Old School Tactical up on Kickstarter

Started by Barthheart, February 13, 2015, 02:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

I have to admit that now that I've backed it, I'm really eager to get this and play it!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Richie61

:D Just grabbed a $85 package with free shipping! Somebody dropped as I was watching it!

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Staggerwing

Kickstarter lesson here folks:

Even if the tier you had your eye on is sold out keep checking it. Someone may back out at any time...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Richie61

Man! The more I read the rules, the more I want it NOW  :D
Ed
aka Richie61

Jamm

Thanks for the support Richie O0
I'm playing it now and having a blast.
Just got the Stalingrad map from the printers yesterday and I'm itching to get on it.
All those ruins, the map seems really claustrophobic and the battles I'm sure will feel the same. :)
When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

Richie61

Shayne,

My pleasure!

I think it's cool that a few years back I watched and used your CoH scenarios/ mods and now you designed a cool WWII board game.

Ed
aka Richie61
Ed
aka Richie61

Barthheart

$43,176 and less than 44 hours to go!

Less than $900 to the Heavy Metal stretch goal!

Come on Bob, you know you wanna.  ^-^

bob48

^Sorry. Actually having read the living rules. I don't. Components look nice though.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

Quote from: bob48 on March 13, 2015, 01:17:20 PM
^Sorry. Actually having read the living rules. I don't. Components look nice though.

Cool. But what didn't you like?

bob48

Its really just my own perspective on tac level games, and it is just like other games of that scale that I play; it fails to address aspects such as unit cohesion, a realistic way of dealing with command and the use of squads / platoons.

I have no doubt that it will a good 'game' and I wish FPG every success with it. The maps and components look outstanding, but, as I say, I'm now looking for a game that handles tactical level combat in a more 'realistic' way, and without a vast rules overhead. As far as I can see, no such game presently exists that does that.

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bob48 on March 13, 2015, 02:59:11 PMAs far as I can see, no such game presently exists that does that.

au contraire...  http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22877/fields-fire

and for deeper discussion on that one, please open a separate thread so we don't derail this one :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Fair comment. I should, however, have been more specific and said 'board game'. As I understand if FoF is primarily a card based game?

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jamm

Reached the 'Heavy Metal' goal, that's great O0

I understand Bob, not every game will tick everyone's checklist.
Unit cohesion I think is a lot more complicated at the tactical level.  I believe there is a lot more chaos when the bullets start flying than people like to admit.
There are leadership rules which dip into it, but adding more constraints to how a firefight is played can make a game more of a chess match with soldiers as pieces.

It's a delicate balance in game design, and choices have to be made.
Thank's for checking it out though and I always listen to new ideas. :)
When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

bob48

I fully appreciate what you say. At some point, I will most likely get it anyway, maybe when it goes to the Western Front.

It is not by any means my intention to 'trash' the game in any respect, and my comments are purely based on my own preferences.

'Clip those corners'