Refunds on Nvidia’s GTX 970

Started by LongBlade, February 22, 2015, 02:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

QuoteNvidia and their hardware partners have remained mum about the furor buzzing around the GeForce GTX 970, but it looks like at least some disgruntled customers are receiving refunds for their graphics cards, courtesy of point-of-sale e-tailers like Amazon and Newegg.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Nvidia was also slapped with a class action lawsuit alleging false advertising of the GTX 970's capabilities late last week.

A quick catch-up: Nvidia's GTX 970 launched to universal acclaim for its stunning blend of power efficiency, pure performance, and a (comparatively cheap) $330 starting price point. In fact, the GTX 970 was so competitive that AMD was immediately forced to shave hundreds of dollars off its flagship Radeon graphics cards.

But gamers soon started noticing something amiss. Whenever the 4GB GTX 970 inched past 3.5GB of memory use, games began stuttering in certain scenarios. Nvidia was eventually forced to admit that the card actually uses a—let's say unconventional—memory design that splits the memory into two pools: A full-speed 3.5GB segment and a far slower 512MB segment. More concerning, Nvidia also revealed that the GTX 970 technical specifications sent to reviewers were incorrect and exaggerated due to an internal communications error. These facts came to light four month's after the card's launch.

source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2887142/amazon-newegg-apparently-offering-refunds-due-to-nvidia-gtx-970-memory-issue.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Huw the Poo

Wow.  Did they really expect to get away with that?  Most people buying that card are going to be the kind who will benchmark the shit out of them.

endfire79

"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

Asid

SHOCKING interview with Nvidia engineer about the 970 fiasco




Hitler Reacts To The GTX 970 Being 3.5GB + .5GB
http://youtu.be/tNGi06cq_pQ

Language warning!
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Jarhead0331

Sad thing is, its still a great card. Stupid to have let something like this happen.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 22, 2015, 03:50:04 PM
Sad thing is, its still a great card. Stupid to have let something like this happen.

Agreed.

Spending the extra time to hobble one of your product's performance, to make your higher-priced models continue to sell, is pretty shady stuff.

I'm glad some of the owners called them on this.  Hopefully it will make them think twice about doing it in the future.

Asid

War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

endfire79

Overclocking a laptop GPU - this is risky.  I understand on a desktop type rig or box , but a laptop?  Small tight area, not very good cooling - how much performance increase can a user get and at what cost? 

It sounds like Nvidia at least listens to their customer base's responses and criticisms and allowed the feature again. 

"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

JasonPratt

Quote from: Toonces on February 22, 2015, 04:11:51 PM
Quote from: endfire79 on February 22, 2015, 03:31:24 PM
I'll stick with the GTX 750 Ti :)

GTX 560Ti FTW!

{checking The Presence} {over a year since I bought it so I've forgotten what's under the hood}

GTX 690 SLI. Whew?  :-\
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

sandman2575

#10
Quote from: endfire79 on February 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM
Overclocking a laptop GPU - this is risky.  I understand on a desktop type rig or box , but a laptop?  Small tight area, not very good cooling - how much performance increase can a user get and at what cost? 

Exactly. Risk frying your $2K gaming laptop for the benefit of an extra 3-4FPS. Unwise.

The whole gtx970 thing seems like such a tempest in a teapot to me.

EDIT -- Jason you have 690 sli??  Isn't the 690 already a dual-gpu card?  Are you powering a NORAD array of 4K monitors with that?   :o

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 23, 2015, 10:01:46 AM

The whole gtx970 thing seems like such a tempest in a teapot to me.

I agree. It seems like a great card for the price. I'm still thinking about buying one.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


republic

I keep thinking I want to upgrade my GTX 660, but nothing really runs slow.  :\

I remember when in the 90's when a few months could make your computer worthless...now I'm a couple years into a build and everything is fine.

Asid

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 23, 2015, 10:01:46 AM
Exactly. Risk frying your $2K gaming laptop for the benefit of an extra 3-4FPS. Unwise.

It is about choice.



Quote from: sandman2575 on February 23, 2015, 10:01:46 AM
The whole gtx970 thing seems like such a tempest in a teapot to me.

It is about being misled

Regards
War in Pieces

Sign up for the Dogs Of War Vu newsletter @ www.dogsofwarvu.com 
I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

sandman2575

Not saying Nvidia didn't screw up, they clearly did. But the reaction from gamers seems a tad out of proportion to the crime.

But I admit I'm an inveterate "Team Green"-er, so I have a little bias...