Armoured Commander Alpha [roguelike]

Started by spelk, February 13, 2015, 06:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

spelk

@Rev_sudasana, thanks for coming over here to comment on the progress of the game. I'm sure theres a quite a few of us here who are interested in the development of your game.

Rev_Sudasana

Glad to hear as many viewpoints as possible on its development. I consider myself a Grognard as well!

Nefaro

Yes.  I'm watching!

I still have a freshly punched copy of Patton's Best sitting on one of my game shelves, yet to be played.  Actually, I could say that about many of them on that big shelf.  ;D

jomni

Quote from: Rev_Sudasana on March 15, 2015, 07:28:07 AM
Just discovered this thread - I think this led to ArmCom being featured on Rock Paper Shotgun's Flare Path after ArmCom was spotted on the Tactical Wargames FB page, so thanks very much!

I've recently updated ArmCom to Alpha 5.1 (downloadable at http://www.armouredcommander.com/), which adds a longer campaign calendar as well as the full range of Sherman variants. Now there's still a ton of features that are still missing or only partially implemented, but I continue to make steady progress.

I should mention, however, that while ArmCom is inspired by Patton's Best, I'm not looking to make a PC version of the board game. ArmCom will be moving beyond the scope of PB, but I hope that it will be an enjoyable and exciting game nevertheless. The choice of a Roguelike format is intentional, but if you're hankering for a graphical version, the source is available under the GPL, and something like PyGame would make it relatively painless to develop a hex-and-counter branch version!

If you try the game out and discover any bugs that haven't already been mentioned, or have constructive suggestions, please feel free to email me or post on the Temple of the Roguelike thread at http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=4460.0

Thanks for dropping by.  Please keep us updated of new versions.  Thanks.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Nefaro on March 15, 2015, 06:36:20 PM
Yes.  I'm watching!

I still have a freshly punched copy of Patton's Best sitting on one of my game shelves, yet to be played.  Actually, I could say that about many of them on that big shelf.  ;D

Same here. I've been trying to review the PB rules every night before bed. One decimal followed by number per night...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for making the source available- this may be the inspiration that I need to actually start to learn (beyond a few basics) on how to code things for myself.  Having done the graphics for the VASSAL module for Patton's Best, I have the entire games contents redrawn already; I just need to learn to actually program the stuff.  I have flirted with python (hey, stop it!) some time ago so it's not completely foreign to me.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rev_Sudasana

Quote from: GJK on March 16, 2015, 05:54:02 AM
Thanks for stopping by and thanks for making the source available- this may be the inspiration that I need to actually start to learn (beyond a few basics) on how to code things for myself.  Having done the graphics for the VASSAL module for Patton's Best, I have the entire games contents redrawn already; I just need to learn to actually program the stuff.  I have flirted with python (hey, stop it!) some time ago so it's not completely foreign to me.

Give it a shot! If I can program, anybody can.

MetalDog

Glad to have you on here Rev_Sudasana!  It's great when the folks who make the games interact with the folks who play them :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Rev_Sudasana

I'm going to be on hiatus for a couple weeks, but after that I'm back to active development. I've already started on the crew experience and skill system, which should make longer campaigns more engaging and make it hurt a bit when you lose a skilled member of your crew.

GJK

#24
Quote from: Rev_Sudasana on March 18, 2015, 04:11:15 AM
I'm going to be on hiatus for a couple weeks, but after that I'm back to active development. I've already started on the crew experience and skill system, which should make longer campaigns more engaging and make it hurt a bit when you lose a skilled member of your crew.

That's really a critical element in Patton's Best so yeah, that would be awesome to see that included here.

Oh, and I know that I'll never get in to programming.  As many times as I've looked in to it, read some stuff, built the "hello world" intro codes, my time is just too limited and I get too easily distracted with other projects these days.  BUT, I do have all the graphics for PB and I could just as easily make a unique set that would not infringe on any copyright; should you or somebody else (hint hint) ever want to add a graphical element to your code.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rev_Sudasana

Just a quick note to report that I've updated ArmCom to Alpha 5.4, fixing a number of bugs and extending the campaign through to April, 1945. Still lots to do but I'm making steady progress.

Download at http://www.armouredcommander.com/downloads.html

Nefaro

Quote from: Rev_Sudasana on April 18, 2015, 06:26:07 AM
Just a quick note to report that I've updated ArmCom to Alpha 5.4, fixing a number of bugs and extending the campaign through to April, 1945. Still lots to do but I'm making steady progress.

Download at http://www.armouredcommander.com/downloads.html

Awesome.  Keep up the good work!  O0

Rev_Sudasana

Armoured Commander is now on Alpha 7: lots of additions and bug fixes since I last reported in. I feel like the combat system is really starting to click, and although the campaign layer is still a little flat, that's the next area that I'm going to do some work on.

http://www.armouredcommander.com

Some recent changes and additions:
- your tank can get bogged down, more likely in muddy conditions
- experience points and skills for crew members
- panzerfaust attacks
- AI behaviour of AT Guns greatly improved, their facing is also now tracked
- wound system for crew has been improved
- counterattack scenarios
- some sounds and animations, more to come
- morale levels, pinning, stunning, and breaking for enemy units

GJK

I just grabbed the most recent build of this and *wow*, there's a lot of new features and it looks really good.  Hey, if you play OOTP or other text based sports sims, well there's no difference here in how this one works.  If you played Patton's Best at some point or have heard of it and had an interest in it, you owe yourself the favor of grabbing this and giving it a try.  It would be interesting to see some people here post screenshots of their high scores and to see who can live the longest.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rev_Sudasana

Quote from: GJK on July 24, 2015, 05:21:48 PM
I just grabbed the most recent build of this and *wow*, there's a lot of new features and it looks really good.

Thanks! I feel like with recent versions it's really starting to come together.