Main Menu

Cities: Skylines

Started by Grim.Reaper, March 06, 2015, 07:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

What's the difference between the Deluxe and standard pre-order?

I've been yearning for a good city builder game
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 07, 2015, 09:00:18 AM
What's the difference between the Deluxe and standard pre-order?

I've been yearning for a good city builder game

I just ended up getting the standard version since I don't think I will care too much about the monuments and I am sure they will be cheap DLC at some point if I change my mind...it is basically an $8-$9 difference between the versions.

The Deluxe Edition:
Included in the Deluxe Edition are 5 In-game historical monuments from around the world, the games original soundtrack as well as a digital art book. 

Five in-game items include:
•Statue of Liberty
•Eiffel Tower
•Brandenburg Gate
•Arc de Triomphe
•Grand central terminal

Original Soundtrack: This Original Soundtrack includes 14 unique tracks mixed from the ambient music of the game, allowing you to enjoy the wonderful music whenever you want.

Digital Art book: See the concepts behind the buildings! The book features 32 hand drawn concepts of the game various buildings and the story behind each.

steve58

#17
I've pre-ordered as well.  Looking forward to it.  Looks like lots of stuff in the Steam Workshop already (so I read on the forums, can't see the Workshop myself yet).  Also saw a thread about a tool for downloading height maps.  Sounds like it may need some tweaking, but should be a great addition to the game.  Now we can all re-create our hometowns or current towns or anywhere  O0
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

JudgeDredd

Just pre-ordered - why not  ???
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

vyshka

With this showing up on GMG VIP for $21 and Sid Meier's Starships for $11, I should have some good gaming next week.

Martok

Not a "Day One" purchase for me, but I suspect I'll end up getting it sooner or later.  It does look pretty fun. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Barthheart

Anyone fire this up yet? Like I need another game but a "good" city builder would be nice....  ;)

Reading stuff like no disasters, fire and crime not much challenge......

glen55

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Zulu1966

Quote from: Barthheart on March 10, 2015, 01:41:35 PM
Anyone fire this up yet? Like I need another game but a "good" city builder would be nice....  ;)

Reading stuff like no disasters, fire and crime not much challenge......

Well this surprising if true , have bought the game but not played yet. I definitely saw a trailer showing a fire and fire engines putting it out.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Barthheart

Quote from: Zulu1966 on March 10, 2015, 02:09:22 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on March 10, 2015, 01:41:35 PM
Anyone fire this up yet? Like I need another game but a "good" city builder would be nice....  ;)

Reading stuff like no disasters, fire and crime not much challenge......

Well this surprising if true , have bought the game but not played yet. I definitely saw a trailer showing a fire and fire engines putting it out.

Oh there's fires but they don't spread or not very fast. And crime but a small police force can keep it check.  But there are no Earthquakes, tornadoes, giant robots etc that you can trigger on your city.

JudgeDredd

I fired it up briefly and two things stuck out...


  • The location to build in...quite small (at least limited anyway)
  • SLOW DOWN...I wanted to slow it down, but it was already on the slowest of 3 speeds. Pause works to help, but still...wanted slow slow
I'm off to play it a bit more
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

vyshka

Quote from: Barthheart on March 10, 2015, 01:41:35 PM
Anyone fire this up yet? Like I need another game but a "good" city builder would be nice....  ;)

Reading stuff like no disasters, fire and crime not much challenge......

I've seen fire pop up on a number of streams of the game.

I see someone has already made a mod to remove chirpy from the game.

JudgeDredd

Well - played a bit more. The speed is a bit frenetic for me. Likely not bad for lots - but it does seem a bit like other Paradox titles (eg HoI, EUIV etc) where information is only just given and sinks in just before you get overloaded with more.

For example, you start with just a few things you can do...build roads, build low housing and commerce and industry...get that done, along with water, electricity and waste disposal and the money trickles in. As you reach different milestones, other services and buildings become available.

The "info overload" isn't quite as fast and hard as the titles I mention - but it does seem to be going on at a "ever so slightly too fast" mode for me. I would like another option or two to slow it down.

Overall, it seems standard fair akin to Sim City (take your pick which one...but I'm referring to 4 I think). It's all there seemingly...water, electricity, waste, sewage, education, healthcare, police, fire, city enhancements like parks.

There are "policies" which you can set city wide or by district (so split your city up into districts). I haven't delved much into them but they look like they might be cool.

I'm struggling to find out why residents are unhappy. I mean you have the usual fair of putting things around to help like healthcare and police as examples, but I've looked at the "happiness" tool and highlighted a building and I can't seem to understand why they aren't happy. Maybe it's just reflecting real life where some people are just never happy or satisfied.

One thing that struck me about this and took me back to my Sim City 4 days was I suck at city building. I'm so busy pleasing everyone, I run out of money and my planning is pretty poor. I'm always trying to squeeze things next to each other which always results in bad roads and bad pollution resulting in mass unhappiness and anarchy  ;D

Very pretty game I thought and looks like all the options are there and possibly some other things not seen before (policies?). Whether it's all balanced and works, I don't know...time will tell.

I've given up on my second city and about to start on my third and try to make it nice and neat with big roads and space between everything so pollution stays away and everyone's happy (yeah....right!)

So far   O0  O0  O0
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Father Ted

Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 10, 2015, 04:05:38 PM


I've given up on my second city and about to start on my third and try to make it nice and neat with big roads and space between everything so pollution stays away and everyone's happy (yeah....right!)



I think that's what I like about these games: "This time I'll..." and then it never quite works, so it's "Next time I'll..."

Watching these posts carefully JD...Paypal may be about to take a hit

JudgeDredd

Next city is coming along nicely. I've managed to keep industry away from residential by putting commercial between. I also started with big roads with space between them.

I'm staying green for the mo with Wind Turbines, but they are costly per output and energy keeps being used rapidly...I wish people would stop recharging shit!  :buck2:

Money is coming in, the fire department seem to be able to attend good enough, though the one way system I built needed some tweaking with "short cuts" between places to facilitate their work. Education is on the up and I might need a high school soon.

All in all, this one looks good. I was confident enough to save this one.

Also, the "small starting space I mentioned earlier when starting a game, you are offered the option of buying more land...so expansion is possible. I'm not sure what that mechanic is tied to though as my city was not much bigger (if at all even now) than my last one and I wasn't offered to purchase more land...but I'm sure all will become apparent.

Early doors - but I haven't seen anything to disappoint me yet.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people