Main Menu

ARMA 3

Started by Toonces, February 20, 2015, 03:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2016, 06:38:22 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 14, 2016, 06:10:26 PM
Sorry if I missed it....but besides content additions, are there any new campaigns and/or missions included with the new DLC?

Yes. 4 person co-op campaign.

Thank you...but stupid question....can a co op campaign be played purely single player?  Wasn't sure if it was made differently or harder to specifically be played with multiple people.

Yskonyn

Yes, its just an option to play co-op.
In singleplayer your squadmates are AI controlled.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Grim.Reaper

Sorry for all the questions, but strongly considering just some hesitation.....I have always sucked at controlling the vehicles and aircraft, did anything change with this update/DLC that possibly makes that easier?  Its probably largely me stinking at it, but I have always wanted to use them but quickly get frustrated, so I typically stick with controlling ground forces.

jomni

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 15, 2016, 06:42:39 PM
Sorry for all the questions, but strongly considering just some hesitation.....I have always sucked at controlling the vehicles and aircraft, did anything change with this update/DLC that possibly makes that easier?  Its probably largely me stinking at it, but I have always wanted to use them but quickly get frustrated, so I typically stick with controlling ground forces.

Just stick with infantry.

Jarhead0331

Practice makes perfect dude.

Land vehicles are pretty simple to operate. Multi-crewed vehicles like tanks can get a bit more complicated if you focus on performing just one role, such as commander, but it is still totally manageable.

Aircraft can be tricky, but fly enough and you will start to get the hang of it. I've come to absolutely love piloting helos, but fixed wing jets are still challenging. They move so fast and there is no autopilot. I find it difficult to use more complex avionics, like multi-function cameras, etc. while also flying straight, keeping on target and maintaining situational awareness.

Still, this game is a no brainer...not sure what your hesitation is about. Its A+ stuff and there is nothing else like it out there.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2016, 08:14:32 PM

Practice makes perfect dude.

Land vehicles are pretty simple to operate. Multi-crewed vehicles like tanks can get a bit more complicated if you focus on performing just one role, such as commander, but it is still totally manageable.

Aircraft can be tricky, but fly enough and you will start to get the hang of it. I've come to absolutely love piloting helos, but fixed wing jets are still challenging. They move so fast and there is no autopilot. I find it difficult to use more complex avionics, like multi-function cameras, etc. while also flying straight, keeping on target and maintaining situational awareness.

Still, this game is a no brainer...not sure what your hesitation is about. Its A+ stuff and there is nothing else like it out there.

I already have the core game, its more about whether I continue to invest in the new DLC....no doubt a game I should love and I do conceptually, just not very good at it, especially with the vehicles and aircraft.  Just tried an infantry mission, all my AI troops seem to easily spot the enemy and open fire....while I am just looking around aimlessly trying to locate the shooters before they nail me:)

Absolutely nothing against the game, its just my ability to play it...

jomni

Spotting can be a pain. To me, it all boils down to monitor setting and draw distance.
I've had worse spotting experience in Squad.

I avoid aircraft but I think you really need a flight stick / HOTAS for better control.

Jack Nastyface

Driving vehicles is tough if you use a mouse.  I only use WADS keys which makes life simpler.  As jarhead mentions, driving multi-position vehicles either solo or with a couple of AI crew can be tough.  I tend to assign an AI crew as commander or gunner, and place myself in the driving role for long-haul routes or "tricky" driving (through towns or into a hull-down position).  Once I am in a firing position or combat ops area, then I take the role of gunner / commander and let the ai do the driving using simple "forward / left / right / stop" commands with the WADS keyboard.  Sometimes I need to align the turret with the hull to figure exactly what IS left and right, but mostly it works.

Enemy AI can be a bitch.  I almost always start games with more realistic / difficult settings (no floating crosshairs, no 3D view, etc).  I tried setting the enemy AI to "difficult" in a dynamic campaign game and could barely make it out of my own start zone.  AI marksmen were landing hits at over 700m.  HAD to turn settings down.

Speaking of dynamic campaigns, I am currently playing some single player campaign stuff, and I am really enjoying the myriad of things this game allows me to do.  Just today I repaired an OPFOR mobile howitzer, then setup a remote designator on a hilltop with a view over an enemy held area.  I then switched between firing laser guided HE rounds from inside the MH, then using the UAV control to designate targets.  Lots of fun.

The only "issue" that I've recently encountered is the growing level of laddish behaviour on KOTH servers.  You used to be able to drop into the few hardcore servers and be almost guaranteed a great gaming experience.  Sure, there were occasional spawn trolls that would drive the HEMMT into everything, but that was fairly rare.  Now there are so many team killing griefers and goofballs filling the in-game voice comms with drivel that "good" games are becoming a rare thing.  Personally, I blame Obama.

Yours in gaming,

Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Silent Disapproval Robot

If you don't have one, I highly recommend picking up a TrackIR.  It works amazingly well with ArmA and will make your life much easier regardless of which role you choose to play. 

Yskonyn

+1

And look at Dyslexci's Controls setup video on his YT channel. Great tips for stream lining there!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on June 15, 2016, 10:34:35 PMdriving multi-position vehicles either solo or with a couple of AI crew can be tough. 

Bohemia needs to put serious effort into fixing the AI driving. It's a joke, and always has been. Simple solution: use the Steel Beasts model and let players drive vehicles from any position (having an AI driver would be required) instead of the current model of giving orders : "forward, left, left, forward, fast, right, right, right, right, right, fast"

Yskonyn

Well, it works pretty well if you don't interfere with it too much and use proper formation orders.
For example in the column formation vehicles will try to stick to roads, so you don't have to order the driver left and right (just like in SB Pro).
If you use a formation which is typically used off-road then you need to baby-sit it more. But ordering from the command position works pretty well.

I do agree though that the SB AI is more tight.

Jarhead0331

I'm not sure how reasonable it is to hold ARMA up to SB standards. Its one thing for a dedicated tank simulator to provide detailed and complex options for tank operations. its quite another to expect the same level of fidelity for an entire virtual warfare sandbox. One second the player may be in a tank, the next in a jeep, then on foot, in a helicopter, in an airplane, piloting a drone, while on a boat, etc. etc.

I think what ARMA does it does well. Not saying there isn't room for improvement...but, you know...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2016, 08:39:56 AM
I'm not sure how reasonable it is to hold ARMA up to SB standards. Its one thing for a dedicated tank simulator to provide detailed and complex options for tank operations. its quite another to expect the same level of fidelity for an entire virtual warfare sandbox. One second the player may be in a tank, the next in a jeep, then on foot, in a helicopter, in an airplane, piloting a drone, while on a boat, etc. etc.

I think what ARMA does it does well. Not saying there isn't room for improvement...but, you know...

I dont think having a reasonable driving model is asking for the same level of fidelity as Steel Beasts. If you have an AI driver, it should react to exactly what I'm inputting on my keyboard. Currently, there is too much lag between orders when the AI is driving.