargame engine is really an accomplishment and the OOB is crafted with love. The series is really a wargamer's dream.

hear, hear

im regretting ignoring this game - its a gem that like you say doesnt get the recognition it deserves, which oddly is something the readers and contributors to RPS also tell the site admin - it went largely ignored by those guys - so im wondering if theres something about its heritage that people dont get

mikeck

I bought Wargame awile ago trying to scratch a modern tactical itch. I didnt get into it, but that itch was scratched with CMBS. I should give it another go now that you can slow time a bit
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on February 14, 2015, 07:29:03 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 07:20:01 PM
I've been playing wargame red dragon. It's such a kickass game, I don't think it gets the attention it deserves. The wargame engine is really an accomplishment and the OOB is crafted with love. The series is really a wargamer's dream.

Out of curiosity, do you ever play any tabletop war games, either on a table or through platforms such as Vassal?

No, but I would like to.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Toonces

Agreed on the Wargame series...really a great set of wargames that I totally suck at.  The ability to slow down time in Red Dragon is awesome, though...totally makes the game.

At any rate, it appears that I am in a modern warfare mood.  I just spend about 3 hours playing ARMA 3 multiplayer on a king of the hill server.  I totally suck at this, too, but it is fun.  Kind of RO2-like, but with modern kit.  Doing the tactical airdrop thing out of a helo was freaking cool!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Ubercat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 08:40:45 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on February 14, 2015, 07:29:03 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 14, 2015, 07:20:01 PM
I've been playing wargame red dragon. It's such a kickass game, I don't think it gets the attention it deserves. The wargame engine is really an accomplishment and the OOB is crafted with love. The series is really a wargamer's dream.

Out of curiosity, do you ever play any tabletop war games, either on a table or through platforms such as Vassal?

No, but I would like to.

That's what I thought as I've noticed that you only seem to post about PC games. Computer games definitely tend to have a lot more detail under the hood than any board game can manage, but I still prefer the latter for the sheer excitement of playing a human. No AI can match that.

Of course there are multi-player PC war games, but I can never seem to settle for long on any of them. There always seems to be 1-2 things that are just off to me, or the game is so massive that I'm totally lost, or I read about an unresolved bug and decide to hold off until it's fixed. Then 1 bug replaces the next, etc. Not all board war games are perfect by any stretch, but there are so many more of them that I've found plenty that I have no problems with.

If you want to try a board game on Vassal, I think I have the perfect candidate. Red Winter is a beautiful game and realistic simulation of a particular 5 day battle in the Finno-Soviet Winter War. It's company level with a small unit count, manageable rule set, and a great many tactics for both sides to try out. The Vassal module is also very well done, including all the charts needed. The rulebook is the best I've ever seen.

I own the game already, and if you try it you may soon own it yourself! I don't think that we'd be cheating GMT as one game owner would be all that's required to play F2F. Any how, let me know if you want to try it out. It would be pretty easy for me to teach after a rules refresher. I'm guessing that your best availability is in the evening. I can play after 7:30PM most nights. If you happen to have weekday mornings off, that's even better. I know it's a real long shot, though.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GJK

Finally getting around to Phantom Fury (boardgame using a Zuntzu gamebox that I put together).  This shit is getting nasty!!

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Jarhead0331

Thanks, Ubercat. I'll give vassal a shot. I can try to be available after 8:00 EST on weekdays, but weekends are definitely better.

Just let me know what I need to do. Thanks!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Strela

Quote from: Strela on February 14, 2015, 11:56:35 AM
Quote from: Boggit on February 13, 2015, 08:53:05 PM
I just love the France '40 PzC game. It's good to learn that one is being done for Panzer Battles. Is the new artwork similar to the Kursk game?

We have actually revamped the artwork for the first patch for Kursk. We have 'improved' the terrain graphics as well as the top down units (more 3D with depth and shading). These changes are optional and players can maintain the existing artwork if they like.

As far as the new title, it has all the above improvements and 'colourized' photos used for various units as per Kursk. All in all I'm happy with the look we have - it's a continued departure from the 'old style' John Tiller game.

Finally, this is a Western Front game but we aren't confirming the time period yet....

David

Boggit,

Find below a couple of examples from the new Panzer Battles 2 game as well as for the upcoming patch for Kursk.



Here is a screen shot of some of the unit cards from the new game. You can see they are comparable to Kursk;






Here is the new German top down graphics for Kursk - the old is on the left, the new is on the right. We have attempted to get more shadowing and a 3D effect. The colours are also aligned with unit card sidebar graphic also;






And the same for the Soviets (old on the left, new on the right);






Here is an example from Kursk of the new terrain - a version of this will be in the new title and tailored for the Western Front;





And for comparison the original terrain in the released game. The new terrain will be an optional extra in the first patch for Kursk;





The new terrain without the hex grid;







I welcome any comments...


David

Boggit

Quote

I welcome any comments...

David
@Strela
"Fantastic!" springs to mind. O0

I love the icons - very "Squad Leader" in spirit. I love the new terrain tile set too. I'll be d/ling that when it comes out.

I really hope JTs will retro this style to its older games. Bloody brilliant! O0

Flare to Gus - check this out for your Eastern Front fix! O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat