Main Menu

Attila or Homeworld?

Started by LongBlade, March 08, 2015, 10:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

OK folks. I'm thinking I want a game. One new PC game. I've got a great tabletop gaming community and am being drawn in that direction but I still want a PC game to hold my attention.

So which should I get? Attila or Homeworld?

Let the fighting begin!

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

What other Total War games do you have? Did you play the original Homeworld games?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2015, 10:50:49 AM
What other Total War games do you have? Did you play the original Homeworld games?

I've played most of the Total War family. Loved Rome 2.

I'm not 100% sure but I *think* I bought Homeworld a year or two after it was originally released but never got into it. However, I'm really tempted by it - a good scifi game could really scratch an itch. Besides, now I have Star to bug about how to get good at it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Get Panthers in the Fog. You can bug Star about that one too.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: LongBlade on March 08, 2015, 10:53:57 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2015, 10:50:49 AM
What other Total War games do you have? Did you play the original Homeworld games?

I've played most of the Total War family. Loved Rome 2.

I'm not 100% sure but I *think* I bought Homeworld a year or two after it was originally released but never got into it. However, I'm really tempted by it - a good scifi game could really scratch an itch. Besides, now I have Star to bug about how to get good at it.

Definitely go with Homeworld. It must be experienced. Its a spectacular game. I have all the Total War games and I'm having trouble getting into Attila. I would say get it eventually, but if its between Homeworld and Attila right now, I think its an easy choice under the circumstances.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


GDS_Starfury

get Homeworld.  at the very least it will make commanding TW armies that much easier.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

besides... what other game let you wear your Starfleet uniform while playing?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Gusington

I can vouch for Attila being a great game. It's definitely the toughest in the TW series, by far. But I know LB is skilled in the ways of TW.

I also know that LB loves his epic sci fi. And that is HW to a tee, too.

I went the easy route...I got both. I have about 25 hours into Attila right now and although it is tough game, I am really enjoying it. I may take a break this week from Attila to play some HW and Starships, but I know I will go back to Attlia and put in 100s of hours.

I guess I have not answered the question :)
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

I voted Homeworld. It looks purty...

Actually, I don't have either but I played HW1 a while back and I also have R:TW2. My unsubstantiated hunch is that the HW Remastered will make for more of a change if you have been on the Rome2 party bus as of late.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mikeck

I would say Homeworld for one reason since they are both great games: you already have Rome2 and that's close enough to Atilla. There is nothing like Homeworld...even if you just skirmish
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

W8taminute

I would choose Homeworld simply because I overlooked that game when it first came out and I already have a good collection of TW games. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

mikeck

Plus, when the big mode like "complex" or "PDS" come out for the remastered game, watch out
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 08, 2015, 11:25:43 AM
this is from a HW2 mod:


Holy crap.  Please tell me this mod is available for the remastered version!! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces